Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 307641 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Daybreak episode 2....
I feel a kindred to Tigh buying his war buddy shots in a skin bar,  but I feel closer to Adama throwing up in his lap in an alley behind a bin 😂😂
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

holy **** the boys season 2 is just super, pun intended etc

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It is.   Homelander has a slightly different take on the "stood on roof at night" pose than batman....
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Luis Dias

he can do anything...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finished watching Beast Wars (PC)
I can see why people are nostalgic for it, there is some decent character development and in general for a toy oriented show it's much better than it has any right to be. The ending was a bit rushed and it's pretty clear Dinobot II was a request from the Hasbro execs.

Doom Patrol manages to be both hilarious and harrowing, I only wish they didn't end every season in a cliffhanger.

Netflix Carmen Sandiego season 3 is evidently a half season.
The episode set in Venice was almost bearable but then at the end they had a cop shout Fermare! which is so catastrophically incorrect I won't say anything anymore because it would be a rant about the use of Imperative in Italian.
Dear writers, if you write your foreign dialogue with google translate or just give no context to whoever does your translations just write all dialogues in english since it's evidently the only language you know.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

I'm currently rewatching Toradora! which is SO GOOD you guys. It's cute, and full of feelings, and funny, and has really good character writing and dialogue. It's really good.

The episode set in Venice was almost bearable but then at the end they had a cop shout Fermare! which is so catastrophically incorrect I won't say anything anymore because it would be a rant about the use of Imperative in Italian.
Dear writers, if you write your foreign dialogue with google translate or just give no context to whoever does your translations just write all dialogues in english since it's evidently the only language you know.

I had to ask at least two fluent Spanish speakers what the equivalent of "HELP!" is in Spanish, in the context of "HELP there's an angry monster over here, somebody please kill it!" I'm pretty sure the word is "Auxilio!" but I'm still not 100% sure on that...

Offline Luis Dias

Auxilio seems a little to well behaved and formal for such a situation, but I don't really speak spanish that well, we kinda foster a hyper-nationalistic dismissal of our imperial neighbour, including its culture and language, so idk.  ¡Ayuda! seems more in line?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Discovery: mass effect edition looks to be the only thing keeping my interest until the boys comes back.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Auxilio seems a little to well behaved and formal for such a situation, but I don't really speak spanish that well, we kinda foster a hyper-nationalistic dismissal of our imperial neighbour, including its culture and language, so idk.  ¡Ayuda! seems more in line?
I don't know much of anything spanish but considering the languages are similar ¡Ayuda! does indeed sound more natural.

I'm currently rewatching Toradora! which is SO GOOD you guys. It's cute, and full of feelings, and funny, and has really good character writing and dialogue. It's really good.

I had to ask at least two fluent Spanish speakers what the equivalent of "HELP!" is in Spanish, in the context of "HELP there's an angry monster over here, somebody please kill it!" I'm pretty sure the word is "Auxilio!" but I'm still not 100% sure on that...
I don't know much Spanish but "Ausilio" in Italian is not the kind of word you'd shout when calling for help.
In Italian would be more or less "Aiuto! C'è un mostro infuriato, per favore qualcuno lo uccida!"
The example from Carmen Sandiego was something much more straightforward, it's likely they put the word "stop" into google translate and it came out "fermare" which is the basic infinite of the verb. It can be used as imperative but only in the context of a terse order to a group of people you have authority on like a Captain to a crew, for example "turn to starboard!"  can be translated "virare a dritta!" in alternative to the normal imperative "virate a dritta!"
The imperative singular for "fermare" is "fermati!" with accent on the first sillable (otherwise it's a plural participle) but in that context a cop would most likely shout "fermo!" which can be intended as a shortened version of the longer sentence "stai fermo lì!" (more or less "stop right there" literally "stay still there"), an alternative would be the slightly less terse "fermo lì!" and there is also a possibility of the use of foreign loan words like "altolà!" or "alt!" (from the German "halten") or, ironically enough, "stop".
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:33:50 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Ooh, Italian lesson!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
In the end I couldn't resist and did the rant anyway, at least it's more or less coherent and less sweary than what I was tempted to write initially.  :nervous:

Yes, I completely missed out on this back in the day. I hadn't even heard of the thing until the movie came out and people started complaining about it.
You can tell it had much more money poured into it than most of today's cartoons and that had it come out today the usual suspects would probably complain about it because of Sokka having his MRA tendencies beat out of him every other episode.
And I think I might have already watched half the first season over lunch and dinner.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Solar opposites..... I'm watching that as its just Rick and morty with a different skin.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Solar opposites..... I'm watching that as its just Rick and morty with a different skin.

Is it as good as Rick and Morty? Because I saw one ad for it and then nothing else ever, no memes or anything.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finished Avatar The Last Airbender and I can clearly see it's been very influential. The aspects that haven't aged well are mostly due to it being very much a TV product (like, can we please clearly know if a character died? You can tell the showrunners were frustrated with it because they themselves joke about it in the show itself and some parts are not as emotionally raw as what you can see in something more recent like She-Ra) but the rest works really well.
There is more money put in the animation than in most current shows though there are a few conspicous animation errors towards the end (Nickelodeon cutting funds?) and the fight scenes look gorgeous as a result even if being TV animation from the mid-2000s it's still finalized in SD.

Kipo and The Age of Wonderbeasts
Jack Kirby's Kamandi but with a dash of Fallout (the "burrows" are basically Fallout's vaults).
It manages to be both dramatic and surreally funny, one moment there are mutated bees that talk in dubstep the other you get a tragic and often rather dark backstory (no, I don't necessarily mean "dark for a kids show" some of these backstories wouldn't feel out of place in Fallout if perhaps are not the most extreme examples of what you can find there).
I wish there was a bit more but the order from Netflix was for thirty episodes and the showrunners wisely decided to conclude the story within that limit.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Solar opposites.....

I have no excuse 😂😂
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Touhou Memories of Phantasm.

Not really an official anime but it might as well be, the voice acting is pretty damn good (aside from that one awful episode with Utsuho vs Cirno) and the art is incredible.

Favorite episode is the Imperishable Night one, for obvious reasons.

Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The Legend of Korra
You can clearly tell that this wasn't planned at all after the first season and sometimes is seems to be pandering to fandom objections.
The second half of the series in particular (and perhaps even part of season 2) seems intent of overcompensating any perception of Korra being overpowered which is frankly weird considering that Aang was even more so in the original.
The aversion to say characters that are clearly shown dying are dead is even worse than in Avatar, even by kids cartoons standards it's a bit too much in this.
And the Korrasami thing is subtle to the point that even after years or reading articles and watching youtube essays about queer coding you can't really tell it's there unless you are a dedicated shipper that looks for ship teasing in things, it doesn't help that in the last season they share much less screen time together than in the third which at least had some bonding scenes here and there.

I did expect much worse as series quality overall, it's fine overall but the lack of direction is felt a bit too much.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The Legend of Korra
You can clearly tell that this wasn't planned at all
[...]
 the lack of direction is felt a bit too much.

But doesn't it fit with the idea of teenage leads and a world that doesn't really need an Avatar at times?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

The aversion to say characters that are clearly shown dying are dead is even worse than in Avatar, even by kids cartoons standards it's a bit too much in this.
Yeah, this has left me scratching my head a few times, the death are even more blatant than back in avatar, but nope, saying the words "dead", "killed", etc. ist verbotten.

And the Korrasami thing is subtle [...]
That's a fairly common sentiment, although I've always been surprised at how widespread it is. Back in the day, I knew even less about LGBT & queer stuff than I do now, I'd always stayed away from the shipping mentality, and I yet I picked up on it pretty much straight away. Heck I even found it a bit heavy handed due to how blatant it was in the final season.

In any case, yeah Nick saying "you've got 1 season, and only one !", then going "cool, what do you have planned for the next 3 seasons ?" harmed the series quite a bit. With that being said, I re-watched bits of it far more than I ever did A:TLA, and I get the impression that it's emboldened a whole new generation of cartoons to be more daring.