Author Topic: Home One  (Read 53115 times)

Offline mandobardanjusik

• impossible username
  • maveric modeler, the sky is just the begining
That big ball turret reminds me of the ion cannon on Hoth, which makes sense.

actualy the Ion Cannon on off was FROM a capital ship, so it does make perfect sense

I don't have a particular opinion on whether they should rotate or not. Allowing rotation allows for a bit more versatile FOV, but that's a choice mostly based on flavour reasons.

I prefer a rotating turret for that reason. It seems a shame to have a big gun and not be able point it at stuff.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Would having extra blisters of that size be really obvious when looking at the model from distances/angles similar to what is shown in the movies? If not, I say go for it :yes:

That big ball turret reminds me of the ion cannon on Hoth, which makes sense.

That's the effect I was hoping for. It's a little bit different, I wanted to tie it in with my other turrets. But for the most part it's an attempt to tie into the movies.

Would having extra blisters of that size be really obvious when looking at the model from distances/angles similar to what is shown in the movies? If not, I say go for it :yes:

On the front it's pretty obvious. I was thinking: stationary barrels on the front, ball turrets on the side. The ball turrets are recessed pretty far into the hull, so they can't rotate that much, but they're not as visible either.

Here's an update:

http://p3d.in/5OQpe

Note, the black lines surrounding everything is not present normally. They were created when I baked the four maps into one. You'll have to use your imagination to remove the lines.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
oh wow, I can't wait to see this in game!  :yes: :yes: :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Looking great!

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Awesome! Flying past those engines is going to be such a trip :) Are those little roundish sub-blisters gonna be turned into the ball turrets you posted earlier or are they something else?

Those little floating ones? They're on the movie model. I wasn't planning to make them turrets, but they could be. They're reasonably placed.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Looks like there's about 40 of them--that could round out the turret complement nicely (I counted around 36 big guns) without having to make substantial deviations from the filming model. Anyway, just a thought :yes:

Looks like there's about 40 of them...

Okay, I don't think we were talking about the same thing. You mean those very small round blisters, that are scattered on top of the other blisters? They're the harbingers of more small blisters yet to come. A form of incomplete greebling if you will. The actual ball turrets would be bigger.

Offline guitarfan01

• Longtime Lurker
One of the things I've never been able to understand about any of the Calamari ships is where the guns are.  Star Destroyers have their turrets, but Mon Cal Cruisers just seem to have bumps everywhere and no barrels.

This is looking absolutely spectacular.  Fine work!

One of the things I've never been able to understand about any of the Calamari ships is where the guns are.  Star Destroyers have their turrets, but Mon Cal Cruisers just seem to have bumps everywhere and no barrels.

That's pretty much how I find the Home One, too. Zookeeper found some things on the Liberty that could be turrets of some sort.

Sorry if this does not fit in this Topic.
I found some kind of other Calamari - Cruiser.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Star-Wars-Starship-Battles-Mon-Calamari-Star-Defender-Viscount-/271157791620?pt=Rollenspiele_Tabletops&hash=item3f22438b84

Do you know that ship? I never seen it before.
My english isnt very good. Please forgive me :)

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Yeah, it's a gigantic post-Endor EU ship, probably too big compared to the rest of our stuff at the moment.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viscount-class_Star_Defender

I don't understand why the Viscount is so big. Or rather, why doesn't it look bigger? The SSD looks big, this one looks like a blown-up miniature. They should stretch it out, and shrink the pods.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
EU = (OT - inspiration - consistency)^10 much more biggerer

Any progress on Home One? I've been getting more and more excited for it with each update :)

Not much right now. Details, mostly.

Here's an update. The stuff I've done recently has been fairly small; tiny blisters, antennae, and the likes. I've added four ball turrets on the nose, but I find they break up the silhouette a bit too much (despite how small they are). I'll probably try to camouflage them a bit with the texture.

http://p3d.in/5OQpe

Next up, the hangar bays.