Author Topic: favourite canon fighters.  (Read 27516 times)

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Re: favourite canon fighters.
1: Valkyrie / Athena
2: Ares / Sekkie
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline -Norbert-

My all time favourite is the Valkyrie. While it does have paper thin hull and barely any shields, it is damn fast, has good firing points and can pack banshees.
While I like the Thoth quite a bit too, it does have bad firing points. Most of the time you can only hit with two of your four primary shots, unless you target is at least as big as an Ursa or Seraphim.

For FS2 it's a bit tougher... I like the 8 barrels of the Erinyes (on low difficulties anyway), but the low weapon energy and manouverbility are quite a drawback. So in the end it would be the Perseus for me too, though I'd still pick a Valkyrie even in FS2 if it would be in there too.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Perseus for dogfighting and general missions. It's great except on Insane since the AI are cheating bastards even on retail.

Myrmidons if I don't have a better ship, or if there's Helioses for me to use.

Hercules for it's boxiness, I like aesthetics a lot.

Uhh...oh and my favorite, the Galactic Terran Fighter Ares, for dogfighting, interception, heavy assault, convoy, defence, precision/surgical strikes...

Something to consider about the Myrmidon is that, in addition to being the first fighter you gain access to in FS2, it's also the only one available for quite a long while with more than four gunpoints.  If you're looking for a fighter with loads of primary firepower, before the Erinyes becomes available, it's either the Myrmidon or the Herc I (which has lousy placement of its gunpoints).  It doesn't make the fighter any better, but it does explain why you might give it a fair bit of flight time, despite its weaknesses.

Personally, I'm partial to the Thoth and the Seth.  The thin profiles of the Vasudan fighters is a great boon in a dogfight, and with the Thoth in particular, there's nothing quite like fitting a Mekhu-HL7 and painting the night sky red.  I'm not sure why I prefer the Seth to the Tauret, to be honest, but on assault missions, I always find myself choosing the older of the two.

On the Terran side, you can add my name to the list of Perseus pilots.  It's just a good mix of speed and durability.

Among bombers, I tend to favor the Medusa.  Again, I'm not sure why I tend to favor it over the Artemis, since the turret isn't a huge advantage, and each secondary bank carrying an odd number of bombs is more an irritant than anything else, but given the choice, I take the Medusa.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
You're not alone on the Medusa, BlueFlames. I like the Medusa...for a pretty simple reason, the way the ship is modeled appeals to me. Like the Zeus and Ursa.

Well if I'm given a serious choice, it'll have to be the Artemis/D.H. for blowing corvettes and destroyers up if I have no access to the Helios. For cruisers, my Ares is the way to go!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Perseus for dogfighting and general missions. It's great except on Insane since the AI are cheating bastards even on retail.

They're not. YOU are the cheating bastard in all difficulties but insane, with damage reduction and all. Even in insane, with retail AI, they actually have a slower fire rate than you and still suck at using burners.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Perseus is definitely my favorite canon ship, unlike a certain stubby-winged potato that got me routinely killed.

Dual Subachs with either Tempests or Harpoons.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Hmm, that's a complex question;

Interceptor: Horus

Space superiority: Apollo/Loki - Serapis/Perseus/Mara(both versions); not putting the Dragon, I find its gunpoints a bit hard to use

Muli-role: Apollo - Perseus/Myrmidon

in between : Erinyes

Heavy assault: Herc/Seth - Herc 2/Ares

Light Bomber: Zeus - Bakha/Nahema

Heavy Bomber : Medusa - Sekhmet

When in doubt for a mission, I go for the Apollo/Perseus

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!

They're not. YOU are the cheating bastard in all difficulties but insane, with damage reduction and all. Even in insane, with retail AI, they actually have a slower fire rate than you and still suck at using burners.
Well, I was really shocked that when one Subach bolt hit me through my fully shielded front and damaged my hull. I was really surprised, for the first time in my life.

...but being a cheating bastard helps to progress the game!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The Horus is bleeding awful, the people who say they like it have some explaining to do.
Horrible placed gunbanks, paperthin hull and shielding. The only thing it has going for it is speed. The Valk is just as fast but has better gunpoints and is significantly tougher (in fs1). I'd much rather pick a Uly over the Horus to.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
From what I can gather, it has a decent secondary bank and afterburning...and being 170m/s. That 5 m/s must matter a lot to them, I think.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Size and recharge time of the burner, plus the fact its stats have been significantly boosted between FS1 and FS2.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Size and recharge time of the burner, plus the fact its stats have been significantly boosted between FS1 and FS2.
That. I do like flying the Valk, but I never got to fly fs1 Horus, so I can't really compare them. And gunpoints aren't much of an issue against bombers. On any other role however, it tends to suck.

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
The Ares for unloading at distant targets, but turning rate is crap.
Otherwise Erynies or Perseus, the others like Uly and Loki, Pegasus seem too paper thin.
The Mara is great exept the 4 gunpoints are not quite enough some times...
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That. I do like flying the Valk, but I never got to fly fs1 Horus, so I can't really compare them. And gunpoints aren't much of an issue against bombers. On any other role however, it tends to suck.
Gunpoints are not an issue when you're shooting at bombers themselves, but most of the time, you'll find yourself also shooting at bombs, where gunpoint position starts to matter.

Gunpoints are not an issue when you're shooting at bombers themselves, but most of the time, you'll find yourself also shooting at bombs, where gunpoint position starts to matter.

By the time you have access to the Horus, you also have access to the EMP missile.  Sending one of those into a formation of bombers effectively defangs them and shuts down any nearby warheads, making them easy pickings for your charge's point defenses.  In that scenario, your primaries will be used chiefly against the bombers.

I find the Horus' widely-spread gunpoints most irritating when trying to pop turrets off of capital ships.  Save for juggernauts and a few select destroyer turrets, you can't quite make all four bolts hit the specific turret you're after.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
FS 1 era: Apollo and Valk
FS 2 era: Perseus

Offline Kolgena

Terran Mara, hands down. Who cares if it only has 4 guns when it's the only fighter in the game that can sort of manage sustained kayser fire?

But you only get that for one mission, so perseus for dogfighting, Herc II or Erinyes if survivability is an issue, Sekhmet or Artemis for bombing.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
The Ares can sustain six Kaysers, you know. Unless you're talking about unlimited firing, then...shunt more power to guns.

And the Erynies could fire 8 Maxims.
It's pretty cool to be able to shoot down Dragons before they can touch you (and be able to dogfight almost everything else), so it's first place in my ranking.

If stealth works, then the Pegasus would be second place. Too bad it can't carry Kaysers.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.