Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 196496 times)

Online Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
The aversion to say characters that are clearly shown dying are dead is even worse than in Avatar, even by kids cartoons standards it's a bit too much in this.
Yeah, this has left me scratching my head a few times, the death are even more blatant than back in avatar, but nope, saying the words "dead", "killed", etc. ist verbotten.

And the Korrasami thing is subtle [...]
That's a fairly common sentiment, although I've always been surprised at how widespread it is. Back in the day, I knew even less about LGBT & queer stuff than I do now, I'd always stayed away from the shipping mentality, and I yet I picked up on it pretty much straight away. Heck I even found it a bit heavy handed due to how blatant it was in the final season.

In any case, yeah Nick saying "you've got 1 season, and only one !", then going "cool, what do you have planned for the next 3 seasons ?" harmed the series quite a bit. With that being said, I re-watched bits of it far more than I ever did A:TLA, and I get the impression that it's emboldened a whole new generation of cartoons to be more daring.

I got the vibes mostly from season 3, in season 4 they sort of forget to make them interact for a bit too long.

The Legend of Korra
You can clearly tell that this wasn't planned at all
[...]
 the lack of direction is felt a bit too much.

But doesn't it fit with the idea of teenage leads and a world that doesn't really need an Avatar at times?

You can still have that and a more coherent narrative that doesn't feel the need to constantly depower the protagonist for the sake of drama. I still don't get why in the finale she couldn't just enter the Avatar state and junk the megamech. It's pretty clear they couldn't plan narrative beats as carefully so they had to stick to some cheap narrative solutions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:25:50 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I just finished watching ATLA a few days ago and am almost done with TLOK Season 1 (I’m just about to watch “Endgame” as I’m writing this) but because of spoilers I read at TvTropes, I know about the Kosira ship.  From what I understand, each season/Book having its own arc was a deliberate decision by the show’s creators to highlight how the world needs the Avatar to deal with its many issues and problems, as opposed to ATLA’s single Big Bad. More commentary on TLOK from me will have to wait until I finish watching the rest of Books 2 through 4.

EDIT: Just finished watching “Endgame“ and reading TvTropes’ recap of the episode. Apparently, Book 1 was originally intended to be a single season “miniseries” before Nickelodeon approved the later seasons. (If this fact was mentioned in an earlier post, I missed it. Derp.) Frankly, the scene of Amon+Tarrlok+electric glove+speedboat fuel tank was a Wham Shot for me. I officially have NO idea how Nickelodeon let the writers get away with that on a kid’s show. Still a Tear Jerker/Alas, Poor Villain moment, though.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:01:08 pm by Su-tehp »
Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Online Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I just finished watching ATLA a few days ago and am almost done with TLOK Season 1 (I’m just about to watch “Endgame” as I’m writing this) but because of spoilers I read at TvTropes, I know about the Kosira ship.  From what I understand, each season/Book having its own arc was a deliberate decision by the show’s creators to highlight how the world needs the Avatar to deal with its many issues and problems, as opposed to ATLA’s single Big Bad. More commentary on TLOK from me will have to wait until I finish watching the rest of Books 2 through 4.
Note that the only season that doesn't really have a conclusive ending is season 3.
I wouldn't be surprised that had they've been sure from the start the series would be picked up for subsequent seasons they wouldn't have made a certain choice with Korra at the end of season 1.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor