Author Topic: Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com  (Read 28805 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Volition: 'We'd Kill To Make FreeSpace 3' on Nowgamer.com
It's pretty obvious to me that the Ancient will only appear under the form of artefacts such as the Knossos.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The Shivans being a 'symptom of a bigger problem' and the Ancients 'playing a bigger role' doesn't mean we'll be fighting super uber duper evil faction and/or the ancients.

It could be as simple as the third game following some of the promo bits for the FS2 plot: the GTVA has scouted out the expanse of the ancient's empire and all ships have returned but one... *dum dum dum*
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

No the should not, all the user made stories would be for nothing :-| IMHO the community dug too deep for the original author to have any right for continuing the canon story without consulting with all of us :D

They really should ask us first.
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Don't be needlessly entitled fans.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
No the should not, all the user made stories would be for nothing :-| IMHO the community dug too deep for the original author to have any right for continuing the canon story without consulting with all of us :D

I lol'd.

I don't know of a single game company who consults with fans before changing the storyline.  Volition is likely no exception.
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

You both are silly. It's their game, their universe, their development. They have every right to change it as they please without consulting with the fans.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
You both are silly. It's their game, their universe, their development. They have every right to change it as they please without consulting with the fans.

And we have every right as fans to scream at them for doing things that are stupid or nonsensical.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And we have the freedom as fans to scream at them for doing things that are stupid or nonsensical in our opinion.

I fixed that for you.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
if volition were really serious about wanting to release FS3, they could lend a hand to HLP in upgrading the engine and "leak" ultra secret "if we get the IP back" story and ship designs to select members of HLP so it could be developed.
>Implying that this isn't happening already and that Darius isn't actually a secret :v: agent.
and for the love of GOD don't anyone take this too srsly
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Drogoth

Wow where did this sense of entitlement come from?

"They really have no right to make a story without consulting us?"

Their story. Their rights. I trust them to do a good job, their 2 for 2 on that so far.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Kouadio

If they were planning to do more than 2 games from the start, i think they already have a story locked up somewhere. The problem with that thing is that interplay has to key to unlock it, until then :v: has to keep quiet about it.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
In order for this to be made, a reasonable return on any investment would have to be predicted. I see two possibilities if this were to happen:

Small Scale: PC Only release. Basically, a smaller team builds FS3. Smaller team means a smaller investment. Since the genre has a perceived small audience, making a smaller investment would match and be a safer bet. The benefit to us would  be a game that catered to what we like, as opposed to mass market appeal. This option would more likely yield mod tools as well, because a smaller investment by the powers at be would mean that extra time/money being spent on tools that have more value in the small audience they targeted could result in more sales. Downside is the potential for a smaller campaign/game with a limited investment.

Large Scale, AAA title: This kind of investment would require the largest audience possible. Any game with big funding needs big profit, so I simultaneuos release of both PC and console versions would make the most financial sense. Less complex controls would occur, as console controller compatibility would be a requirement. That could turn out to be a good thing, depending on how creative V gets. Plus side to us: Potentially Long campaign, more players. Down side is that mod tools will lose value as a large portion would not have any access to them, meaning time and money spent will not equal the same return on the investment.

My .02
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

So, what is going on here is the basic question of, will you love FS3 or will you hate FS3? (I believe this question was asked before)
Love it because you love the story and want to see what happens next.
Hate it because you have such high expectations that will never be met.
Personally I hate it, because because it wont be made by HLP. The only way I would love it is if they hired HLP members for their team, or input.
Fat people are harder to kidnap :ha:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
And we have the freedom as fans to scream at them for doing things that are stupid or nonsensical in our opinion.

I fixed that for you.

Considering freedom of speech is a right, no, you did not. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Kind of unrealistic, FL.

I honestly admit I have a (possibly unrealistic) fear of the SCP ending, or at least drastically shrinking in the event FS3 is made. I think the likely scenario would be that the FSU gets kicked into overdrive due to people wanting to play the originals to find out what happened, but want to play with better graphics.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
Well, no matter what, HLP is and will be the greatest FS resource and community... I don't think that it would be "pushed down", especially if FS3 would not be easily moddable...and if it is, we just continue ;-)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My 2 cents...

FS3 just won't ever be made. The rights the Freespace are lost in limbo, not to mention that they are for an *unprofitable* genre.

I'm not saying you can't hope.. but just don't bet on anything ever happening.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
With so many great mods around (*wink*Blueplanet*wink*) I don't know if FS3 is really needed.

Offline Drogoth

With so many great mods around (*wink*Blueplanet*wink*) I don't know if FS3 is really needed.

As great as all these mods are, and don't get me wrong, they are absolutely BRILLIANT, there is always that nagging sensation in the back of my head saying 'its not canon'
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:03:22 pm by Drogoth »
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, exactly.  No matter how it would turn out quality-wise, there's a part of me that will always want to see how :v: would have continued the story.