Author Topic: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil!  (Read 70148 times)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil!
Because, you know, it can never be a temple of cute fluffy goodness.  No, it has to be a temple of pure distilled EVIL, presumably broken down into its most basic elements though some demonic alchemical technique.

In order to stop this EVIL, we need adventures!  Eight of them, to be exact.  Go forth, steal from the wicked and give to yourself, and die horribly in the process.  Hopefully this will be more exciting then my last (and first) let’s play…

Available party slots: 0/10

UPDATE:  Now that I figured out how wizard familiars work, I managed to squeeze in two more party members. Options

Current Party List:
Lyndus (Alex Heartnet): Halfling Fighter (Warhammer)
Elladan (Spardason21): Elven Fighter (Greatsword)
Luna (Spoon): Elven Sorceress (Love-themed spells, Longbow?)
Lessiah (CommanderDJ): Elven Cleric (Longsword)
Slab (Axem): Dwarven Barbarian (Dwarven Waraxe)
Rodd (Rodo): Human Cleric (Preferred Weapon - ?)
Thog (LordMelvin): Half-Orc Bard (Club x2)
Lester (Polpolion): Human Wizard (Evocation, Morningstar)

Please submit the following application to the Adventurer’s Guild.

Character Name:
Race:
Height (relative to a given race’s normal height):
Hair Color (available color palette is black, blonde, brunette, light brown, light blue, pink, orange, white):
Hair Style (sadly hair length does not go beyond shoulder length):
Character class:
Preferred Weapon:
Preferred Alignment: (law/chaos/neutral, good/EVIL/neutral, subject to change depending on party alignment):
(Warrior-types only) Do you use a weapon + shield, a two-handed weapon, or two weapons?
(Magic-users only) Does your character have a given theme to her spells?  (Fire, illusionist, exc.)
SHORT Character Bio:

Note about weapons:  The game contains just about any medieval weapon you can think of, and then some.  In fact, many weapons are available in different sizes (You want to use an axe?  What kind - a normal battleaxe, a massive greataxe, or a small handaxe?)  And if it doesn’t have the weapon you are looking for, then it has a weapon that closely matches what you are looking for.  Even better, it allows you to equip weapons your character is unfamiliar with.  You want to be that evil wizard with a scythe?  Go ahead – you will receive a non-proficiency penalty if you actually use it, but it looks cool.

Alternatively, if you know the D&D 3.5 ruleset well, you can give me a detailed build.    But if you do so, keep in mind that this game follows Pen and Paper rules to a fault, so a build designed with NWN2 in mind might not work here.

If you have ever played any of the Fallout games, game mechanics are remarkably similar.  You have attribute scores that largely stay the same when you level, skills that do increase as you level, and 'feats' that are equivalent to Fallout's perks.  You also have dice rolls that determine the success (or failure) of your actions, with critical hits/critical misses possible for great/terrible rolls.  Level cap is remarkably low compared to most RPG’s (capped at level 10 in this case, or at least it would be if I was not using mods) but each level gain (usually) feels like a very real increase in power.  The biggest difference is the D&D has classes, and most combat-related abilities are tied to your chosen class(es).

Available classes and races (no prestige classes or non-standard classes or races here, sorry):

Human:
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfling

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard

Major party considerations:
Paladins can fall from grace in this game!  Having a paladin in the party forces me to play through the game in a certain style, so if I get too many requests for unscrupulous characters I might make you a fighter or cleric instead.
Party Alignment:  At the beginning the game makes you choose a certain alignment for your group.  All adventurers within the party must be within one step of that alignment.  For example, a Lawful Good party could have Lawful Neutral or Neutral Good characters in it, but no Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, or True Neutrals.  Party alignment will be chosen based on individual alignment requests, and I may have to alter some people's requested alignment.

The following roles in the party will need to be filled:
Frontline (Probably filled by more then one fighter, barbarian, or paladin)
Diplomat (Ideally a high-charisma, non-combat build rogue, but paladins, bards, and sorcerers work well too)
Magic-User (More then one please!  Like most oldschool RPG’s, you will have to rely on your magic-users to get you through the late game)
Healer (Cleric or druid, may need two for such a big party)
Rogue (The sheer size of our party means we might not actually need a rogue, depending on how many bards, monks, or rangers we have with us)

The end result will look something like this:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:45:46 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil! Adventurers wanted, apply within
Sample Adventurer’s Guild Application

Character Name: Lyndus
Race: Halfling
Height (relative to a given race’s normal height): Average
Hair Color (available color palette is black, blonde, brunette, light brown, light blue, pink, orange, white): Black
Hair Style (sadly hair length does not go beyond shoulder length): Ponytail
Character Class: Fighter
Preferred Weapon: Warhammer
Preferred Alignment: True Neutral
Fighting Style:  Two-Handed Weapon

SHORT Character Bio:

“Do not judge a book by its cover.” - Edwin Rolfe

Some members of the halfling race are known for being shy and meek.  This is not the case with Lyndus.  With the bluntness of a hammer combined with the subtlty of a bull in a china shop, she is certain to make an impact on any adventurer.

Overly cautious and pessimistic, she is always quick to complain about the rain, ‘pretty target theory’, and how ‘critters are trying to eat me again!’

Character Name: Elladan
Race: Elf
Height: Tall
Hair Color: Black
Hair Style: Tied-back
Character Class: Fighter
Preferred Weapon: Greatsword
Preferred Alignment: Chaotic Good
Fighting Style: Two-Handed Weapon

Character Bio:
Unlike most elves, Elladan is hot-tempered and quick to join the fight.  Knowing right from wrong, he will defend the powerless from anyone who threatens them, no matter the station or birth of the antagonist.  Tall and strong, he uses a greatsword and powerful armor as a way to defy those who would stereotype elves as small and fragile, and his attitude towards those who would make light of his fighting style is nothing short of contempt.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:06:25 pm by SpardaSon21 »
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thaeris told me I could be the little girl if I apply here. The nerds on IRC then forced me to name this character Luna.
I'm more or less familiar with 2nd edition through baldur's gate and icewinddale and quite familiar with 4th edition by actually playing it with friends. I will however fully admit that 3.5e is for the most part a mystery to me. So I'll leave the fine details in your capable hands.

Character Name: Luna Starsinger
Height: Below average
Hair Color: Blond
Hair Style: Ponytail or Whatever long hair is available
Character Class: Sorcerer
Preferred Weapon: Love
Preferred Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Fighting Style: Whimsically

Character Bio:

"How did I get here and what am I doing? Oooh icecream!"

While on the run for the debt collectors chasing her parents for their out of control gambling habbits, Luna suddenly found herself in places unknown to her. Easily distracted and with little coherent thought, she wandered on to follow squirrels, pixies and other wonderous things of interest. Somewhere around this point she discovered the wonders of magic and the delight of icecream. Magical icecream even!

Luna has apparantly ample aptitude for spellcasting but the constitution and the wisdom of a... well, a little elf girl. Easily distracted and not very intimidating, she's not one suited for encounters that require diplomacy (unless the goal is to confuse the **** out of the opponent, in that case you have a winner right here!). She is however quite dexterous and could probably learn how to use a sling to tackle giants or something.

Edit: Considering she's a magical girl, she should probably get a classical transformation scene in there too. /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:27:58 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Character Name: Lessiah Mestrel  (pronounced less-EE-ah)
Height: Average
Hair Colour: Brunette
Hairstyle: Untied
Character Class: Cleric
Preferred Weapon: Quarterstaff/Some sort of double ended sword.
Preferred Alignment: Lawful Good, but any Good will do
Short Bio:
Lessiah’s defining characteristic is her curiosity. She feels compelled to follow up any loose end, any mystery and any ambiguity that she comes across, but she tends to be shy and withdrawn around other adventurers. In the thick of battle, however, she is always quick to lend a helping hand or a healing word to keep her companions going.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Axem

Character Name: Slab Squatthrust
Race: Dwarf
Height: Manly Average
Hair Color: Manly Black
Hair Style: Manly and short
Character class: Barbarian
Preferred Weapon: Axes, the larger the better
Two handed weapons, PLEASE!

SHORT Character Bio:

I am here to kill all the things! If it bleeds, I'll squash it! It if fights back, I'll hack it in two! That is all.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'll give you the somewhat close specifics to my old NWN character, oh yes... I died a lot back in those days... funny days.

Character Name: Rodd Kennes
Race: Human
Height: Average
Hair Color: Black
Hair Style: Dreads.
Preferred Weapon: Hammer / Axe
Preferred Alignment: Lawfull Good
Fighting Style: One handed weapon

Character Bio:

Rodd Kennes, the relentless and dumbass cleric, always at the service of Tyr, ready to strike evil wherever, whenever.
No such enemy exists that will make this devoted believer take a step back in it's duties (not because he's brave, but because he's dumb as a rock), he's dedication to the healing arts have yielded results saving his life and others as well more that one time.
Wondering Wandering the land, looking to eradicate injustice and evilness once and for all, he goes... This, is a companion to have when your blood sprouts, but not so much when you need to run.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:09:42 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
I totes want in on this.

Character Name: Thog
Race: Half-orc
Height: 1 standard deviation above average
Hair Color :Orange
Hair Style :As Punk As Possible
Character Class: Bard
Preferred Weapon: Big Drumstick (club)
Fighting Style:  hit 'em with the drumstick

SHORT Character Bio:

Thog like noise.
Thog make noise.
Noise help fight.
Thog smash.

(Int should be the dump stat.)
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Character Name: Slab Squatthrust
BLAST HARDCHEESE!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Damn, too slow.  :(

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
In other words, no huge, exploding fireballs or other similarly impressive displays of elemental fury?  Sorcerers as a rule are better at direct damage spells then clerics are.  But, your choice.

She is however quite dexterous and could probably learn how to use a sling to tackle giants or something.
Elves are automatically proficient with the shortbow, longbow, and longsword regardless of what class they choose.  Want to be an archer instead, Spoon?

Eh, you just brought up an interesting point.  Double weapons are, in fact, not in the game.  Quarterstaves are, but the game treats them as one-ended weapons.

That would be exactly 1 inch above average - the character creation screen goes so far as to measure character height using inches and feet.

I assume you want a greatclub and not a normal one-handed club?

Preferred Weapon: Hammer / Axe
Clerics don't get martial weapon proficiency without multiclassing.  Unlike the evil mage with a scythe, a cleric will actually be USING his weapon, and thus doesn't want to take a -4 nonproficiency penalty to attack.  Taking a fighter level would cut into your spellcasting ability given the low level cap, and taking martial weapon proficiency as a feat will make you choose -one!- weapon to become proficient at.

However, you CAN choose a diety with the war domain, and become proficient with that diety's preferred weapon (and gain weapon focus with it as well)

Rodd Kennes, the relentless and dumbass cleric, always at the service of Tyr,
Sorry, wrong campaign setting to be a cleric of Tyr.  This is the Greyhawk setting, not the Forgotten Realms setting.

Fortunately!  There are deities within Greyhawk that are a close match for Tyr.  St. Cuthbert is a lawful neutral diety with a tendency towards good.  He also has the distinction of playing a significant role in the story.  Pelor is a neutral good deity that is pretty much equivalent to The Morninglord.  Heironeous is a lawful good deity that is probably the one you want. He has the war domain, so if you want access to a longsword this is the way to go.

--------------------------------

So that's 7 out of 8 party posistions filled.    However, we don't have all the bases covered!  Specifically, we lack a wizard or sorcerer whom actually has offensive spells (a fireball is NOT the power of love), and we lack skillpoint-based characters (we only have the one bard).  The eighth character need to be either a wizard, sorcerer, bard, rogue, ranger, or monk.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:55:54 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Character Name: Thog
Race: Half-orc
Hair Color :Orange
Hair Style :As Punk As Possible
Character Class: Bard
Fighting Style:  hit 'em with the drumstick

Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire Guard, ATTACK!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Eh, you just brought up an interesting point.  Double weapons are, in fact, not in the game.  Quarterstaves are, but the game treats them as one-ended weapons.

I'll go with that then.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil! Need 1 more adventurer
That would be exactly 1 inch above average - the character creation screen goes so far as to measure character height using inches and feet.
That's a little more fine-grained than I expected. Let's go for 1.1x the standard height?
I assume you want a greatclub and not a normal one-handed club?

Assuming the engine won't let me dual-wield my drumsticks, I want me a big ol' gong-worthy thumping stick. That way I can drive the rhythm right into their brains.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Character Bio:
Knowing right from wrong, he will defend the powerless from anyone who threatens them, no matter the station or birth of the antagonist...
Alignment needs to match RP, please.  Your bio describes a Chaotic Good character.

SHORT Character Bio:
I am here to kill all the things! If it bleeds, I'll squash it! It if fights back, I'll hack it in two! That is all.
Alignment!  You just described a Chaotic Neutral, leaning towards EVIL

Assuming the engine won't let me dual-wield my drumsticks, I want me a big ol' gong-worthy thumping stick. That way I can drive the rhythm right into their brains.
Two-weapon fighting is indeed an option, sorry for the confusion.  (A darth maul-style double sword, on the other hand, isn't.)  Very well then, you can have your duel bashing sticks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:26:30 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
Two-weapon fighting is indeed an option, sorry for the confusion.  (A darth maul-style double sword, on the other hand, isn't.)  Very well then, you can have your duel bashing sticks.
They're not bashing sticks, they're drumsticks!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In other words, no huge, exploding fireballs or other similarly impressive displays of elemental fury?  Sorcerers as a rule are better at direct damage spells then clerics are.  But, your choice.
Nah, it just means that she throws fireballs and blows people up with love:p

Elves are automatically proficient with the shortbow, longbow, and longsword regardless of what class they choose.  Want to be an archer instead, Spoon?
Sure, lets go with that. Probably shortbows depending if 3e edition has the same high strength requirements for big longbows 2nd edition had.
(In 2nd edition, even if your race had proficiency with a weapon, you'd usually still be restricted by what the class was allowed to wield. Thus I assumed slings from the beginning.)

Urutorahappī!!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm in. Make me a human paladin.
Prefered weapon - greatsword. Or if that is problematic sword+shield. Or mace+shield.

Character Name: Lotion Soronarr
Race: Human
Height: 5 above average
Hair Color: light brown
Hair Style: short
Character class: Paladin
Preferred Weapon: Greatsword
Preferred Alignment: Self-explanatory

SHORT Character Bio:
Suprisingly he doesn't have a stick up his arse, on the accout that he was an orphan and a thief and forest robber before he got caught by a paladin, who out of pitty, trained him.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:10:39 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Quote from: Alex Heartnet
The eighth character need to be either a wizard, sorcerer, bard, rogue, ranger, or monk.
Notice how that doesn't mention Paladin in there.
I know reading isn't your strong suit, Trashman. But at least try
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
If I were more evil I'd ninja that last slot from Trash, but let's give him another try to make one of those needed characters since he sort of "applied" already.
Habeeb it...