Author Topic: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep  (Read 36382 times)

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep
Bit late to the party, but if you want somebody with an actual name, feel free to put me on the list.

I wound up as Tentaculat food in the other thread, maybe my luck'll improve over here.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
We've got better armor and a Dental plan!

However, we don't have Spoonzer tanks just yet. Seems to be some sort of copyright war...
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Bit late to the party, but if you want somebody with an actual name, feel free to put me on the list.

I wound up as Tentaculat food in the other thread, maybe my luck'll improve over here.

Got you in, and a few missions under your belt already.

June 21st : The Manta is complete, and now fully armed with the finest torpedoes that Earth has to offer! Yeah, the same that we started off with. Alex Heartnet is just itching to take it out for a spin to blast some aliens, but is slightly apprehensive about the armaments. The lab guys swear they're closing in on sonic craft weaponry, but some bugs in the system may be stalling progress.

June 23rd : Alex Heartnet takes the Manta out against its first target. The speed of the Manta is incredible, Alex was heard over the radio shouting Oh holy **** this is fast! Whooooooooo!. Unfortunately, he had insufficient ammo to down the enemy craft, and sea traffic control denied his request to try ramming. The enemy USO escaped, and the currently unnamed pilot of Barracuda 2 took it down.

Scotty puts the sub down, and we're immediately greeted by a whole clutch of Lobstermen.

Lobsters, Mr. Dekker, zillions of 'em!

There was another squad of three or four Lobstermen to the south, who were dispatched with a similar ferocity. I think those things have gotten tougher, they seem to be surviving two shots from a sonic cannon with increasing frequency.
But it's no matter, our brave aquanauts just line up and knock 'em down.

Mission complete! (By the way, I'm not really recording any small subs any more, unless there's something interesting about them. To save time and not bore you too much)

Some research! This marks required tech #3/5 that I require before attempting to assault an alien base. The next two being Displacers, and disruptor launchers.

The thermal shok launcher, much like the thermal tazer that we've used previously, uses extreme cold temperatures to put subjects into a comatose, hibernative state. Unless they have climate controlled suits (like we do) or ridiculous thick armor or high HP (like quite a few aliens), a single bomb is usually enough to subdue all targets in a wide area. Also it has a really neat effect on sea water, it seems to flash-freeze, but then almost immediately the ice dissipates into little snowflakes, before melting completely.

June 27th : Medium sub spotted, Heavy Cruiser class, filled with Aquatoids. Alex Heartnet takes out Manta 1, backed up by Barracuda 2 to bring it down. The 'cuda is too slow to catch up in time, and the enemy sub lands. The Triton is dispatched.

We land, standard deployment. Soldiers spread out, TrashMan is first out the doors, and heads south-east. Jr2 jumps up into the airplane to clear it out and seriously, what is those guy's obsession with airline restrooms?

Wellp. Trashman has been mind controlled. I don't know where the alien is, so we're basically going to hide from Trash, and keep pushing forward as quickly as possible.

Alien-Trashman shoots Son of Ravenholme in the arm, wounding him as he jumps into the wreck of the plane there. CommanderDJ is already inside, ready with a med-kit. z64556 also suffers a shot, but takes no damage.

Next turn, he gets MC'd again, but causes no further harm. And then whatever alien was bugging him lets go, and Trashman panics and drops his weapon. Good; if he gets taken again, he can't do anything (much).

While shooting at an alien, and missing, CommanderDJ hit an intact fuel tank of the downed airliner, and it exploded hard, killing at least one alien.

We advance from all sides, cutting swaths through the Aquatoid defenders. The tank takes out one enemy carrying a disruptor; he never got to fire it, lucky for us.

Our soldiers storm the sub, z64556 getting several kills. The Aquatoids put up a valiant defense at the door to their sub, but were no match for us.

Son of Ravenholme and others enter through a hole in the top floor of the sub, surprising a few aliens, one of whom is killed immediately. The other two are carrying thermal shok launchers, and one of them knocks itself out. Son of Ravenholme procures its weapon and fires at the final Aquatoid, for a mission complete.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:28:29 pm by Zacam »

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I think the 556 model would like the the Thermal Shok launcher... even though for some reason it gives me a chill down my spine whenever I hold it.
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

July 4th : Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day! Also! There's aliens in Japan, let's go shoot them! America!

Umm... Anyway. Squad two is making a short hop to Tokyo to shoot some Lobstermen. At night. As if they weren't scary enough during the day, to grizzled veterans. Fun!

Lilith is going to keep one hand on the Abort! Run away! button at all times, just in case.

We're not doing too bad so far, already got a kill.

Surprisingly (if you have poor pattern-recognition skills), the tank is scrapped by a UFO Brain thing. And one of the rookies is toasted too. I could have saved him, but the medi-kit interface locked onto the person in front of my soldier, instead of the dying guy at his feet. And I didn't realize that until it was too late.

Two lobsters and a UFO thing on a tower are shot down, eventually. Three grenades were thrown on one turn, but nobody died from them. A huge hole was opened in the Triton, but it should be good to fly with a little duct tape. Almost sounded the call to Flee! after SpardaSon23 went down from an unseen assailant, but for now, we'll keep going.

Lost another one. We're under fire from all sides, the Triton took another grenade. I can't see where the hostiles are. Lilith calls it, Marines, we are LEAVING.

Eugh. The Japanese are not going to be happy about this.

I swear, that civilian just got caught in the blast when a UFO brain thing exploded. All the rest were legit alien kills though. Well, as legit as you can get shooting a completely defenseless stupid civilian who won't even take stupid cover when your city is being attacked by stupid giant lobsters.

Furtunately, Japanese defense forces were able to mobilize enough mecha to quarantine the area, and eventually spray enough bullets and rockets into the battlezone to render it lobster-and-UFO-thing-free.

July 15th : Very Large USO spotted, Dreadnought class. Listed mission is Floating Base Attack. I've seen plenty of these, and still can't feasibly tangle with one, so I just keep an eye on it as it comes closer... and closer to my base. It is heading right for Eight Samurai. Oh boy, this could be it...

It passes by overhead. If we had base defenses, we could have shot at it. But we don't, so we just watch it make a few passes, and not land. I think they're taunting us. And then, like nothing, it shoots off over the Pacific ocean. I guess we dodged that bullet. We'll be better prepared next time.

Speaking of, OH YEAH:

With 80 technicians on the job, I have 6 of the guns manufactured and deployed within days.

July 20th : Small sub spotted by Blue Canary base, and Alex Heartnet takes out Manta 1 on a test run of the sonic oscillator. The only sounds on the cockpit recorder during the engagement were the whirrrrrrrrrrr-SHOOOOMP of the cannons, and Alex cackling maniacally.

As the techs giddily finish up the sonic oscillators, and try to figure out what else they can stick them on to next, a communique comes in from HLPX-COM. It reads:

Dear Scourge,
In these dark times, with aliens swarming around our heads like krill, I believe that it is in Earth's best interest to share some of the fine technology that we've uncovered. Attached is a gift, schematics for the newest tanks we've been able to engineer; they are truly a marvel.
We do have one small request, however. As tradition dating back to the first Alien War dictates, my technicians insist that all Displacer-Sonic tanks produced be designated Spoonzer Elite. Tradition, don't you know.

Kind regards, and happy hunting,
NGTM-1R (totally not the dead one)

My techs happily set to work building a passel of shiny new Spoonzers.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:30:17 pm by Zacam »

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Awesome, Spoonzers! The war will be won now!
chief1983

------------

Oh yeah, they're really helping out already! The armor is a huge help, though they still crumble under enough fire :/ I'm playing a bit ahead of the LP to build a buffer, and I can say we've already lost two, but we can build them pretty fast.
About to take out some alien bases, btw. Who else wants to carry the disruptor launcher, besides TrashMan?

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
About to take out some alien bases, btw. Who else wants to carry the disruptor launcher, besides TrashMan?

I volunteer model 556.  ;)
chief1983

------------

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
If I'm in good enough shape, then I'm always up for carrying the MOAR DAKKA!

Sssplendid.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The new rookies handled themselves fairly well, with Gortef distinguishing himself by getting three kills (!) with auto fire from his gauss rifle.
Wait, in a row?  Were they all lined up or something?

"What the **** man??", he probably shouts, as he turns around and starts to limp back toward the sub for medical attention. Just a few spaces that way, a hidden Aquatoid blasts him with a sonic cannon. His ghost is going to be extra-vengeful now.
:lol:

And tough luck for Mongoose again. He will be missed... again.
Well, apparently not.  He keeps getting hit.

(ba-dum, pish)

Also, sign me up for the troop roster. :nod:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously, would it be too much to ask to make it through a single mission? :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Seems like I'm this units The_E.
Let's just hope I have his luck too.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Seriously, would it be too much to ask to make it through a single mission? :p

Your third life, F*n Angry Mongoose, is doing pretty well, and hasn't died yet.

Welcome aboard Goober!

TrashMan, is as much as when you're mind controlled, the aliens don't shoot you, yes you're pretty tough :P And your survivability will probably go up quite a bit, now that you'll be carrying a disruptor launcher.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Wait so on that one mission I stunned one of the two aliens, which then dropped a stun grenade that stunned both me and the another alien.

Talk about a situation straight from a comedy show.
Habeeb it...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wait, you're giving a disruptor launcher to someone who's prone to being mind controlled? :shaking:

Wait so on that one mission I stunned one of the two aliens, which then dropped a stun grenade that stunned both me and the another alien.

Talk about a situation straight from a comedy show.

Sort of, but more comical: you ran up there, shouted "hey look at me!" and it shot at you with the grenade launcher. "Slapping it in the big bald head" was a bit of flourish I threw in, due to you being right next to it, no tazer was involved.

The Trashman situation is under control: In situations where M.C. attacks are likely, he'll stay unarmed until such time as it is deemed safe or necessary to pick up a weapon. But I'm still a little worried...

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That was a fluke!

Seriously... Any one of us could get MC'ed... you want us to wade into battle empty handed? I might as well cover myself in butter and pain a bullseye on me.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

That was a fluke!

Seriously... Any one of us could get MC'ed... you want us to wade into battle empty handed? I might as well cover myself in butter and pain a bullseye on me.

Ah heh. It was no fluke... You seriously have 0 MC strength :nervous:
But the beauty of the disruptor launcher is that you don't have to be anywhere near the thing you want to explode. So you could sit right next to the Triton, lobbing high-explosive death all day.

Which you'll see in action, episode after this one:

July 26th – Large USO spotted, Battleship class. But this time, we can take it. Alex Heartnet leads the two Mantas on a strike mission. The ferocity of the attack was striking, and the Battleship was downed in the Baltic Sea, near Copenhagen, Denmark.

Deploying this time, for the first time, are four captured MC Readers. They will allow us to poke and prod into the minds of any aliens we lay eyes on, and get their rank and status and stuff. Not extremely useful on its own, but we're hunting a commander here. It'll help to know which one to hit, and how hard we'll need to hit it.

Ha ha ha, those crazy Danes. They built an underwater research base right where we shot down a OH **** BRAINS KILL IT.

*whimper* Spoonzer Alpha shot at it, but missed. Trashman steps up to the plate, fires, and misses. But, he hit the pipe it was hiding behind, which was apparently filled with high-explosives. The blast wave liquifies the brain's squishy parts, which was most of its body.

Soldiers move to scout out each of the research pods, each one more cautiously than the last.

THIS IS WHY WE'RE CAUTIOUS! (Son of Ravenholme gets it in one shot though, so we're cool.)

And Scotty spots a Lobsterman, shoots it, and draws return fire. Seeing an excellent opportunity to test out the MC Reader, jr2 fires it up and takes a peek inside. Eh, just a soldier.

BRAAAAAAAAAIN! It tries to do who-knows-what to Spoonzer Alpha, but doesn't get anywhere. The tank however, takes offense at blows its insides outside.

The Spoonzer performed fantastically, taking more damage than three Coelecanths, at least, and dishing out far more. Unfortunately, one of the several lobsters inside the sub charged, and dug straight into the Spoonzer with its bare claws, and ripped out the control mechanisms. Combined fire, and a stun bomb from IronBeer took down the Lobsterman Technician (I wonder if that's how it figured out how to kill a Spoonzer?)
Foolish aliens, for every tank you rip apart, we can build four more to replace it. We will bury you!

Around the back of the sub... Frickin' BRAIN! Attacked my squad, but Son of Ravenholme and Mongoose shot it dead.

Son of Ravenholme takes a sonic cannon shot to the side, but survives with only a single fatal wound, which is patched up in short order.

Saw some movement up here during the alien move phase: at least two brains and a lobster. Dekker authorizes the use of grenades, lots of them.

Two grenades go up, Son of Ravenholme preps another, but can't get in to position to throw it that turn. He moves into the open next to Dekker, and gets ready.

The grenades blow, but nothing dies. One of the lobsters gets a little annoyed though, and charges down the stairs. Before anybody can even blink, it claws Ravenholme to death, and then Mongoose splatters its guts into the water.

TrashMan grabs Ravenholme's live grenade and chucks it up onto the second level. It doesn't blow.
Is it a dud, or did Ravenholme accidentally hit “8” instead of “0” on the timer. That's probably it. Trashman ascends, and finds two targets. Brain.

IronBeer jumps up to the second level, and takes down both targets with a shok bomb. Live brain captured! I think there's another still up there though, wandering around. Just to be safe, the firing line descends, hopefully out of range of its groping tentacles.

Next turn, ever so carefully, Gortef heads up onto the platform. He spots the brain, and shoots it once and adds it to the collection of corpses.

On the alien's turn, the final Lobsterman comes down the lift and gets blasted into unconsciousness by IronBeer. Mission complete.

None of the Lobstermen were a commander though, so it definitely looks like we're going to be attacking that base sooner or later.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
For some reason, I always wind up on capture/CQB duty in every HLP-XCOM thread. I even got to box with lobstermen on a couple occasions before I WAS THE ALIENS in the other thread.

IronBeer jumps up to the second level, and takes down both targets with a shok bomb. Live brain captured!
Hellyeah! That was what, 4 captures this mission? Too bad the don't count for experience tho. (captures indeed don't count, right?)