Author Topic: Modern Warfare 3  (Read 6646 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Big reveal came up today.

Given everything (bad) Call of Duty has done to the industry, given the unforgivable evisceration of Infinity Ward by Activision on essentially criminal legal pretenses, given the primitive technology and narrative poverty the series has collapsed into, it is certainly my wish to see this installment fail.

At the same time I can't help but feel some kind of perverse excitement at all the spectacle. Call it Pavlovian.  :blah:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:36:48 am by General Battuta »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
To tell the truth, I never finished BlackOps.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's because it was bad.

Oh man, Kotaku just spoiled the entire plot, apparently it was leaked to them. It is

so

bad

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
You mean that plot..... http://kotaku.com/5801345/where-youll-go-how-youll-kill-and-who-will-die-in-modern-warfare-3

Yes it needs to be thrown into a black hole. Hello BF3 here we come....
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Now I'm usually pretty easygoing regarding this kinda stuff, but even I have to admit that this is, er...pushing the boundaries a little far. I read that piece on Kotaku asking myself exactly why Makarov is such a nutcase and why the frak everything is happening.

I preferred the original MW's story, I have to say. Devs need to keep things simple more often. Although it looks like this story might be fun to play (which I thought MW:2 was, hence why it got an easy ride from me), I'll be sure to switch my brain off at the door. They're going to have to be dumber than I imagined if they want to push this franchise into the fourth installment after this...

To tell the truth, I never finished BlackOps.
I thought the B.Ops story was cool by COD standards, but I'd support anyone who'd say that kind of story can be told in a better medium than COD. The earlier CODs were cool, they only pushed the envelope enough for us to think 'Hey, this is preeeettay cool man'. Nowadays they seem to be bent on developing the whole game whilst inserting pure adrenaline into their veins, which starts to decay beyond a certain point which they crossed with MW:2. I hope make this one fun to play through.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I really did like CoD4 (the first MW) quite a bit. I will argue for that game's narrative worth at length.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Gah, that plot looks like it's just excuse after excuse to add random scenery changes.

Would anyone else prefer it if this installment focused on the conventional war between the U.S. and Russia?  That could be pretty *****in, done right.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Gah, that plot looks like it's just excuse after excuse to add random scenery changes.

Would anyone else prefer it if this installment focused on the conventional war between the U.S. and Russia?  That could be pretty *****in, done right.

battlefield 3

I hope the Call of Duty series crashes, burns, and finally dies in a fire.  After MW2 and Black Ops, it will be a mercy kill.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
no chance, i understand that Guitar hero was dropped to give them more resources to develop CoD
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
no chance, i understand that Guitar hero was dropped to give them more resources to develop CoD

Guitar Hero was dropped because they saturated the market with product even though its initial success was driven by casual gamers.  Casual gamers that weren't going to buy 50 different versions of the same basic concept, they where going to buy it once and pull it out of the closet when they have friends over.  There were not enough consumers who were truly hardcore about it to support the rapid deluge of releases both Rock Band and Guitar Hero where making, especially with the massive copy write overhead for all the material.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

battlefield 3

DICE's stuff has always felt too... shiny, if that makes sense.  I prefer the feel of a Call of Duty game to a Battlefield game.  I would GLADLY play a game that had the CoD engine and feel but a Battlefield story.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

battlefield 3

DICE's stuff has always felt too... shiny, if that makes sense.  I prefer the feel of a Call of Duty game to a Battlefield game.  I would GLADLY play a game that had the CoD engine and feel but a Battlefield story.

That would be the worst thing. The CoD engine is so unforgivably terrible. And the 'feel' you're talking about is simply a product of the fact that you're playing on console and the CoD engine is running at 60 instead of 30 because consoles suck and can't run Frostbite at 60.

Also you are clearly talking out of your ass when you generalize to 'DICE's stuff' because BF2 and 2142 didn't look or feel anything like BC2. Call of Duty games ripped pretty heavily from BF2, it was one of the first things I noticed about the excellent CoD4 - it felt almost exactly like BF2 crossed with CounterStrike.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:39:38 pm by General Battuta »

Jesus Christ. CoD hasn't been good since UO. Just let this beast die.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm still boggling at the idea that anyone would seriously want to put a Battlefield story (what stories) on a Call of Duty 'engine' (quake 3 with hitscan guns)

Bizarro is that you

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I dunno the story sounds cool. I'd play it. Probably because I have completely and utterly stopped caring about the MW franchise.

Offline Nuclear1

Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 had the occasional cool moments
Spoiler:
Hell, I'll admit, I loved the prison break mission as well as the revelation about Rezhnov in BO, and I still like the last mission of Act 2 from Modern Warfare 2
but the series really is starting to take a nosedive.

I mean, the great thing about the original Modern Warfare and World at War was that they used special effects and amazing scenery to tell a really compelling story.  Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 used a plot to show off new special effects and scenery.

I'll still play MW3 just for the sake of closure.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I read enough reviews to skip MW2 but reading the plot for MW3?

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I still feel completely comfortable ignoring this entire series, especially after watching my brother play Black Ops multi.  Ugh.

...though that being said, I just picked up the original Call of Duty for PC at a used-book sale. :p

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Keep on beating that dead horse, Activision!

I hope they kill Doody like they killed Guitar Hero/Rock Band
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D