Author Topic: Home One  (Read 53114 times)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looks awesome! I dig those big tank things, they could be great for player interaction.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Cool. :yes: Is it a docking arm that's in front of the bottom engines? If so, it'd be nice if it was rotation-compatible, so it could stay retracted when nothing's docked.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Pretty good ammount of detail and good topology on the model itself. Very impressive. c:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

I could make the arm rotation capable, all it needs is a cylinder as a joint. I certainly lends itself to the role of docking arm.

I'm not sure what the tanks are supposed to be ( they're not on the movie model, though). I added them for a bit of variety on the surface. They could be some sort of pressurized vessel. Maybe they store sewage, for collection later. They're not armoured, whatever they are.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
It's premium H2O all the way from the deepest oceans of Mon Calamari itself. Destroying them causes local turret fire rate to slow down due to poor morale.

Here's an image of the lambda in the shuttle bay. I had to scale it up to 20m in length, though. It imported really small, for some reason.

As to the hangar itself, I'm trying to decide what to put in the back. The movie never showed what was behind the Millennium Falcon. I'm thinking I'll put a big door. That way it can be suggested that it is bigger, and there won't be places for the AI to get stuck in. I've had fighters follow me into the XQ2, and they can never get out.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I'm not a fan of the ball turrets. I like the single-barrel turrets though - I think you could get away with a longer-barreled version to provide some variety. Otherwise, I think Invisible Hand-style gunports are the solution.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

That's a good idea. I had resisted gun ports before, just because they really limited the field of fire. But for big mega-guns, maybe the limited field of fire could be okay. The ball turrets could be replaced with gun ports, or even put behind the hull, with the barrels peeking out of slots. Gun ports would also work with the aesthetic of the ship. I'll give it a try.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Although a realistic field of fire would be pretty narrow, you could probably manage a 90 degree turret FOV without it even looking weird.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

A little update:

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
Looking good! you alway had a knack for the large scale, me not so much

me not so much

Sure you can! Just use buildings as reference, to establish scale.

Here's an update:

The hangar bay that the Braha'tok is facing is the same type as those on the port side of the Home One. There are sets of fighter bays on either side, and a large arm inside the main bay. The arm on the outside of the ship is too short, so I'll probably make it into a com tower or something.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 You could turn external arm into a fuel pipe or something along those lines.

So I've finished UV Mapping the hangars, and they're ready to texture.

And the underside had a change in the geometry since the last image (also UV mapped):

You could turn external arm into a fuel pipe or something along those lines.

That would also be an option. I don't know what kind of fuel requirements Star Wars ships have, but they must refuel sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:02:28 pm by bobbtmann »

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Good job, keep it up. :yes:

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That hangar bay looks fantastic. Now if only our ships had landing skids. Ah well, one thing at a time...

Amazing work guys! This is absolutely incredible. :yes:

That hangar bay looks fantastic. Now if only our ships had landing skids. Ah well, one thing at a time...
Oh, man. I can't wait for that. :nod:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Here's an update. The first image is a test for the track lights on the ceiling. The second is a test to see how much light bleeds into the main hangar from the side bays alone. It didn't really finish rendering, since it was taking a long time. I expect that baking these glow maps will take a while.

I'm in the process of texturing the main bay right now, so the colours have changed a bit since the last render.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something