Author Topic: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!  (Read 118920 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: HLPX-COM: You're All Dying For Your Planet, Right Here!
Maybe you woke up right before the end and were still controlled?  Maybe another alien tried to mind control you, but you were stunned, but there was a glitch, so you were flagged as 'controlled' even though stunned?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think Yukari is fooling around again. Yeah, that must be it. :nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Squad 2 is currently on a Terror Mission to Perth. (Slightly better than Canberra, I suppose.) In the meantime, here's the current soldier list.

Support Staff
Dekker (Interceptor 1)
Nuke (Interceptor 2)
Darius (Skyranger 1)
Spoon (Area 51 Tanks)
Scotty (Interceptor 3)
Flipside (Dekker's Pad Tanks)
MP-Ryan (Skyranger 2)

KIA
Zacam, Rookie; made a kill but did not survive the mission (deceased by plasma rifle shot, then blown up by friendly grenade, Mission 1)
Karajorma, Rookie (deceased by plasma pistol shot, Mission 1)
Mongoose, Rookie; made two kills but did not survive the mission (deceased by plasma rifle and then heavy plasma shot, Mission 3)
Goober5000, Sergeant (blew himself up with a heavy cannon HE round at point-blank, Mission 5)
Swantz, Squaddie (shot with plasma pistol, deceased by alien grenade, Mission 5)
Jeff Vader, Squaddie (deceased by alien grenade, Mission 5)
Redsniper, Rookie (deceased by alien grenade, Mission 5)
Polpolion, Squaddie (deceased by plasma pistol shot, Mission 5)
CommanderDJ, Squaddie (deceased by multiple cyberdisc plasma cannon shot, Mission 6)
The First Tank, Cannon Tank (deceased by multiple cyberdisc and heavy plasma shot, Mission 6)
Rodo, Squaddie (deceased by alien grenade, Mission 8)
Col. Fishguts, Squaddie (deceased by plasma cannon shot, Mission 8)
Titan, Squaddie (deceased by plasma rifle shot, Mission 9)
The Second Tank, Laser Tank (torn into tiny pieces by a Chryssalid, Mission 9)
Turambar, Rookie (deceased by plasma rifle shot, Mission 13)
mxlm, Squaddie (deceased by plasma rifle shot, Mission 14)
LordMelvin, Squaddie (deceased by alien grenade, Mission 15)
Ravenholme, Squaddie (deceased by alien grenade, Mission 15
Commander Zane, Squaddie (MIA, Mission 15)

Active Duty
Squad One, Area 51
Axem, Sergeant
The E, Captain
SpardaSon21, Sergeant
TrashMan, Squaddie
Jr2, Squaddie
-Joshua-, Squaddie
KyadCK, Squaddie
Jg18, Squaddie
Scourge of Ages, Squaddie (injured reserve)
Fury, Rookie
Alex Heartnet, Rookie (filling in for Scourge)
The Fourth Tank, Laser Tank (Spoon)

Squad 2, Dekker's Pad
Headdie, Sergeant
Mjn.Mixael, Sergeant
Goober5001, Squaddie
IronBeer, Squaddie
Droid803, Rookie
Firespawn, Rookie
Watsisname, Rookie
Veers, Squaddie
Backslash, Rookie
StarSlayer, Rookie
The Third Tank, Laser Tank (Flipside)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Darius

Squad 2 is currently on a Terror Mission to Perth. (Slightly better than Canberra, I suppose.)

Slightly.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Squad 2, Dekker's Pad
Droid803, Rookie
Firespawn, Rookie
Watsisname, Rookie

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay, so.

Ethereals.

This is going to be reallllly bad, folks.

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Ethereals **** !!!!!!!!!
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
welp

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Dudes in cloaks. Flipside has spotted them. But the Tanks of HLPX-COM will not be stopped. Not by you, or the- what the **** is that?

Whatever it was, it dislikes it when Mjn.Mixael shoves a heavy missile up its tailpipe. StarSlayer and a bunch of other people get psi'd, but only StarSlayer gets taken over. He proceeds to kill two people in the transport, while another alien tosses a grenade at the tank. Again it's a miss, but the tank is damaged and Droid is hurt, while Mjn.Mixael and Watsisname panic. We are now on turn three. This one is going to **** in a hurry.

Watsisname, going berserk, fires his rocket launcher while still inside the transport. Fortunately he has an Incendiary round loaded or he would have killed at least three people. Droid comes back inside the transport and FireSpawn renders first aid, while Backslash stuns StarSlayer to stop him from killing anyone else.

Mjn.Mixael has a target. He launches his second missile of the night, killing another of cloaked guys. Flipside locates another and blasts it. The mission is pulling away from the drain a little. (I spoke much too soon.)

Headdie locates another and introduces its face to a missile, but then Veers gets mind-controlled and tries to kill Droid with a full auto burst of laserfire that doesn't go through Droid's armor, following with a grenade that kills FireSpawn.  Backslash is still panicking, and Watsisname is pointing his missile launcher at random people and pulling the trigger furiously despite the fact it's empty. Flames are still roaring inside the aft end of the Skyranger bay.

Headdie calls it. “Agents, WE ARE LEAVING.” Flipside's tank spots another Ethereal closing in, and blasts it to cover the retreat. The flames, finally, have gone out, which is good news at least for MP-Ryan, who'll have to fly the Skyranger out of here. Headdie and Mjn.Mixael mount the ramp, followed by Flipside's tank.

Mission complete, but failed. Australian army and air force units raze the combat zone with artillery and airstrikes.

But for some odd reason, almost everybody thinks we did really well this month.

The mission might still have been winnable, but the only effectives I had were carrying missile launchers, and almost out of ammo. I wasn't willing to take the risk.

StarSlayer killed Goober5001, and IronBeer, while Veers grenaded FireSpawn.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
at last we have achieved xcom.txt

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I don't blame Veers. But I'm still gonna haunt the hell out of him until the X-COM necromancers stitch a bunch of body parts together and put me back in it.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
StarSlayer killed Goober5001, and IronBeer, while Veers grenaded FireSpawn.
Damn. And I can't really get a badass pre-mortem one-liner in that situation. At least I can rest easy knowing that the aliens I helped capture are suffering horribly for daring to invade our planet.

Ah well, such is X-com. Hope there was enough of me left to rebuild or clone. And this time, can we try to wire in some psi resistance? Apparently without much of that trait my prospects as a long-term operative may have been ...limited.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Dekker has shot down a small UFO over the Sahara. The badly battered Squad 2, now including Rookie General Battuta, is ordered to take the UFO as they can arrive while it's still daylight. MP-Ryan delivers them safely, and within spitting distance of the UFO, a Scout. Droid803 is not present, due to his injuries in Perth.

Headdie announces that anyone who gets psi'd this mission is getting lethal force, and orders deployment. First contact reveals more of the cloaked guys who ****ed the team up so badly last mission. Backslash gets the first kill, dropping one.

It's the only one in the area outside the ship. This will probably be somewhat bloody. Veers breaches the UFO and proves I'm a terribly bad prophet by gunning two others down with single auto burst. He spots the final one at the back of the ship.

General Battuta misses all three rounds of an auto burst. Watsisname only hits with one, and the alien's still on its feet. Mjn.Mixeal rushes in with his plasma pistol and saves the day by killing it with a single shot.

Mission complete. Squad Two gains a small measure of revenge, and proves that they're still a working fighting unit.

We've also had what we think will be two very important breakthroughs on the science front. The first is the ability to tap alien communications. Our first Hyperwave Decoder went active at Area 51 today, and the second should be up at Dekker's Pad in just hours. We will no longer have to rely on radar, which the aliens have proved sometimes able to evade, to detect incursions.

The second is the Power Suit.

HLPX-COM Power Suits are armored with alien alloys and use a small alien power source to beat the problem of powering such a creation that has stymied all previous attempts at powered exoskeletons. They provide incredible armored protection; no Earthly weapon save for a heavy shoulder-fired rocket can breach one. Even standard RPG warheads will be deflected. The old Personal Armor could be rather hit-or-miss in its protection, while this should offer some protection even against alien Heavy Plasmas. Thanks to the lightness of the alien materials used and its power source, it also does not impede movement in any way. As an engineering achievement, this is probably the greatest work of the last century.

Good as the Power Suit is, though, our scientists report that an improved design is already on the way.

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
performing according to spec

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Congratulations on a well executed mission, Sgt Headdie.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Thank you, but it's a capable team that makes missions a success.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Awesome, power suits.  Now whenever I lead my subordinates into combat I shall be madly ranting about alien filth and xenos scum defiling Holy Terra.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The next one of you assholes that lights the leather seats in my bird on fire is going to be testing how well X-COM armour works as a glider from 30,000 feet, comprenez?  At least Darius only had to repaint the exterior of his. *harrumph*
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
This is the HLPX-COM Flying Suit. A modification of the Power Suit, it includes additional armor for even more protection, and a small alien-tech gravity-wave device. With it, soldiers can move through the air in fashion similar to the alien Floaters, offering greatly expanded tactical options. Production of suits for all current HLPX-COM operatives is underway.

Deployment against a UFO downed by Scotty over California was the first combat use. -Joshua- and SpardaSon were issued the two prototype suits. The mission was fought in daylight. Neither Flying Suit was hit, but both troopers wearing them scored kills and reported the tactical mobility granted by flight was highly useful.

An alien ship, Floaters on an abduction mission, was detected in Siberia and though interception failed due to lack of sufficient firepower, it landed. Skyranger 2 and MP-Ryan were dispatched; the ship had landed in daylight and the hope was to assault it with the reconstituted Squad 2 during the day. This will also be the first test of a new addition to the HLPX-COM arsenal.

The alien Heavy Plasma. Veers has been issued one for field-testing. (Had this been against psionic enemies, however...)

The tank took a heck of a lot of fire when it hit the ramp, six shots. It's badly damaged, but you can't stop an HLPX-COM tank easily. Flipside returns fire and kills one of his tormentors. Mjn.Mixael disposes of the other.

Headdie, disembarking, is abruptly killed by plasma fire which breached his armor. Watsisname is unable to locate the source. This is most resistance we've had on Turn One since the mission to Shanghai.

At least two more Floaters are in contact. Watsisname trades fire with one and wins. The number stays at two as Flipside spots another, but swashmebuckle drops that one for with his first burst fired in live combat. Mjn.Mixael brings it down to zero with another missile.

Another Floater fires his weapon and ducks back. Flipside locates it but misses a shot and pulls back. General Battuta is determined to maintain his record for poor accuracy and ineffectually sprays six laser beams. So does Watsisname. Backslash finally puts the alien down.

A single alien attempts to stop the initial breach, but it is unceremoniously shot to death by Backslash. Watsisname drops another with a couple snapshots in the next room. Rodo Mk2 is next at bat, where he kills an alien with a single shot breaching yet another door. This ship, unlike the last time Squad 2 hit a Medium UFO, is intact.

Veers is first up the lift. He's shot at twice by an alien, but his armor stops it. He returns fire with his Heavy Plasma. One hit leaves the alien in terrible shape, practically turning the Floater inside out.

Mjn.Mixael reminds the team that command wants the bridge crew alive...if practical. If not...well, if not, they'll understand. Rodo Mk2 takes point, and then takes a heavy plasma blast that kills him. The_Force, who's never explained if he's a Jedi or a cop, is next in line. He puts out three rounds but only hits with one. Nobody else reaches a position to fire on the alien before it takes a second shot. The_Force's armor absorbs one plasma hit, but can't stop the second. He too goes down with a gaping chest wound. There is no time to mourn. The team pushes forward and Watsisname kills the alien who's killed two HLPX-COM troopers.

Another alien runs forward to confront Watsisname. It misses its shot, and Watsisname ensures that it will never fire another. He runs forward and stuns the last alien outside the bridge.

Mission Complete, in what is becoming the traditional Squad 2 way; leaving bits and pieces of troopers scattered around. However, important progress was made; the stunned alien is a Leader.

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Squad 2, we need to talk about those survival statistics. In this outfit, we get the job done, and then we go on to the next. Can't do that when you're dead, so don't start thinking that just because there's spiffy new armor in the pipeline, you're already wearing it, understood?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns