Author Topic: OT-Religion...  (Read 114002 times)

Originally posted by Styxx
It comes down to numbers then? Is killing 38000 people is worse than killing 150? Is killing one person not as attrocious as killing 150?

You agree with CP's idea that people are nothing but numbers, I assume... :p

By your logic, there's nothing more horrific about a serial killer as compared to a one-time murderer.

Still, you're very good.  I commend you for twisting my words extremely well. :nod::yes:
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by NotDefault
By your logic, there's nothing more horrific about a serial killer as compared to a one-time murderer.

Still, you're very good.  I commend you for twisting my words extremely well. :nod::yes:

You're saying that a serial killer is worse than a one-time murderer? Tell me then, would you rather see a thousand strangers die or only one person - the one you love most?
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Actually i'd rather die in their place but that's beside the point.

I don't honestly beleive there's much contest -
while a thousand strangers could be a total bunch of idiots, theres a larger potential for them to do something that will make the world a better place than this one person you care about the most.

Of course it would be better if Neither were killed, but still.

Murder in any way, shape or form is inexcusable at any rate, and should be treated as such (not a poxy 20 years in prison.)

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Originally posted by wEvil
Murder in any way, shape or form is inexcusable at any rate, and should be treated as such (not a poxy 20 years in prison.)

But are murderers not victims themselves - victims of improperly formed moralities, previous life events that turned them into murderers (in the same manner as sex offenders are sometimes those who were sexually abused as children)?

Surely the best treatment for criminals is treatment, not punishment. Whilst I agree that we live in a society where the public and the families of victims wouldn't support such a scheme, and would demand at least some form of punishment alongside treatment. However, the fact remains that the majority of clinical and psychological studies show those who are treated alongside prison sentences do not re-offend.

Treatment basically involves reducing denial, correcting falwed thinking patterns, increasing empathy and anger management training.

If you don't believe me, look up Grendon Underwood Therapeutic Prison on Google. :)

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
Some "corrective therapies" could be punishments enough in themselves, but I agree causing more suffering certainly is no cure.

In terms of my smoking - well, I haven't had a cigarette in a couple of days and I feel fine.  I don't really smoke at home at all.

Course, i'll start smoking when i go back to uni or go out for the night....but If I sat at home for 6 months without a fag then when out and smoked one does that mean i'm still an addict, even if every trace of the compound was long removed from my system?

To be honest I'd still probably smoke if there wasn't any nicotine in there, I just like the taste of the smoke.  simple.  And before you go labelling me as odd I also like eating green olives, so there :p

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This is going to be my last relatively long argument post on this thread, since I am also starting to become bound by time constraints these days and I would have finished my campaign by now if I had not spent so much time in this topic, so this is about it for me, at least for the time being. ;)

Also, regarding the nature of my becoming a Christian, you assume more than you justifiably can. I have said that both I and my family are Christians, but I did not say that I was raised as one, nor that I became one without thought or reason. You do not know the details of my coming to accept Christianity, not why I did so. I would also point out that the process by which I personally came to accept these beliefs has no bearing on whether they are true. That is dependent upon the claims posited by the religion, and it would be specious to attempt an argument against their truth based upon the process by which an individual came to accept them.

So you are saying that you came into contact with the ideas later in your life, which is essentially equivalent to what I was saying earlier, because humans can be convinced of just about anything with a little bit of effort. (how do you think that Hitler and bin Laden for example, gained so many followers so easily?) And you do indeed need to take into account the method in which the knowledge is assimilated if you are attempting to judge them as an individual, because as I said earlier, the taking in of ideas influences the method in which you judge them. The best way to circumvent this difficulty is to have multiple individuals who have all accepted an idea through different procedures judge it. This doesn't say anything about whether the idea is actually true or not, but that is irrelevant here, as the "truth" of an idea can only be established by direct sense perception, but we are talking about what is the best approach to discovering something on which there is little agreement within the world. Reading the Bible and being convinced of its soundness or having someone else recite the ideas into you (church worker, friend, whatever) is almost as bad as being brought up with them initially. If you came into contact with any religion with the rationality and logical reasoning that you claim to have used, you would have discovered everything independently so as to not be influenced by foreign ideas that are currently indeterminate, and the probability of you coming up with almost exactly the same stuff as what is in the Bible is vanishingly small and does not really need to be taken into account here.

The personal god of any sort who has feelings/objectives/etc. is completely out of the question here due to the glaring contractions that come up in almost every facet of reasoning while explaining our world, and the concept of morals goes along with it, because without the god, as you said earlier, morals are meaningless. Some religions claim to have a universal, impersonal god who is just a being, but anything that is considered "alive" and "conscious" must have motives, so either they come to the personal god conclusion or go to science. We are left to consider whether science has any meaning or this nihilism is the correct route, and a long set of reasoning finds some "inherent flaws" (more on this in a bit) in nihilism as well.

"Christians" who do not believe that Jesus was resurrected are left to consider the whole religion as nothing more than a very large metaphor telling us that we ought to be nice to each other.

Tell me how it, or any other religion for that matter, is anything more than that, even with this stupid "resurrection" in there.

Those that are growing are those that still actually believe that this stuff is real, because they actually have something to offer to people.

This is why people accept these religions so readily as far as the second purpose goes. If there was a religion where anyone who believed in it could become the god themselves, I bet everyone would instantly flock towards it.

There is something further to be said regarding choice. If choice is to be possible at all, there must be options between which to choose. The imperative "Choose!" makes no sense until one sets it in a context of choosing between, say, 31 flavours of ice cream. Even if I were to give you that imperative without a specified context, the only way you could comply would be to invent a set of options for yourself, and then choose between them. Try it. Choice entails the presence of options. Thus, if an ICV is to be permitted to choose good, there must of necessity be an alternative option. If we do not set up this alternative, there is no possibility for the choice. Therefore, if God wants us to be able to choose good, we need to be able to choose evil as well, and if he wants us to be able to chose to love and follow him, we must be able to chose to hate and rebel against him, and it seems that he does want to put this choice before us.

You are missing the point again. He made the whole concept of our choices and free wills. The only way that he could not be held responsible for our choices would be if our "free wills" somehow already existed in the universe and were not a product of his "creation" and he put them into us, but you are saying that he made everything, and so he alone is responsible for everything.

One thing I don't understand about most religions is why they need their supreme being to also be a "good" being; if a real supreme being was there that fit in with science, he would go by complete indifference to everything and couldn't have cared less about what happens in the universe. :rolleyes:

1) I didn't say logically explicable. I said logically possibly explicable, as in it is a logical possibility that your existence be explained. 2) Granted, I assume you are human as I am, and thus find your existence logically possibly explicable (i.e. by your parents). 3) If we eliminate all external assumptions, then this theory becomes meaningless. Without the idea of explanation, "God" is not an explanation of the existence of the world, the purple dragon is not an explanation of the existence of "God," and you are not an explanation of the existence of the purple dragon. 4) If you are in fact God, why are you arguing against your own existence?  

But I made the concept of explanation as well! I am not god, but I made the purple dragon and the purple dragon made god, so I indirectly made god. It holds together even better than the Christian theory. :D

Ah, but if, as I maintain, we have an independent free will, then at least one of those universal conditions is that of my choice, and that is not mathematically pre-determined. So sure, if all the conditions are the same I will respond in the same way, but the question is whether the all-important condition of my choice is the same or not.

I said if all other conditions are the same, including those of the particles in your brain that make up your "free will."

Why as a person and not a force? As I said before, probably to make the revelation more meaningful to us human persons. Beyond that, I suggest you ask him. All I know is that he did. As for his not seeming impressive to you, and the fallacy of assuming that a similarity in one respect means similarity in all respects, see above.

You are trying to dodge the question. It would have been equally "meaningful" to us if he showed himself in the form of a force. For example, why did he not manifest himself as, let's say, a talking tornado or a ghost with psychic powers? It would have meant just as much to us as a person, and we would have been much more impressed. This point of "free will" is the critical similarity that can determine every other property because, as you yourself said, the condition of this choice is the all-important one. What differentiates "intelligent" living beings from nonliving objects is this concept of "free will," which gives life a number of benefits as well as a number of deficiencies. If he has such a "free will," which you claim he does, he will have very similar capabilities as far as his thought processes go, seeing as this will determines all our actions.

Well, no you couldn't give more, since for every P there is a P*, and for every Q there is a Q*. But on to the real meat of this paragraph: there is a fundamental error in your logic here (this is an extremely common error, evidenced in numerous other posts in this thread as well). Monotheism, atheism, polytheism, pantheism, animism, and any other like belief that one cares to think of posit claims regarding metaphysical reality. Scientific enquiry has as its field of investigation the physical realm of matter and energy, and as such provides no information regarding the metaphysical. The logic that runs "Science provides me with no information regarding the truth of any metaphysical claim, therefore the metaphysical claim that there is no God is true," is grossly faulty. So long as our view of knowledge is confined to the sphere of science, the only logical positions available are "hard" and "soft" agnosticism, respectively the beliefs that we cannot know what metaphysical reality is like, or that we simply do not know. Thus, like all metaphysical claims, atheism is not a viable conclusion to be reached from pure scientific enquiry. One may certainly hold to it and to scientific knowledge, but one cannot argue that one's metaphysical position is based upon science.

Since you are using science here, I think I should point out that one of the fundamental axioms of science is to "disbelieve everything without proof." I can see the problem in the wording of that though, so I'm not going to argue too much there. But then tell me, why does the purple dragon, a shivan, or anything else you can think of not exist? And no, you cannot have a P* for every P. Here is an example: if you can give me a logically consistent counterstatement (an opposite '*' statement) for the following statement, I will concede that you are the greatest thinker in the world. :D

This is a true sentence.

This is where the elimination procedure comes in handy. Any statement can proved to be correct if all counterstatements that exist in the same system are contradictory. We use the same principle when thinking about the god thing. If a god made everything, he would have also made the concepts of logic and mathematics (or any equivalent) that were used to make the things, but by the very definition of "making," he cannot escape the logic, especially since he thinks just like a human (as you have already said). If he did not make the logic, the logic precedes him and is thus the god itself. So much for that. We now look at what science says: it asserts that some sort of order (logic) is an inherent property of matter, because if it was an entirely human invention, humans would have needed to use logic to arrive at the result of logic (and this is when they do not have logic), which is contradictory. This property of logic was created by whatever events came before, which by the way were no "better" than anything else as this god is supposed to be, and the sequence goes back into infinity.

Also, regarding the P and P* statement, we as humans think in a certain way (rules of problem-solving) in that one of the two is closer to what we actually perceive, so we are back to the simplicity argument. Unless this god shows up and lets everyone know he is around (and he must be quite a coward if he exists and still has not done so), the statement "god does not exist" will make our equation simpler than "god exists." Your "grossly faulty" statement makes complete sense going by the problem-solving rules, because it boils down to this: nobody can perceive god, god does not fit in at all with the currently accepted science which we can and have used to predict the future, there is no great contradiction in science yet that can only be explained by god, and the original purposes of god have long since been fulfilled. For example, by your reasoning, the equations x+y=1 and x+y+z+sin(xy/z)=1 are of equal "complexity" for the purposes of solving, which is similar to what a god would do to both science and our perception.

I said before that I am an agnostic as far as my core ideas go, but I am not going to needlessly take the existence of the god into calculations unless there is more definite proof, so in theory I am a "hard agnostic," but in practical affairs I am an atheist. Also, I would advise you not to use arguments that can be used just as easily against you: if you think that atheism is not a solution, theism is no more of a solution either. :p

But if nothing matters, why don't you live your life by the outcome of a coin toss? (seriously ;))

Also, I would like to point out a glaring inconsistency in your philosophy here, CP5670. As an atheist, you deny the existence of God. This of course means that all of these things which you have just declared meaningless have arisen as a sort of evolutionary hiccup, and cannot be said to have any objective or absolute grounding. This means that values are nothing, silly and illogical lies we tell ourselves. But at the same time, you insist that we should try to usurp God's throne, and that stagnation of society's pursuit of knowledge is bad, that we ought to overcome our emotional nature to obtain the better state of purely rational existence, and that independent critical thought is good, and that ambition ought to be kept because it pushes us forward to new heights of achievement, which is the most important thing for us to do. You do, in fact, hold to certain values and ideas of good and bad and of should and ought. Of course you do; you are, after all, human.

I know, I am just a silly human, and have thus been ingrained with these human values throughout the course of my life as well. However, these "values" cannot really be said to amount to objectives as anything more than a motivation for completing them. The objectives I have given were discovered through an elimination procedure; in other words, they were found because all other systems led either to contradictions or to the eventual demise of humanity. Now whether we want the latter or not is a matter of debate (although even it can be shown to be inconsistent), but taking it as an assumption for the moment, the scientific path is the only system that at least is free of contradictions, even if it might be difficult in other ways. I fail to see how that says anything about values in the humanistic sense, which are the ones I am condemning. (I never said values are useless, only that these human ones are, and even that only holds in future eras)

Jesus Christ was not merely a prophet of God. He was God himself become a man like us in order to redeem us from destruction through his death and resurrection (how that works is a whole other topic, and doesn't really contribute to this argument, so let's just leave it for now that this is the Christian theological position with which we have to work). Neither Moses, nor Mohammed, nor Hitler, nor Einstein, nor bin Laden, nor Mike from Kanmore were/are what Jesus is, and thus did not do what he did.

Wait, so Christ was all of god concentrated into a finite thing? (human) So much for the infinite god. :p But in any case, he was god in the form of a human, which is pretty much what all the other religions claim for their prophets. In other words, at the most he is the equal to any of those other men you mentioned. Also, why did he want to redeem us when he created all the faults in us? Did he intend to correct some mistake he had made earlier when making us? And how the heck does becoming a man, dying and coming back alive "redeem" anyone or do anything constructive for that matter? That makes about as much sense as I defragging my hard drive in order to "redeem" humanity from their "sins." :rolleyes:

Well, space certainly seems to be an infinite thing. One can multiply or divide finite amounts of space, but attempts to do so with all of space as a whole yield meaningless results. And all that is contained within the natural realm certainly interacts with space, indeed in space.

You can certainly use some calculus techniques though to compare both transfinite and infinite parts of space directly, though. For example, it is easy to compare the ratio of the volumes of a sphere with an infinite radius and that of a cube with infinite edges.

After all, concepts such as finite, infinite, transfinite and the like are all really terms that relate to the natural realm, and so perhaps it is to be expected that they would not serve well as descriptions of supernature. God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent (whence the inference to infinite comes), but he is also quite able to interact with his creation. Thus I think I shall find that the term infinite, as described by you, is insufficient to properly describe God, and I shall have to refine my terms and say that God is not bound or subject to any natural limitations.

So now you are going against the mathematics. It turned out just as I said earlier; you are ready to accept the science as long as it does not contradict with the religion, but if it does, the religion takes precedence. :rolleyes: And how do you define a limitation anyway? A limitation can be a strength depending on what you are taking it with respect to.

As for wanting to usurp the throne, I can only say that I find your position at once nearly incomprehensible and deeply saddening.  

Incidentally, that's precisely what the average German thought of Hitler during the early years of the Nazi regime; he was their true friend, and it was thus deeply saddening to see people plotting against him or even questioning his practices and authority.

No, the logic here is impeccable, actually. The first time I encountered this argument I had to reread it a couple times very carefully to get exactly what it was saying. 3 and 4 do not say the same thing at all. To put 3 into a slightly different form with fewer relative clauses to clog up the reader's understanding, For any existential proposition (E), (E) must either be a member of the set (LPE) or of the set (not-LPE). 4 says something quite different, namely that The truth of the members of the set (LPE) as a whole can only be explained by the truth of a member of the set (not-LPE). The two are quite different, as you can now hopefully better see.

I looked over it again more closely, and yes, I can see the difference this time. Nevertheless, your argument does indeed fall apart when one starts to move into the transfinite and infinite realms, which is what we are dealing with here. Let us suppose that we have a statement, and we find some explanation that shows it to be true. We then find another explanation that proves the validity of that explanation. A third explanation is then conceived of that proves the second explanation. We can theoretically continue this explanation process into infinity as long as we have a method of determining an explanation from the statement it explains, and this works just like an infinite series does. Now you are saying that because an infinite sum is infinite, it cannot be solved, which is true as long as we try to add up all the parts manually. But this is exactly why we have inductive reasoning and the fourth rule of problem-solving. We determine patterns in the chains of existing principles and use those to find the limiting principle at the end rather than going by a step-by-step route; this is the goal of all science.

Calling everything that we don't understand "god" is the fool's answer to things; for the fourth time, I point you to what I said earlier about planetary motion. The people are too stupid to try to break the planetary motion principles down into mathematical laws, and so it is all "god." According to you, just because we cannot explain something at the moment, not only is it impossible to explain it, but it is also the work of a magical man and no further explanation is needed or can be given.

You may continue in this inconsistency if you wish, of course. You may continue to hide behind the idea that "I have to have my axioms to think" and pretend that that somehow settles the matter of whether the axioms are valid. You will always have to deal with that nagging doubt that persists in asking you why these axioms are any good, why you hold to these values when there is no value, and indeed why you even trust your brain to be able to find truth, but of course you can just ignore those questions if you wish. You can even try to pin your hopes on the future, as if a complete account of the functioning of the universe might somehow give value to it or prove that this knowledge of it is itself legitimate. But you'll forgive me, though, if I try to follow a system that actually gives me answers to those questions. You see, I don't mind admitting that God is God.

Heh, that is what I think of the religious crowd. Of course I have to deal with these doubts, especially the last part, seeing as the human brain is quite limited in certain ways, but once again, we use the elimination procedure. If I assume the other case, that my brain is incapable of anything, I reach a dead-end; I cannot go anywhere from there at all, and therefore there is no choice but to go by the other explanation. (once again, elimination procedure) Then you bring up the case of "values" again, which in the context you are using could be interpreted to mean just about anything. I am only talking about the common "humanistic" values, as in the ones you mentioned, being useless because of their inherent contradictions and unsuitability for changing conditions. Everything has values and has no values as far as the universe as a whole is concerned here. I am talking about objectives, of which these "moral values" are simply a subset that have both good and bad effects on humans. (what matters here is not so much that they are "good" or "bad," but rather that they are inconsistent) This ties intimately into the system of ideas; they can be thought as waves, since they have the potential to change the properties of matter, but they cannot actually be said to exist alone and are merely disturbances in other matter. The only reason I like ambition is because it the main force in holding a society together. And yes, a complete account of the universe without contradictions in accordance with what we perceive will indeed prove its legitimacy; that is what science is all about.

But you are saying that your system (Christianity) gives a shortcut answer to all this. What is that answer? Why must a god exist? What would happen if a god did not exist and the Bible was a farce? If removing the "resurrection" also removes all these "answers," that says something about the credibility of the whole thing. One method here cannot be any more correct than the other as far as we know if we go by theory alone, and thus we must fall onto our perception to shift the probabilities. I said this earlier: if no information is available on a proposition, it is better to leave it indeterminate instead of reaching an answer based on insufficient data. However, this only applies to statements on which the probability is exactly equal to that of any other explanation, which is not really the case here although you seem to be claiming it, because we have our perception leaning in the other direction. (again, show me this god)

The biggest problem is not any of that though, but this: If the god exists, why does the purple dragon, the Shivan, and anything else you can think of not exist as well?

And you should mind admitting it, seeing as calling something "god" in the way you are talking of it here is to basically to not only accept your own stupidity without knowing of its truth or falsehood, but also the dominance of someone over you (assuming this person exists); if everyone had thought like this throughout history, there would be no such thing as revolution and we would still be living as monarchist societies.

So then the choices are either to accept the only available explanation of the event (i.e. that God healed my brother) or to insist that some other explanation must be the truth, despite there being no other explanation available.

Here's a better explanation: god had absolutely nothing to do with it, but page 863 in my math book was responsible for the healing of your brother. Now prove to me that it is or is not so. :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2002, 02:11:45 pm by 296 »

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Originally posted by CP5670
Incidentally, that's precisely what the average German thought of Hitler during the early years of the Nazi regime; he was their true friend, and it was thus deeply saddening to see people plotting against him or even questioning his practices and authority.

Aiiee! Stop talking about the Germans!! They're my Germans, and I won't have you and your generalisations implicating them in Hitler's deranged schemes! :D

There are good reasons for this, but the post looks odder if I leave them out. ;)

Well, okay then....

Hitler was not, contrary to popular belief, elected on a primarily anti-Semitic ticket. After the Wall Street Crash and the abject failure of the Weimar government to deal with it, Hitler was just a popular alternative. The Weimar system was broken, so they threw it out. :)

To some extent this ties in with the fact that the previous period of economic prosperity occurred under a dictatorship, and people were still young enough to remember it, yet old enough to remember it fondly. Hitler promised to destroy democracy, which had seemingly failed the German people (particularly the middle class who, in demographics are disproportionately represented in Nazi Party membership figures). In addition, the NSDAP's 25-point Plan was wide-ranging enough in scope to appeal to just about everyone, from full employment for the young up to big pensions for the old. Never mind that some of these things were outright lies - by 1933 the German people were, on the whole not bothered with the hocus-pocus of economics and there weren't many reliable figures to go on besides.

The final piece of evidence that Hitler wasn't elected on an anti-Semitic mandate was that he was forced to tone down that element of policy pre-election, because it was costing him votes. He also wasn't as universally popular as people make out: the highest percentage of the vote he received was 48.5% in 1932, falling in 1933. Whilst this is high, it means that 51.5% of people voted against him... :nod:

How do I know all this about German 'public opinion'? Well, we've got German friends who have elderly German parents who were alive in the era of the Third Reich, voting for him or in the youth groups or whatever. When I have spoken to them and heard of what they've said, they overwhelmingly speak not of a desire to exterminate the Jewry, but of the desire for a "change", and the belief that "Hitler was the man who could save us".

Now I am the first to admit that my sample is limited in size, and one wouldn't expect people to be talking about their desire to exterminate Jewry nowadays given the fate of the Nazis, but it is supported by a weight of official data... :D

===

Of course, once Hitler was 'elected' (more like appointed, by the scheming Conservative Party who hoped to exploit his popularity whilst reining him in with a cabinet of Conservatives rather than Nazis) it was all over. Hitler exploited the Reichstag fire, whether the Nazis or Van Der Lubbe did it, and removed the opposition quickly. In an atmosphere of fear and with Nazi guards at the provisional assembly (which the Communists were absent from, having been imprisoned, as were the majority of the Social Democrats) the Enabling Act was passed. The Enabling Act allowed Hitler to pass any decree without the assent of the Reichstag, thus bypassing them for good - because although the Act only lasted 4 years, he could unilaterally bump that up too. :p

Therefore, by this time anyone who wanted to oppose Hitler could not. The terror apparatus was in place, the courts and police favoured the Nazis, and there was no recourse to Parliament. It didn't matter what the average man thought; he couldn't do a thing.

Anyway, more on that tomorrow. It's a matter that could do with a bit more explanation, because on the whole people still supported Hitler at this time (again for largely economic reasons).

That was really interesting, Kellan. :nod::yes:
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

NotDefault

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That is some interesting information there, but I already know all that. :p As for asking someone about it today, is it the "politically correct" thing to do to view Hitler's anti-Jewish ideas with indifference or even only mild disgust? :D People frankly did not care one way or another about Hitler's anti-Semitism as long as it did not affect them - the situation of the average German was precarious enough that they were ready to do anything to restore their jobs and economy, and they did not need to create extra worries for themselves - and thus were lured by all the NSDAP propaganda devices into thinking that Hitler alone could fix everything. That's what I was earlier. And yeah, the 25 points were quite a joke; Strasser took off with a sizable portion of the party and tried to create a new party that would actually follow those points, but we all know what happened to him. :D

But what does that have to do with what we were talking about earlier? Just put bin Laden in there along with all his followers and the statement holds even better. Stop trying to derail the topic and respond to Sesq's comments on your posts!! :p :D :D

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
NotDefault: thanks. I guess all this studying for my History exams must be paying off. :D

Originally posted by CP5670
That is some interesting information there, but I already know all that. :p As for asking someone about it today, is it the "politically correct" thing to do to view Hitler's anti-Jewish ideas with indifference or even only mild disgust? :D People frankly did not care one way or another about Hitler's anti-Semitism as long as it did not affect them - the situation of the average German was precarious enough that they were ready to do anything to restore their jobs and economy, and they did not need to create extra worries for themselves - and thus were lured by all the NSDAP propaganda devices into thinking that Hitler alone could fix everything. That's what I was earlier. And yeah, the 25 points were quite a joke; Strasser took off with a sizable portion of the party and tried to create a new party that would actually follow those points, but we all know what happened to him. :D

Oh, okay. As I said above, my sources do have flaws. However, I agree that rather than being disgusted by the treatment of Jews people were mostly indifferent - through fear that they would attract the attentions of the SS and Gestapo by expressing outrage, or through conditioning by propaganda, or because they were concerned with other things, like how their sons, brothers and so on were doing on the Eastern Front. To some extent they could also have been kept in the dark about it all: the exterminations having taken place in Poland, far from prying eyes; and the mass of euphemistic language used to cover it up. Even if someone knew what "resettlement in the East" meant it would be easier to rationalize and deny with a euphemistic name.

But anyway... :wink:

But what does that have to do with what we were talking about earlier? Just put bin Laden in there along with all his followers and the statement holds even better. Stop trying to derail the topic and respond to Sesq's comments on your posts!! :p :D :D [/B]

It probably has nothing to do with it, you're right. :D As for responding to Sesq I have already PM'ed him some thanks but later today I will post my full thoughts on the more on-topic issues at hand...

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
First and foremost: CP, use the friggin size tags!!!!!!!!
Secondly: Bump.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Look who's interested in the religion thread, then... :wink:

That, or you're trying to start another big fight. :D

Originally posted by an0n
First and foremost: CP, use the friggin size tags!!!!!!!!

:confused:

Originally posted by an0n
Secondly: Bump.

:eek:

I'd never had thought the time would come when this thread would need bumpage.

But, anyway, if you're going to bump, you should use the excellent provided bump smiley.

:bump:

NotDefault

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
Well, it's time for a Semi-Humourous Update!

I did a General Studies (note: a useless pseudo-qualification valued by no University or employer) German exam today. The German part was a bit of guesswork, but I was surprised to see another section I had to write in English - an essay about culture, morality and society.

But I was okay. Guess what one of the question choices was? :D

Then I did another. It was about genetic modification of crops and humans. ;)

So thanks to everyone for contributing ideas to this thread and allowing me to go on and on about how society won't collapse without Church services, and how religious practice is becoming individualised - if it's necessary or desirable in the first place.

Oh and CP - you were right. It's easier to argue and essay logically than emotionally, so I did that. :p

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
i guess i'll be the bad guy.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1