Wut.
7 (23.3%)
Rawr.
7 (23.3%)
*Sneeze*
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: January 16, 2012, 10:09:22 am

Author Topic: 70th Blue Lions?  (Read 11487 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Original.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:36:38 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

nice pic for freespace 2

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
The claws are too thick! ;7 Nicely done. It's not hand drawn right? The paws of the lion is the only thing that looks out-of-place, but unless there's a better picture out there, it's not a problem.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, it's definitely not hand drawn by me...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'll have to say no this time around, the reason is because I don't like the eyes and the face.
It's like someone is shoving something up his ass, I know it might be hard to see, specially because this is a lion we're talking about. But anyways I had the feeling that if you take this "expression" and put it into a person on the same position the first thing I would think of is...well that thing I wrote before.

Maybe taking a real lion image and doing some postprocessing on it might yield a better result, I know Herra did the 53rd Hammerheads's insignia like that (IIRC) and it looked quite nice.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe taking a real lion image and doing some postprocessing on it might yield a better result, I know Herra did the 53rd Hammerheads's insignia like that (IIRC) and it looked quite nice.

Yeah.. I tried that. You will never be able to get a similar look to the original. It's just too stylized. But you are welcome to try yourself. If you come up with better results than I did, then I'll take it.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Now that's a cool logo. Well suited for the legendary Alpha 1 (of the Capella era).
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah.. I tried that. You will never be able to get a similar look to the original. It's just too stylized.

I get what you are saying, now that I see the original it does seem quite stylized to use a real image as a base indeed.
el hombre vicio...

I like this pic

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I think the main difference from the original is that this image is more realistic. The original had a very muscular, slightly anthropomorphic lion that was making a sort of taxidermied-snarling-beast gesture (the new one looks more like it's climbing an invisible slope). It's reminiscent of the lions of heraldry, but more detailed.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Yeah I tried making one but I could never get the facial expression right, and the muscle structure and the original logo's emboss/statue-like nature was similarly elusive. Never got it to a stage where it was acceptable or notably better than the version I posed ages ago.

I like this version, even though the position of the lion is actually a far cry from the original (hands inverted, left hind leg too high up, and the tail all different) it is still instantly recognizeable. The claw marks are excellently done.

Regarding the hammerhead logo, I was extremely lucky to find an image of a hammerhead shark in a posture closely resembling the original. I basically did edge detect on it, doctored it a bit to clean up the lines I wanted to go away, and used the result for the shark's outline. In that case, it worked well. I wouldn't like to try it on most other cases, and the reason I did it was mostly because the original hammerhead shark in the logo was a god-awful mess that I couldn't really trace draw around (plus it was kind of badly drawn too I think).

In 70th logo, the original includes a heraldic lion which is a different beast entirely than a real lion. Real lions do not climb on their hind legs and wave their forepaws around in the air while snarling viciously. Bears do, but they still don't resemble the actual heraldic Rampant attitude.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
It's of course much better than the old one but I think the lion needs a bit softer shading. The old one has a slightly 3-dimensional look (I like that).

But that's just criticism to the details. Overall: Me gusta :)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

It's of course much better than the old one but I think the lion needs a bit softer shading. The old one has a slightly 3-dimensional look (I like that).

But that's just criticism to the details. Overall: Me gusta :)

I'll endorse both of these. The old one had more shading gradients, less plain-blue areas; but regardless, you've captured the feel of the original very well.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Something like this perhaps? I tried to add some shading here and there and give it a more 3Dish look...

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Yes, that's better, although I'd give it even more - of course that's just my opinion.

Looking at it in thumbnail size, though, the detail seems to get somewhat lost in scaling... the old one has bolder, darker lines, which stand out more at small scale. And, uh, the cables are too thick tail is too thin, it's just one pixel (in the attachment thumbnail, yes - but on a fighter it won't be much larger than that). Okay, I'll shut up now :nervous:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, changes to the shape are somewhat more difficult... I'll try some things.. but no promises!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I hate to say this, but I like the form of the original emblem better. The shape of the original just fits in the allotted space much better than the new lion, which draws your eyes to the right rather than center.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
There's no snuffleupagus. I can't vote with lacking option :(
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
le wut. I though *sneeze* was a pretty obvious snuffleupagus...

Also, here's a comparison of versions available. I need one at a higher resolution, so... like it or not, the retail one is out of the question. It scales really badly.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:14:15 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Sololop

If the 2nd and the 4th could somehow become one... I think would be best. Shape of the 4th with the shading of the 2nd