Author Topic: Favourite canon cargo containers.  (Read 15088 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: Favourite canon cargo containers.
In which case you call for a repair transport anid can be on your merry way in 10 minutes.

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Haven't we been doing that for the past ten or so years? Hehe.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah if it only takes a couple minutes or hours to travel between star systems that takes away a lot of the atmosphere of the setting if you ask me.
But...isn't that exactly what we've seen in pretty much every canon mission? :p We know for a fact that intrasystem jumps seem to take a matter of seconds, and ships only seem to need to recharge their jump drives after a node traversal on the order of minutes.  The concept of mucking about for weeks, or even days, to travel between systems doesn't seem to exist in the FS-verse.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well roughly how long did it take the Lucifer to traverse the coridoor at the end of FS? (assuming you dont blow it up, that should be the canon travel time. Gameplay reasons omitted) There's your baseline to calibrate other subspace travel times by.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note, that's a Shivan supership in one node. We don't know how travel time varies between nodes and/or ship classes.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Its speed was constant, thus measurable. Besides subspace apparently negates its only unique bility.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Well roughly how long did it take the Lucifer to traverse the coridoor at the end of FS? (assuming you dont blow it up, that should be the canon travel time. Gameplay reasons omitted) There's your baseline to calibrate other subspace travel times by.
We never see anything relating to how long time passed between the time you enter the node in the second-to-last mission and the briefing in the last mission. For all we know, it could have been a day or so that passed and you're just finally starting to catch up with the Lucifer.

Another possibility is from a gameplay perspective, no one would want to play a mission that takes the same amount of time that it may (or may not) take in fluff. i.e., if subspace travel between the systems took days, or even weeks, no one would play a mission that long.

There's also the chance, however unlikely, that Sol and Delta Serpentis are really, really close together.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I really hate this cop-out argument, but I'm going to use it anyway: Gameplay and universe segregation. Not everything can be portrayed in-game in a way that is both realistic and enjoyable.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We never see anything relating to how long time passed between the time you enter the node in the second-to-last mission and the briefing in the last mission. For all we know, it could have been a day or so that passed and you're just finally starting to catch up with the Lucifer.

Another possibility is from a gameplay perspective, no one would want to play a mission that takes the same amount of time that it may (or may not) take in fluff. i.e., if subspace travel between the systems took days, or even weeks, no one would play a mission that long.

There's also the chance, however unlikely, that Sol and Delta Serpentis are really, really close together.

The only baseline we have is that the Lucifer will reach Earth within 40 hours of the events of 'Clash of the Titans'.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I refer everyone here to Command's lines in Apocalpyse (last mission of FS2) when he very clearly says that the ships arrive on the other side of the node instantaneously.

Whatever time passes in the subspace corridor, if any, it must therefore be subjective to the traveller.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I refer everyone here to Command's lines in Apocalpyse (last mission of FS2) when he very clearly says that the ships arrive on the other side of the node instantaneously.

Whatever time passes in the subspace corridor, if any, it must therefore be subjective to the traveller.

Then how the hell does one manage to catch the Lucifer while in subspace?
if node travel was instantaneous, the entire plan to stop the Lucifer -while in subspace- just plain doesn't work.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

No that's ridiculous and should be ignored. He was clearly just using shorthand for 'got the **** out of Capella'. That instantaneous travel **** either needs to be spackled away or just straight up retconned, it is dumb.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

You might try posting those lines, bro. I sure as hell can't check it out myself and the wiki for missions is rather useless for stuff like this.

No that's ridiculous and should be ignored. He was clearly just using shorthand for 'got the **** out of Capella'. That instantaneous travel **** either needs to be spackled away or just straight up retconned, it is dumb.
Agreed.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Quote from: Command
Lambda reports all four [or all remaining] transports have reached the Vega system.

All civilians on board the Omega transport have reached the Vega system safely.

However, most of the others do say "departed Capella" which I was not aware of.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Lambda reports all four [or all remaining] transports have reached the Vega system.

I just take it to assume that he means 'reached Vega system' as 'are in the bag for Vega and en route'. Any other reading is just like, what.

Offline Drogoth

I just take it to assume that he means 'reached Vega system' as 'are in the bag for Vega and en route'. Any other reading is just like, what.

+1
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Command's just assuming that no cataclysmic subspace accident will occur which claims the livelihood of all the transports.
A reasonable assumption to make.
Kinda.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
Maybe they carried lots of containers full of subspace afterburner fuel for themselves or something, eh.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Maybe they carried lots of containers full of subspace afterburner fuel for themselves or something, eh.

We have no idea if subjective movement in subspace actually matters, to be honest. The Lucifer's death cutscene sorta suggests it doesn't.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Considering whilst attacking the Lucifer you had a time limit before it arrived at Sol, it would make for a very confusing bit of physics if travel in Subspace was instant from the perspective of those outside it.