Author Topic: Games that elude you. We're here to help  (Read 6235 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: Games that elude you. We're here to help
Not at all, no, and no, but I have played and love those last two titles.

The reason I mentioned After Burner is because it plays similarly to it.  There is another game that I think is called Sky Shark or something along the lines of that which has a similar feel, but Sky Shark is a WWII game.  This one put you in the seat of (well, behind, technically) a jet plane, like After Burner.

Ha, ya, after reading your description again I noticed I missed a key point: Behind the plane, not above it
"No"

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: The Game's name escapes me
One that I still draw a blank on was another game made by Sierra. Only parts I rememeber was on the opening scenes when the Sierra logo came up, a fuzzball thing droped down in a bucket and said "Sierra", and the game itself was you were a stick figure trying to get from one point of a map to another via ladders and platforms while trying to avoid the other stick figures.

The Incredible Machine?  it had the fuzzball thing, and your description sounds sorta like the puzzles with Mel.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
One that I still draw a blank on was another game made by Sierra. Only parts I rememeber was on the opening scenes when the Sierra logo came up, a fuzzball thing droped down in a bucket and said "Sierra", and the game itself was you were a stick figure trying to get from one point of a map to another via ladders and platforms while trying to avoid the other stick figures.

The Incredible Machine?  it had the fuzzball thing, and your description sounds sorta like the puzzles with Mel.

Found a few of the very early ones from an abandonware site, got The Incredible Machine 1 working easily and yes, that is the fuzzball thing. Didn't drop down in a bucket, but then i couldnt get the other 2 that came after it working... Perhaps its one of those.

The Incredible Machine 1 works in XP 32-bit with no compatability settings if anyone is wondering.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline LHN91

Found a few of the very early ones from an abandonware site, got The Incredible Machine 1 working easily and yes, that is the fuzzball thing. Didn't drop down in a bucket, but then i couldnt get the other 2 that came after it working... Perhaps its one of those.

The Incredible Machine 1 works in XP 32-bit with no compatability settings if anyone is wondering.

The Incredible Machine 2 works fine in DosBox. Just if you wanted to try it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
GOG.com also has a pack of four or five of the games together.  TIM 3 was an all-time favorite of mine.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I should really try out far more older games. I can nearly name all the ones I've played on PC back in the day, and I already figured out those old Sega games a year ago...

...SHINOBI
"No"

Offline LHN91

I should really try out far more older games. I can nearly name all the ones I've played on PC back in the day, and I already figured out those old Sega games a year ago...

...SHINOBI

Arrrggghhhhh Shinobi was such a hard game. Still have a copy.

Offline Enzo03

Enzo, is it F-15 City War?
No but at least it is a jet fighter game like that one that is not Afterburner.
However, I do not believe there were any city levels in the game I'm after.

Also, that seems to be like a bunch of "different games" in one thing.  This was just one game. :P

==

Funnily enough, I have a complete reversal of this situation with yet another jet game, this one being Jetfighter 3: Platinum Edition for PC, which was the first flight "sim" I ever played (but making carrier landings backwards is not realistic).  I can't seem to get it by any means at all.  And when I say "any"...

I wish it were on GOG, even if it were just the Gold or regular edition.

Then again, I just remembered that buying things online is no-go for me so oh well. :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:40:56 pm by Enzo03 »
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft

...SHINOBI

Arrrggghhhhh Shinobi was such a hard game. Still have a copy.

Best ending ever
GAME OVER

By the way Enzo, are you sure it's for the NES?
"No"

Offline Enzo03

mfw this
Yeah. I'm pretty sure it was NES because that was all I had until I was like... 6.

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
mfw this
Yeah. I'm pretty sure it was NES because that was all I had until I was like... 6.

Ah, well... I just went through the complete list of NES games...
Going through it again

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsccNyTkWCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZhnGxDWbVA&feature=related

It is a mixture... and the colour changes from background to background

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:40:01 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Here is an obscure one. I had an early 1990s Mac (System 7) side-scrolling game where you were a typewriter and had to destroy all the computers that had made you obsolete. The name was something like "Vintagiquest," but I can't remember it exactly and this turns up no results on the usual Mac abandonware sites.

I'm pretty well up on my classic Mac games and have all my old stuff working nicely in an emulation setup, but have never been able to track this one down.

Offline Enzo03

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsccNyTkWCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZhnGxDWbVA&feature=related

It is a mixture... and the colour changes from background to background
I don't remember any of the overhead sections except for the landing, which I had also forgotten about but now remember.
I didn't remember the first boss being that black plane (looks like a B-1), but I looked at other videos for the game, and the second boss looks almost dead on from what I remember.
I definitely do not remember that weird music.
I remember the refueling sections.

...It doesn't look exactly like I remember but it looks really really close, so I'm thinking that maybe this was the one. \o/

I got one for you guys....
It was a three phase game... back in the late 90s I assume it's a DOS game really, though I don't know what version, it had a 'missile defence' part, where you shot incoming rockets down and defended a city, I think the things you fired were simple lines, but I'm not entirely sure..
Another phase was basically shooting people in a building as they popped up at the windows.
And I don't remember the other phase(s?)..

It was entirely 2d, and in a very arcadey art style.. somewhat reminiscent of the original SF games, just with slightly less polish.

I've always wanted to replay the game, but never been able to re-find it...
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Enzo03

While I was looking through games for the NES I discovered another game which I remember from a Famicom Multicart called Star Luster.  It was great to play it again!

I also have another one for you.

This is one from my days in Kindergarten when we got to go to the computer lab to play games.

The games list was some IBM menu or something I can't remember, but one particular game stood out on there.  I thought it was called "Roboman" or "Robo Man", BUT when I looked for that game online (no WAY am I going to find that game for sale anywhere, and I want to make sure anyway), I didn't find what I was looking for.

What I got was some weird platform-puzzle looking game that didn't look or PLAY anything at all like the game I was after.

What I wanted was a platform shooter.  The levels were NOT sidescrolling.
You played as this grey guy, he seemed to be faceless in the sense that he wore a helmet or something.  I guess he was a robot or something.  The first level, which I never ever beat (I sucked at games in general when I was little), had some guys who did have faces (I think) and came in various colors from the right side of the level.  I think there was a spawner or something there.  I think there was also a turret or something moving up and down the right side.  I do not remember the level layout beyond this although I believe there were many platforms.

I also once started the game to find a very, very different level with two humongous robots that killed me in seconds, I lost all lives/health (I forget which it has, if not both) and was sent back to the first level that I remember so well.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/games/public/

Fury3 & Hellbender trial... wish they were full editions...
Gasp! Hellbender! I played it once on a display computer at a store, loved it, but then forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it back! Maybe I'll try to find a full version somewhere.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I once had a Sega Genesis game, the name of which eludes me.  It is a top-down 2D shooter, with a few twists.  It is military-themed, and there were separate weapons for attacking air targets and ground targets.  The levels also alternated between you performing ground attacks and air attacks - on air attack missions you could not use your guns at all against ground targets, instead having to use your bombs, while in ground attack missions you could use your guns on ground stuff, but bombs made bigger explosions.  Oh, and you had unlimited ammo for both guns and bombs - there weren't any limited-ammo weapons.

But the key thing I remember about it is how the game would say "Commence Operation!" at the beginning of every level, and "Direct Hit!  Target Destroyed."  after you beat the level's boss.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:42:47 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
It was a three phase game... back in the late 90s I assume it's a DOS game really, though I don't know what version, it had a 'missile defence' part, where you shot incoming rockets down and defended a city, I think the things you fired were simple lines, but I'm not entirely sure..

Sounds exactly like Missile Command.  The rest... no idea.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline -Sara-

Another phase was basically shooting people in a building as they popped up at the windows.
And I don't remember the other phase(s?)..

It was entirely 2d, and in a very arcadey art style.. somewhat reminiscent of the original SF games, just with slightly less polish.

I've always wanted to replay the game, but never been able to re-find it...

It wasn't Inca was it? You had to fly a bit, solve puzzles, shoot people who popped around corners etc. I think it had a missile defense bit in it too.

Sounds exactly like Missile Command.  The rest... no idea.

Many games probably cloned elements of Missile Command, it could by any game.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Nopers, it was a military styled game, I think the bit where you're shooting them out of windows is some sort of hostage rescue and the missile command bit is defending a city, I think there were 4 or 5 sam sites that you launch from..
The art doesn't look that far off era wise ;x
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."