Author Topic: Home One  (Read 53117 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually it was modelled in Blender by Snaga and then unwrapped and AO-baked by VA.  Never got beyond that though, there's still a lot of work left for a usable model.

edit:  Bad attribution cockup
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:59:01 am by chief1983 »
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Gank

Fair enough, the old one was from xwau and there were a few strings attached to using it.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
We're trying to implement a policy of all original content for this mod.  We've got a few things currently in from other sources that we're using as placeholders, but the release version shouldn't have anything that wasn't created by or for us.

Offline Gank

I was just checking as i hadnt logged in in years and when i checked my private messages saw one from chief1983 way way back in 2007 asking me about models on the ftp. Sorry chief never saw it, irrelavent now anyways

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
lol wow I forgot all about that, I was like, what do you mean the old one?  Haha.  Nice to see you around!
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Gank

cheers, just out of curiosity.... whats polycount/texture sizes are you guys aiming for?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Well, the Home One has 4x 4096^2 textures and the ISD will have a single 8192^2 texture, so a Liberty would be somewhere in that ballpark as well. As for polys, the ISD has about 100k tris and the Home One about 250k.

Offline Gank

Cant wait to see em in game then. Was asking more about guidelines for creation though, eg, fighters should be under this limit, shuttles this, med sized cap ships this etc.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Generally, rules for FS apply. If unsure, make the textures the largest size you can. If the layout is well thought-out, you can always downscale them if needed. Polycount seems not to be an issue those days, though a 250k fighter would obviously be an overkill. :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
That said, our fighters have been heavily optimized poly-wise through the use of normal maps to increase detail level.  And those are generated from height maps, which we might be able to use natively at some point down the line.

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Would like to see the other Mon Calamari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FTmPTip0lI
like these ones.

In the Collector's Intro all Mon Calamari looks like Home One.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNQa7z7F1-M
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline zookeeper

There's no particular limits for models as such, but I suppose our existing models serve as a guideline of sorts, here's a few random examples of tricounts:

X-wing: ~6300
TIE: ~2400
Lambda: ~5500
Action VI: ~8600
Carrack: ~12000
Dreadnaught: ~40000

As for textures, almost all of our fighters and transports use a single 2048^2 texture. Capship texture sizes vary from that up to the Home One and ISD setups pretty much according to the ship's size.

Especially for fighters and other small ships, the absolute tricount doesn't really matter much as long as the ship is properly LODded... at least as far as rendering performance is concerned. I suppose collision detection performance is likely a much greater concern, although sooner or later we'll probably get the ability to for example use LODs for collision detection.

Offline Gank

Ah the battle of turkana, used to sneak into my mothers work at lunchtime to play xwing on the office 486. Sadly the mon cals in the first video, like all the xwing series versions are pretty inaccurate to the movie models. XWAu's is probably the best representation so far, gven the limited reference around back then.

Incidentally xwing was the first game i ever modded, could never stop the tie bombers blowing up the redemption in mission four so changed them into tie fighters with a hex editor. didnt have the internet back then

Texturewise i usually work at twice the resolution of the one thats going to be used. Normal maps are good specially for organic shapes, but i dunno, always seemed to me that throwing in an extra few hundred polys, specially on angular space ships, would cause less of a na over head than a second texture and rendering pass. Thats said i dont know that much about it

Offline Gank

I got an unfinished action vi thats a bit higher than yours, also a mess of inverted faces, dodgy smoothing and duplicate faces, but it is wip

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, we had a fairly high poly one before our current one, but the reason we went with the current one is because it came with such an awesome texture set.  That does look very promising though.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Texturing is where we're really short-handed right now.  Obviously, since we already have one in-game, it's not a priority, but if you were to complete it and do a stellar texture job it would be possible to replace our current model.

I'd say your skills would be better spent filling a need that we current haven't met though.  There's still a handful of ships (including OT movie ships like the Gallowfree Transport) that are waiting for a good modeler to come along.

Offline zookeeper

Texturing is where we're really short-handed right now.  Obviously, since we already have one in-game, it's not a priority, but if you were to complete it and do a stellar texture job it would be possible to replace our current model.

Not good enough; you'd also need to convert it to a similar standard as the current one, which is a non-trivial amount of work in itself.

Just to make things absolutely clear: please don't spend time on a new Action VI, if there's anything else you could possibly do. The current one is so good that redoing it would only be a huge waste of time.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, the Home One has 4x 4096^2 textures and the ISD will have a single 8192^2 texture, so a Liberty would be somewhere in that ballpark as well. As for polys, the ISD has about 100k tris and the Home One about 250k.
It's probably more of a question of what your minimum system requirements will be than anything else, but I know there are some lower to mid-range video cards that don't support texture sizes greater than 4096^2.  Might be something to keep in mind.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Create a lower resolution texture for the Core and keep the original for Advance

Offline Gank

Sorry, didnt mean to be misleading, i know you already have one in game, and wasnt offering it as a replacement. I know theres a fair bit more than just modelling and texturing to putting a ship in game. Thatssaid this one will be about 30k when its finished and will have stellar textures, however its on hold at the minute as i havent done any modelling/texturing for a few years and i'm working on something smaller to get back in the swing of things. Hence the q on polycounts.

Honestly spent 10+ years working on mods for various games and a lot of stuff i spent countless hours on never saw the light of day and was lost in HD crashes, so anything i do now is at my own leisure and for my own pleasure. I do however have a few things in the pipeline which may be of use to you and i'll let you know if and when they're finished.

Just as a point of interest the reason i decided to redo the old one i had in high poly was i saw the original concept art was released, makes some interesting comments on how designs get away from their originally intent when different people work on them :
http://rob-caswell.deviantart.com/art/Wild-Karrde-Development-182886264