Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305160 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Next on the docket is Yu Yu Hakusho. Huge fan of Togashi's other work Hunter X Hunter so I suspect I will also enjoy this.

omg that's exactly what i'm going to watch next ;).

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Gurren Lagann fans should also check out Kill la Kill. It's more of Imaishi and his crew doing their usually bat**** crazy thing.

Offline Luis Dias

watching star trek.... the animated series!

better than I thought, quite actually. But mostly more worthy to basically "listen" to it almost like audiobooks.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
The first episode with the billion year old ship was quite fun lol.

I've watched the first half dozen or so Full Metal alchemist  episodes.

So far so Trigun.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Got to see Alita last weekend. It's a lot of fun, and easily the most "anime" feeling live-action adaptation I've come across. Definitely give it a shot if it's still in theaters near you.

Offline Luis Dias

ST: The animated series is fascinating. There's a lot in there that you can tell has been rehatched and repackaged into other stories. From One of our planets is missing you can clearly guess where TMP came from. From Beyond the Farthest Star and The Magicks of Megas Tu Star Trek V was born, although the latter is far more prominently the obvious source for TNG's Encounter at Farpoint. The Survivor on the other hand, may have well provided DS9 with the idea for the concept of Changelings by a very similar species (Vandorians).

More to follow.

The Star Trek franchise is well known for recycling its own scripts.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

- Knights of Sidonia : A space-mecha about a generation ship & lovecraftian-ish aliens (+ fanservice since this is anime and that's the law). I thought the first season was really good, then the second kinda dropped the aliens in favor of a harem-style plot (in addition to the fanservice already present), which I already get enough of from elsewhere so I put the series on ice for the time being.
Still, I kinda liked it, despite being somewhat predictable it's got some good ideas & decent animation - would recommend though one should be aware that seasons 1 & 2 have some noticeable difference in the kind of story they want to tell.

- Dragon Prince : A fairly standard friendly fantasy tale, short (12 episodes for the first season) but quite enjoyable, with a good balance between drama, action & humor. The animation is rather janky at times (I blame bad CGI), but the drawing itself is rather clean - would recommend.
Funny story : I watched both it & Sidonia at around the same time, found both rather predictable with some questionable CG animation, but enjoyed both nonetheless :)

- Miraculous Ladybug : Probably the oddest choice I made over the past couple month, it's a full CGI Franco-Japano-Korean magical-girl-ish show set in Paris. The poster caught my eye ever since I arrived on Netflix early this year, though I'd always been wary of it being to kid-oriented for my tastes (which it admittedly it kind of is). I decided to give it a shot after finishing Dragon Prince & putting Sidonia on hold, and to watch it in French, which kind of freaked me out a bit since I've been staying the hell away from French dubs & translations as much as I could for the past 8 years or so.
Well, it's definitely an odd show, very anime-inspired while being very western at the same time. Plot-wise it's fairly unremarkable and formulaic, however the characters themselves are pretty fun overall, the comedy works, the action is solid, the animation is gorgeous - though Paris is entirely too empty) and it makes copious use of stock shots for the transformation sequences & special abilities.
Overall, a pretty fun ride - would recommend (too bad season 2 isn't available for on Netflix for some reason).

- Wakfu : That one's been a looong time coming, it was recommended to me by some of my high-school-era friends back when it first came out, but I never got around to giving it a shot (I was too busy playing Freespace & DotA back then). It's a wacky fantasy tale with elements inspired from classic RPG games - as was popular in France at the time. Turns out it's a surpringly solid show : It's gorgeous, it's funny (though I don't know how much gets lost in translation), the character stuff works so far, the action works, it's got some non-intrusive nods to RPGs (computer or otherwise).
Very good so far - strongly recommended.

Funny story: I watched and liked all of these on my own, before coming back here to see if anyone watched Wakfu (link is Netflix).

I watched a few episodes of Wakfu, and it is VERY pretty. But something about the writing bounced me off of it, I can't explain what though.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I watched a few episodes of Wakfu, and it is VERY pretty. But something about the writing bounced me off of it, I can't explain what though.

Yeah, same, I took a break after a few episodes and finished some other series.  But then I came back and by the end of Season 1 I was all good.  I'd say try to finish Season 1 and if you haven't gotten over that... whatever it is in the writing, you probably won't.

I do find that the baddies (which you learn more about as the stories progress) aren't as 2-D as they might seem at first and actually have reasoning behind their madness.

OH, and I forgot.  There's back story and extras to be had on Steam, if you finish Wakfu and don't mind paying more, there's like 5 extras for about $4 a piece.  2 are in a different art style than the main series, but from the reviews, all of them stay true to the characters.   I've enjoyed the 2 I've watched so far (taking a break to re-watch the main seasons again).

If you can side-line that oddball feeling you get at first, I do think you'll enjoy the character development and be able to forgive any shortcomings the show has.  YMMV, of course.

EDIT: for those that enjoyed it (or like the intro regardless of the rest):
Hidden Text: Show

French original with English translation subs, unfortunately has background movie sound, but not too bad (extended, sounds different enough to give a listen IMHO)

French version without the slight background distraction and no subs, best for audio quality if you don't care about or already know the meaning:

French version Nightcore, actually sounds rather nice:

English (short, only 1 min, audio quality suffers, if anyone knows where to get an extended version or even a better encoding of this version, let me know):

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:34:45 am by jr2 »

So I ended up putting off watching Yu Yu Hakusho, electing to wait until I was under a little less pressure this summer.
So instead I watched Konosuba.
My review:
Spoiler:
Lalatina

stupid fun/10

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
One Punch Man is back on again so I've been watching that. Although I have acquired a habit of pausing immediately after the theme tune so I can play the much better series 1 theme. Really not a fan of the new tune.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Season 2 intro is bloody awful as a whole.   That top B class bird, Blizzard something or other is super hawt though.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah. It lacks a lot compared to the S1 intro. The show itself has been pretty good so far though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I haven't watched season 2 yet but I'm severely concerned by JC Staff taking things over from Shingo Natsume and his madcap crew of freelance animators. Season 1 was an absolute visual orgy. Its finale was the single-best piece of television animation I've ever seen.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Ingress: the Animation on Netflix.

Plot:
Hidden Text: Show
The story follows special police investigator Makoto, who has the power to read the memories of objects he touches. While investigating a laboratory explosion that was researching an unknown substance called "Exotic Matter" (XM), he touches the ring of a woman who was the sole survivor of the explosion and sees a horrifying vision that embroils him in a massive conspiracy.

Based on the mobile augmented reality game Ingress by Niantic, Inc:

Ingress Prime on the Apple App Store.

Ingress Prime on the Google Play Store.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I watched the opening shot on day of release and it feels largely OTT once you've played the game.  I played resistance for a fair few years as the local spots lined up nicely with rest points on my running route.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I watched the opening shot on day of release and it feels largely OTT once you've played the game.  I played resistance for a fair few years as the local spots lined up nicely with rest points on my running route.

Well, to be successful as a movie adaptation, it would have to be over the top a bit.  Not sure if
Spoiler:
Dark XM
and the Collaborators is in the actual game now, or if it was brought in just to give the Resistance and Enlightenment an actual global threat to justify the movie.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Anime/Ingress

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Game of Thrones season 8,

or,

How to destroy 7.5 seasons of goodwill and character development in 2-3 episodes.

The writing on the show hasn't been very good since they ran out of book material, but when one arc or thread suffered, there were a few others that were still good to keep things feeling satisfying. Now they have one arc, and all of the problems the show's had are coming home to roost. I expected the finale to be flawed. I didn't expect it to be this awful.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Saw captain marvellous recently.

I'd like her and black widow to be the bread in a dekker sandwich.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.