Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305130 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
The aversion to say characters that are clearly shown dying are dead is even worse than in Avatar, even by kids cartoons standards it's a bit too much in this.
Yeah, this has left me scratching my head a few times, the death are even more blatant than back in avatar, but nope, saying the words "dead", "killed", etc. ist verbotten.

And the Korrasami thing is subtle [...]
That's a fairly common sentiment, although I've always been surprised at how widespread it is. Back in the day, I knew even less about LGBT & queer stuff than I do now, I'd always stayed away from the shipping mentality, and I yet I picked up on it pretty much straight away. Heck I even found it a bit heavy handed due to how blatant it was in the final season.

In any case, yeah Nick saying "you've got 1 season, and only one !", then going "cool, what do you have planned for the next 3 seasons ?" harmed the series quite a bit. With that being said, I re-watched bits of it far more than I ever did A:TLA, and I get the impression that it's emboldened a whole new generation of cartoons to be more daring.

I got the vibes mostly from season 3, in season 4 they sort of forget to make them interact for a bit too long.

The Legend of Korra
You can clearly tell that this wasn't planned at all
[...]
 the lack of direction is felt a bit too much.

But doesn't it fit with the idea of teenage leads and a world that doesn't really need an Avatar at times?

You can still have that and a more coherent narrative that doesn't feel the need to constantly depower the protagonist for the sake of drama. I still don't get why in the finale she couldn't just enter the Avatar state and junk the megamech. It's pretty clear they couldn't plan narrative beats as carefully so they had to stick to some cheap narrative solutions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:25:50 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I just finished watching ATLA a few days ago and am almost done with TLOK Season 1 (I’m just about to watch “Endgame” as I’m writing this) but because of spoilers I read at TvTropes, I know about the Kosira ship.  From what I understand, each season/Book having its own arc was a deliberate decision by the show’s creators to highlight how the world needs the Avatar to deal with its many issues and problems, as opposed to ATLA’s single Big Bad. More commentary on TLOK from me will have to wait until I finish watching the rest of Books 2 through 4.

EDIT: Just finished watching “Endgame“ and reading TvTropes’ recap of the episode. Apparently, Book 1 was originally intended to be a single season “miniseries” before Nickelodeon approved the later seasons. (If this fact was mentioned in an earlier post, I missed it. Derp.) Frankly, the scene of Amon+Tarrlok+electric glove+speedboat fuel tank was a Wham Shot for me. I officially have NO idea how Nickelodeon let the writers get away with that on a kid’s show. Still a Tear Jerker/Alas, Poor Villain moment, though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:01:08 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I just finished watching ATLA a few days ago and am almost done with TLOK Season 1 (I’m just about to watch “Endgame” as I’m writing this) but because of spoilers I read at TvTropes, I know about the Kosira ship.  From what I understand, each season/Book having its own arc was a deliberate decision by the show’s creators to highlight how the world needs the Avatar to deal with its many issues and problems, as opposed to ATLA’s single Big Bad. More commentary on TLOK from me will have to wait until I finish watching the rest of Books 2 through 4.
Note that the only season that doesn't really have a conclusive ending is season 3.
I wouldn't be surprised that had they've been sure from the start the series would be picked up for subsequent seasons they wouldn't have made a certain choice with Korra at the end of season 1.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Watched BNA (Brand New Animal). I'm a bit behind on this one, but I really enjoyed it. 12 episodes, fun, and - like everything Studio Trigger does - real nice to look at.

Then I decided to start K-On! because it was either that or Japan Sinks 2020 and I decided to go with the low-stress option. Then I finished the first season and was like "that was fun".

So now I'm watching Japan Sinks 2020. And let me tell you, as somebody who lives in a fault zone: If you're the sort of person to worry about earthquakes, maybe give this one a pass. Otherwise, it's so far a very good disaster series.

Also also, Attack on Titan Final Season just started, so that's cool.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I decided to rewatch childhood favourite Nadia: The Mystery of Blue Water, it has still some cases of anime-ness in places (probably also due to being the uncensored version made for the DVDs rather than the edited version which went on air when I was a kid) but it’s sort of better than I remembered. Bonus points for having remembered Captain Nemo is not supposed to be white. Of course according to what I’ve read I am still a way off from the worst filler episodes.

The Mandalorian turned into a fanservice singularity in the last episode, I couldn’t believe they were going there when a certain ship appeared but the more it went on the more it was apparent they did.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Ghost Stories - the butter wouldn't melt Japanese anime for children that was corrupted and turned into an rated 18 by the English dub. On Amazon prime and it is bloody hilarious  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The Ghost Stories dub is a goddamn treasure.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Boy the filler episodes are really dire, it doesn't even look like the same show as the first twenty or so episodes. It's to the point I'd have guessed something wasup even if I didn't knew already they were outsourced and heavily rewritten by the animation studio they were outsourced to.
You get glimpses here and there of character development but it's mostly weird looney tunes hijinks (literally, even the lighter pre-filler episodes avoided going full Wile E. Coyote) and everyone's personality being cranked up to eleven.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 10:58:30 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Watched the first episode of Avatar Korra last night in bed while my wife slept.

Shane it didn't show the formation of the Republic..... Unless it happens in flashbacks later on...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've finished Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.
Good grief the end of the fillers couldn't come soon enough, if it wasn't for having a cookie cutter anime Robinsonade plus the three African filler episodes wedged in about two-thirds of the way it would actually be far better than I remembered from my childhood memories.
Of course it's still a lot better just not as dramatically as it could.
I wonder how the alleged 6 hour miniseries Anno apparently recobbled for the japanese market would fare.

Watched the first episode of Avatar Korra last night in bed while my wife slept.

Shane it didn't show the formation of the Republic..... Unless it happens in flashbacks later on...
You get a few glimpses of the early republic but nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:08:25 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Hilda is more british than I thought it would be.
It's basically a chill version of Gravity Falls without the rapid fire Simpson-style humor that kind of annoyed me in that one.
And it's also basically a Tolkien-style fantasy world that was allowed to go beyond the middle ages, while there are cars and the clothing is modern there are also giants, trolls, house spirits and other such creatures around without the classic "masquerade" going on.

Since it's from the same author as Nadia I finally decided to arrive late to the party and got the old Italian dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion (yeah, I heard too many bad stories about the Netflix one, even the corrected version has apparently a few weird choices and apparently lacks Fly Me to The Moon) and watched the first two episodes.
I thought the parodies I saw and read over the years were exaggerating but by god Gendo doesn't really make a mystery of being at best indifferent to his son already the first time he speaks to him in the show. The guy is basically a version of Shadow Weaver that doesn't even bother to appear to care every once in a while.
I had already read something about what the EVA are years ago but that glimpse under the helmet was something.
I'll probably watch the rest once I finish with season 2 of Hilda.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:58:56 am by Det. Bullock »

You know a romance anime is good when at least once per episode you're overcome with the urge to shout, "AH! you NERDS!"

Anyway, I'm watching Tsukigakirei. It's about middle-schoolers, so I suppose some amount of nerdiness is expected.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
About 2/3 of the way through Beast Player Erin. It's a decade-old fantasy series based on novels by the same author as Moribito, and like the latter it's fantastic, with the same attention to detail and world-building. It's ostensibly a children's series, but like most truly good children's literature it can be equally enjoyed by all ages, and it takes a more mature look at loss and grief than most "adult" series do.  Truly a hidden gem.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Season 5 of The Expanse. I have been waiting for this **** for five ****ing years god damn it this show is so good.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Luis Dias

Season 5 of The Expanse. I have been waiting for this **** for five ****ing years god damn it this show is so good.

I've been told it's the worst, especially in character development

https://twitter.com/realMikeMartin/status/1344196108218601474

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

I've been told it's the worst, especially in character development

https://twitter.com/realMikeMartin/status/1344196108218601474

Stop listening to people with bad opinions on Twitter.

I mean, we're on Season 5 of a show that has featured a bunch of pretty well-developed storylines both on a personal and geopolitical level and your very smart boi over there stopped watching in season 2 because he apparently missed half of those plots....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Hilda
Oh, goddamit, to which elder god do I need to give a blood sacrifice for the third season?
Joking aside, that was one hell of a cliffhanger.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Finished TLOK book 1:air

Seemed OK, but felt harried to finish.  Also, she managed to Rey Skywalker her avatar state by being a bit sad 😂
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Yeah, that's what you get when the network goes "You've got one and *only* one season for this show, so you better wrap everything up !", so they "max-level'd" Korra, gave her a boyfriend and tied up every plot threads as best they could.

I will admit that it's actually quite amusing to see them kinda struggling to give Korra credible challenges in the following 3 seasons' fights.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I watched some of the new season of Cosmos today, It's really good so far, loving it.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299