Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 81853 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
If you've got a couple of hours to kill and enough ammo.

Something...special is planned, in that regard.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

That's not sushi!

The terror mission was in Tokyo, I'm sure there's sushi somewhere

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
First kill to BlueFlames. You might notice nobody seems to have ammo in these screens. Well... Ammo? We're we're going, we don't NEED ammo. (XCOMUtil. Pretty much all the options except for improved Gauss and bugfixes are off; no, we're not going to deploy soldiers from the Barracudas or anything like that, I simply demanded the game stop flipping out on me.)

Mxlm and BloodEagle have been issued the newly-research Sonic Cannon for field testing, but our first kill goes to BlueFlames. MP-Ryan follows up by shooting the guy on the top of the bridge, but Mongoose spots another one.

IronBeer gets that one.

The tank is stuck on the helipad here, but it's positioned to provide some supporting fire in case of more people on high spots.

Most of the team is pushing into the ship's structure, but the Sonic Cannon and two people with rifles are going up top. IronBeer and Mongoose, though they're going into the superstructure, are actually headed to the top of the bridge.  By the way, all these barrels loose on deck is...kinda stupid, guys. They're just going to go over the side in the first rough weather you hit.

An alien emerges from the bridge tower onto the main deck, and then goes down with a gaping hole in place of its face from MP-Ryan shooting it. IronBeer opens the door to check for others. There's one on the floor below, but no line of fire. The E, en route to dispose of that one, meets another hiding in a corner.

It does not survive. BlueFlames goes after the original target. The alien's a tough bastard, and survives the shot into the side, but another one takes his leg off and the alien expires on the floor from shock and rapid blood loss.

There were two on the lower deck of the bridge area. Not anymore. BlueFlames, checking the second, discovers it was completely unarmed. Well that was a kind of ****ty thing to do, alien commander. TrashMan spots another one on the upper deck, fires three completely ineffectual rounds, and watches the alien fire two completely ineffectual rounds back. Round two has Trash fire six shots ineffectually and the alien return one that's useless. Goddammit, you both suck. Trash, if you miss this one I'm turning you into dog food.

Sadly, he didn't.

This one was here in the special Peeping Tom Corridor. What, you think it's not? Then explain why the crew quarters have a porthole onto an empty covered corridor unless somebody wants to watch people wank!

Last one!

Or...not.

Ship missions are like Cydonia, in that they're two-stage. Unlike Cydonia, they must fully cleared. Other two-stage missions include Colony Attacks now. (This also means I have to take a whole lot of pictures; this update has 27 and I didn't even take one for every alien.)

You start off in a pretty ****ty position where the aliens have lots of elevated terrain to use against you. First spotted goes to the tank, first kill to mxlm. Note that they actually have a whole other story to place snipers on, this guy's just derping out.

Containerville. They're stacked up and everything, real pain in the ass to search, but I don't dare skip them.

This guy shot. At what is anybody's guess, it was up on the next stack of containers, but he did fire. Then he turned at the sound of The E firing at him.

Too late.

Snipers are supposed to have weapons, but nobody told this alien until Jack put a round through its left eye.

In the future, MicroProse will be a rich and powerful company. And won't be called Firaxis. Right guys? Right?

If you meet the alien Buddha on a cargo container, kill him. And...oh man is that a Spectrum Holobyte logo? Next they'll have containers in here with the Sierra mountain on them...

More exercise for mxlm's Sonic Cannon. Unless the thing suddenly explodes, I think field testing can be considered successful.

There was an alien here but The E's burst took out some barrels as well and the resulting explosion killed the body. Insult to injury and all that.

Note to StarSlayer: Gauss weapons are not effective for giving gentle love taps. Neither are Thermal Tazers.

Mongoose and an alien do quick-draw at 20 paces. Mongoose won, despite scaring the hell out of me by missing to either side with his first two shots.

In the future, Spectrum Holobyte will be involved in recycling! Right guys?

Walking through all these barrels which will blow up if anyone stupid shoots them quite frankly scares the **** out of me, but the aquanauts don't complain. Unless they do. You guys complaining?

Those engines are surprisingly quiet. The aliens are as well; two of them, both armed with Sonic Cannon. But mxlm has one of those too. He takes the head off one alien, but we've still got mister clueless up there.

Clueless was still clueless when The E opened the door next turn and fired three rounds into his ass.

Last one. For real this time.

Or not. TFTD processes the Alien Turn quicker than Enemy Unknown, so my rough guesses about the number of remaining aliens are rougher than I'd like. StarSlayer handles it.

But we've still got at least one more. StarSlayer locates it, and one thing can be said for this alien: he was running to the sound of guns, trying to help his buddies.

Bravery is all well and good, but you don't charge somebody with an automatic weapon, y'know?

These two-stage missions, you win them? You win them big. Mission Complete.

Near as I can tell, the carryover of a few extra corpses is a response to the fact I accidentally duped them by having them on the persons of my aquanauts at the start of the next stage; I'm used to a version of TFTD which screwed you in regards to stuff left on stage one, so I grabbed any Sonic weapons which eventually disappear from the drops and their ammo, and a few corpses simply because they were close to my guys when I killed the last alien on stage one. Oops!

A Feddie Story

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Not bad at all. Seems to be the HLP operatives are dying less as of late
"No"

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Are you so badass or is this beginner?.. or both?
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Are you so badass or is this beginner?.. or both?

TFTD was the first X-COM I played. I'm good at this game.

On the other hand it should also be acknowledged it's beginner. But Beginner in TFTD is actually natively harder than Superhuman on Enemy Unknown. Besides, we haven't gotten into psi-spam madness yet. That'll shoot the casualty rate up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:38:23 am by NGTM-1R »

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Why....  Why were you collecting the civilian corpses?  :nervous:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have to wonder how bad my accuracy stat is......
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Civilians don't leave corpses. He grabbed the alien corpses for research and resale, I presume.

And good work on no deaths, especially without armor!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let us look at the facts. There were more alien bodies recovered than what can be accounted for by in-mission kills. Therefore, we have to conclude that some of the "civilians" who died during that mission were actually alien infiltrators.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Let us look at the facts. There were more alien bodies recovered than what can be accounted for by in-mission kills. Therefore, we have to conclude that some of the "civilians" who died during that mission were actually alien infiltrators.

Sadly, no  :(

You didn't take the stuned aliens into the calculations, of which there were 3. 21 dead, 3 stuned, 23 recovered. Must have lost one over the edge or something.

Note to self: Lrn2read    23 corpses huh? I guess live ones arent corpses...
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Cool.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Cool.

You're a bot bro

Get the thermal tazer, we can apprehend him for tests.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
DON'T BE FOOLED BY HIS STRANGELY LIFELIKE POSTS

HE'S A (MUSTANG) BOT

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
DON'T BE FOOLED BY HIS STRANGELY LIFELIKE POSTS

HE'S A (MUSTANG) BOT

TrashMan seems to have some experience shooting mechanized objects.  Perhaps we can use his services here?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm sorry. I keep confusing the tank for a vending machine or a Necron. I got a beef with both.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

...you can't do that, you know. (No literally, you cannot. They drop as items but don't show up.) I meant aliens.

A Feddie Story

These threads are really well done, and I bow to your impressive X-Com skills (seriously, I struggle on beginner in UFO defense).
I volunteer for evisceration red-shirting if there is any space left in the roster.

e: I also love the sailor civilians' logic. "Hey, I know what we should do! Since there are aliens shooting at us, lets hind behind this precarious unsecured pile of explosive barrels! What could possibly go wrong!"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:58:30 pm by DireWolf »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

...you can't do that, you know. (No literally, you cannot. They drop as items but don't show up.) I meant aliens.

Is there a reason to do that, though?  [/doesn't have tftd]