Author Topic: Modern Warfare 3  (Read 6644 times)

I really did like CoD4 (the first MW) quite a bit. I will argue for that game's narrative worth at length.

Same here; CoD 4 was one of my favorite FPS games, and considering that I'm not terribly fond of the genre in general, that's saying a lot. But they just had to turn everything up to 11 in MW2. It's like Michael Bay took over the production or something. "Realism? Nah, just make more explosions, that'll distract 'em."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So true. MW2 was such Michael Bay game. Which is a real pity because the first one had a great storyline.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I enjoyed the Michael Bayness of MW2. I admit I haven't played MW1 so I assumed that was how the first one was as well. I felt like I was playing in a big action movie like The Rock for example. Everything was definitely turned up to 11 and that seemed to be how it was supposed to be. It's also very cynical and kind of depressing at the same time... but I thought it was compelling for that sort of dark cinematic flair. I take it the first MW was a bit more realistic and less over the top?

Having come into Call of Duty very late on I can say that I really enjoyed MW2's single player and multiplayer but with Black Ops only the multiplayer aspect was compelling along with maybe the last 1/3rd of the single player. Prior to that I was more of a Rainbow Six: Raven Shield sort of FPS player. Battlefield 2 served me pretty well too. I like the spec ops tactical missions the best.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline mxlm

All I remember from 4 is infinite enemy respawns. Ugh.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
All I remember from 4 is infinite enemy respawns. Ugh.
Black Ops suffers from this as well. It's obvious and lazy... I didn't see it in Modern Warfare 2. Thankfully. I'm a tactical player who spends his time pushing forward and clearing out a place. If the enemy just respawns it gets silly for me.
- IceFire

I enjoyed the Michael Bayness of MW2. I admit I haven't played MW1 so I assumed that was how the first one was as well. I felt like I was playing in a big action movie like The Rock for example. Everything was definitely turned up to 11 and that seemed to be how it was supposed to be. It's also very cynical and kind of depressing at the same time... but I thought it was compelling for that sort of dark cinematic flair. I take it the first MW was a bit more realistic and less over the top?

Having come into Call of Duty very late on I can say that I really enjoyed MW2's single player and multiplayer but with Black Ops only the multiplayer aspect was compelling along with maybe the last 1/3rd of the single player. Prior to that I was more of a Rainbow Six: Raven Shield sort of FPS player. Battlefield 2 served me pretty well too. I like the spec ops tactical missions the best.

For a bit of clarification, I really didn't hate MW2. Turning up the mayhem and just blowing everything up isn't always bad (speaking of Michael Bay, Armageddon anyone? I love that movie). But I liked the plausible story of CoD4. The realistic setting and seriousness of everything just meshed well.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Yeah, CoD4 was kind of dark and ****ed up in all the right ways. MW2 was just... tacky.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

I still have my MW1 disk and serial code.  You guys are seriously making me want to re-install it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Yeah, CoD4 was kind of dark and ****ed up in all the right ways. MW2 was just... tacky.

The short "shock" missions are the best example, I think.

CoD4: Right after you save a downed chopper pilot and you're feeling awesome about your accomplishments, you get c**kslapped as a crazy terrorist detonates a nuke and you crawl around slowly dying of radiation poisoning.

MW2: Hey look, another nuke goes off...except now you're an astronaut...except you're not, because any rudimentary knowledge about how nukes work in space completely ruins it as you realize that the way things happen is complete crap. I can just imagine the dialogue:

Moronic Dev 1: Wait a minute...how do we top the mission in CoD4 after the nuke goes off?
Moronic Dev 2: Hmm...I KNOW! Put it in space.
Dev1: Space? But that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the game.
Dev2: Dude, who cares. Space is like bacon, it makes everything better!
Dev1: ...fine.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, and what's more the killing of the ISS crew was done by a supposedly good character in some totally retarded hair-brained scheme to save the United States, by nuking it. (!?!)

I actually suspect there was some massive rewriting and re-hashing of the storyline going on behind the scenes that led to MW2's trainwreck.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I just felt that COD4's storyline was actually 'Modern Warfare', it was proper Spec Ops stuff. Beyond there I think Modern morphed into Quasi-futuristic and as a result everything else began to shatter.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
I guess the interesting thing to watch for now is ... will MW3 be a worthy successor to either of it's predecessors or will the drama and developer turnover that occurred at Infinity Ward damage this installment of Call of Duty. Not sure. Battlefield 3 is looking like a strong contender... I may get the one for PS3 and the other for my PC (Battlefield is just such a perfect example of how big a FPS can be on PC).
- IceFire

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
Gah, that plot looks like it's just excuse after excuse to add random scenery changes.

Would anyone else prefer it if this installment focused on the conventional war between the U.S. and Russia?  That could be pretty *****in, done right.

battlefield 3
Pretty sure BF3 is doing NATO vs. China

MAYBE some Russia, but the fault line trailer's opponents are wearing gear very (deliberately, I bet) similar to current PLA.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Battlefield 2 was USMC versus PLA (China) versus MEC (fictional middle eastern coalition army). Maybe they will go for something similar with Battlefield 3? The trailer is kind of ambiguous about who they are fighting there. It may just be a setup anyways for something more intense.
- IceFire

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
First trailer's up.

It was pretty much the definition of  :blah:

Offline Nuclear1

Eh, if I'm going to be fighting Russians in New York, I'll play Freedom Fighters.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wait why is the SSGN on the surface?

Plus BF3's bass is much more ballsier.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Expansion pack to MW2. Looks like utter crap.

(London does look a lot like London though)

Yes, let us park our whole damn fleet in the harbor of the city our enemy is invading, well within surface weapon range, what could possibly go wrong?

That just looks bad. The one part of this game I was even remotely interested in was the Abrams-related portion, and now I'm even burned out on that.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
It scores rather high for me on the coolness scale, I think I'm just about done caring about the story in COD games. Just give me some explosions and cool stuff to do, and I won't give a **** if it's fighting the Chinese in New Zealand with thermonuclear weapons powered by monkeys on bicycles. :P