Author Topic: Home One  (Read 53111 times)

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I am so excited to see the progress on this!  It's looking great - I'm sure it'll be amazing in-game.

Fantastic! She's looking exceptionally good. I can't wait to see this baby in the middle of combat. :nod:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

I was dissatisfied by the repetitiveness of the texture I had before. To fix it, I'm adding coloured tiles into the underlying layer to make it feel more considered. The texture on the previous posts will still be there, but it will be subdued.

You can see in this image the front half has been finished, and the back half is the (repetitive) original:

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Liking the new texture a lot
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Luis Dias

Colors?...?

Well, I think the "repetitiveness" of the texture is mainly due of the texture you have being... well, repetitive?

Perhaps trying to randomize more the plate textures, and then afterwards inserting the dirt may help a lot.

At least that's how I interpret this picture:

Colors??

Yes, colours.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd say, the effect you got is very faithful. IMHO, it looks a bit odd, but since that's how the source model looked, I guess it's good.

Mines rougher than the original, right now.

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
though it already beats any previous game incarnation I have seen, 2 thumbs up

Here's an early version of the ships turrets. It was inspired by one of the Liberty's guns, as well as the braha'tok's turrets. Essentially, it's a scaled up version of the braha'toks, with heavy-set features. It's supposed to add a sense of connection with the other rebel ship.

Top Left: Home One's turret
Bottom Right: Dreadnought's turret
Bottom Left: Braha'tok's turret
Centre: A person
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 09:28:40 pm by bobbtmann »

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
One thing I'm kinda missing are single-barrel turrets. The vast majority of turrets on our ships are double-barreled so it'd be nice to have more of the single-barreled type, especially when the double-barreled guns would likely often end up not firing paired shots anyway. For example, all the ISD's multi-barreled guns (and that's all of them, except for two single-barreled guns) fire bursts rather than salvos, because it's more movie-accurate, making the number of barrels on each gun fairly inconsequential.

I think double-barreled turrets are perfect for the most common type (a medium-range "standard" laser), whereas single-barreled guns would IMO visually work better for long-range lasers with more punch and slower rate of fire.

Also, while I think Home One wouldn't sport much anti-starfighter guns, if you want to add some (around the command pods, for example) then the possibility of gun ports has remained completely unused on our ships so far. That is, simply an opening in the hull, bordered by hangar-entrance-style lights and a black forcefield (rather than a transparent one), with a singlepart turret behind it.

I'll make a single barrel turret, and we'll compare. You're probably right about the single barrel turrets looking more powerful.

Okay, I've made a single barrel turret:

Offline zookeeper

Looks good to me. Maybe I'd switch the barrels so that the double-barreled one has two slightly shorter barrels, and the single-barreled one has one thinner and longer barrel, but it works either way.

Also, looking at the attached shot gave me the idea that it might be worth considering turning a few (maybe only 2-3) of the pods into superheavy anti-capship turrets (a counterpart to the ISD's octuples, basically) with a very limited firing arc directly forwards (probably they couldn't even rotate at all, but only act as singlepart turrets with a 1-3 degree FOV). Or maybe they could even rotate (very slowly), if it wouldn't look too silly. :nervous: I'm not sure how many suitable pods for that there might be, though.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

I've looked at the pods, and none of them really make good candidates for giant guns. They're supported by very small struts, they're all very asymmetrical, and the best pods have obstructed views. The really big guns could be in gun ports, like you were suggesting for the anti-starfighter turrets. They could be housed in some of the blisters.

How many of these do you think they should have? According to Wookieepedia this ship has 36 turbos, and 36 ion. That's half the armament of the ISD II, for a ship that's twice the length.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I've looked at the pods, and none of them really make good candidates for giant guns. They're supported by very small struts, they're all very asymmetrical, and the best pods have obstructed views. The really big guns could be in gun ports, like you were suggesting for the anti-starfighter turrets. They could be housed in some of the blisters.

How many of these do you think they should have? According to Wookieepedia this ship has 36 turbos, and 36 ion. That's half the armament of the ISD II, for a ship that's twice the length.

My SW lore is a little rusty on this point but IIRC the mon cal cruisers had redundant shields making them much more durable than their Imperial counterparts and the ISD II was built as heavy cruiser to counter to the mon cal cruisers.

In a strait up fight while the mon cal dosnt punch as hard its shields would probably stay functional longer allowing it to start picking off turrets on the ISD(II) before its shields fail
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm.  Aren't the rest of the Mon Cals in general smaller than an ISD II?  I thought only Home one was the really big beast.  Might want to adjust weapon count accordingly, since it's the Alliance flagship.

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Home One is only 1300m

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Home_One

From the other Star Wars Mod:

The ISDII is a might warship. The rebel only a cruiser ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:31:32 pm by Deathsnake »
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline zookeeper

All right, that's probably a better idea then.

Well, I don't see any reason to stick to whatever Wookieepedia or any other source says, as long as there's no canon schematic of how many guns there are and where exactly they are.

Here's some arbitrary numbers that we can use as a starting point:

10 anti-capship ion cannons
15 anti-fighter guns
30 medium-range general-purpose guns
10 heavy anti-capship guns
4 superheavy anti-capship guns
69 total

Alternative, with less distinct types:

15 anti-fighter guns
30 medium-range general-purpose guns
20 heavy anti-capship guns
4 superheavy anti-capship guns