Author Topic: Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.  (Read 6912 times)

Offline -Sara-

Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.
It seems Microsoft, after the kinect, now has patented a concept which involves a 360 degrees projection in ones living room, somewhat similar to an actual holodeck from Star Trek. It is supposed to project images all over the room, wich morph according to your furniture and obstacles in the room to compensate and look as lifelike as possible. Awesome or over the top? Workable or a stupid wild idea? Fit for at-home console gaming, or only for special places? It is still an interesting idea.

Quote from: http://arstechnica.com - gaming
... Microsoft's patent application for an "immersive display experience" was published by the US Patent Office last week after being filed back in early 2011. It describes a standard video game system with a connected "environmental display" capable of projecting a panoramic image that "appears to surround the user."

Such a projector wouldn't replace the central TV display used in current consoles, but it would provide a "peripheral image" that would "serve as an extension" of that primary display. The purpose, of course, is to extend the gaming environment outside of the TV screen, so a player could, for instance, "turn around and observe an enemy sneaking up from behind."

The display device as described is integrated tightly with a depth-sensing camera system (read: Kinect) that could even be housed in the same casing as the environmental projector, according to the application. This device could be a standard two-camera, structured-light-sensing system like the current Kinect, or a more sophisticated model that could include "multiple image capture devices" to "stitch a panoramic image from a plurality of captured images" pointed in all directions around the room.

Regardless of the form, the depth-sensing camera described in the patent application aids the environmental projector by sensing the layout and topography of the room. This allows the projector to provide color and distortion correction, so the projected images look correct even when cast against different walls and pieces of furniture ...

Read more.

Better not knock that china vase off the table while swinging your virtual lightsaber through the living room. Interesting concept though, albeit a bit of a wild dream perhaps. It strikes me a bit like a concept car, you keep the nice bits of the prototype, but it might not become a final product by itself. Though maybe it is suited for 'gaming halls', sort of reviving the passed-away hype that was arcade-halls and laser-gaming. These sort of changes sure do re-define what sets console gaming apart from PC gaming.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:06:50 am by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.
Yet-Another-Useless-Gadget, much like Kinect was to begin with. 'Nuff said.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.

The robotics hobbyists would like a word with you.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Luis Dias

It ain't even that. This is just a patent that will never see the light of day. Microsoft's ability to bring their concepts to market is amazingly terrible. The Kinect was an amazing exception.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Like the Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii and Microsoft Kinect, this idea has a great deal of potential, but sadly most of that potential will be squandered on worthless gimmicks rather then anything that would actually add to gameplay experience.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

To tell him what? That he is right? That the kinetic is a useless gadget that has added nothing of value to gaming?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam

To tell him what? That he is right? That the kinetic is a useless gadget that has added nothing of value to gaming?

Useless to gaming? No, not really. Game developers haven't figured out how to use it properly.

Useless to robotics? Hell no. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWmVrfjDCyw
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Just what i need, a giant silhouette of me blocking my view when i play............
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
do not want.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Useless to gaming? No, not really. Game developers haven't figured out how to use it properly.
Probably because they aren't interested, see no future in it, and see no potential market interested in it.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Oh that must be it then, after all this time its just that all the game developers are retarded and not that the kinetic is a useless gadget.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Yeah, stupid private companies spending money for R&D of things the general public sees no practical use for.  :rolleyes:

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Oh that must be it then, after all this time its just that all the game developers are retarded and not that the kinetic is a useless gadget.

Or rather, they just don't know what to do with it. IIRC, the laser was a useless gadget when it was first discovered, as was a couple of other gadgets that are now commonplace.
chief1983

------------

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Unless I can do this, I don't want to know.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
So, because a commoner with no creative vision whatsoever can't see the use of X, we should not research it?

Please see why we should disband useless wastes of money such as cancer research and NASA.

Edit: yes the second article is a jurassic aged, but you get my point.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:45:47 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Who is this 'commoner' with no creative vision you speak of?

Now for all you going "HURK DURK DURP YOU ARE SO DUMB AND STUPID, CAN YOU NOT SEE THE APPLICATIONS FOR THIS DEVICE OUTSIDE OF GAMING!?"
Stop it and at least pretent to read the posts you are replying to.

Kinetic is a useless and ****ty gadget when it comes to gaming. Fullstopperiod.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/kinect-disconnect

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The kinetic is about as useless for mainstream gaming as the joystick is right now.

The lack of widespread adoption of both devices dictates that developers waste their time doing things that the majority of gamers will actually use. If on the other hand the kinetic had been bundled with every XBox...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
SPOON: I was talking about the HOLOGRAM research, just because (like NATAL, how many remember that name?) it can't be used for the ****ty mainstream games of now days, it does NOT mean they can't be used for anything else!

Hell, it might not even be useful for a gamer but perhaps for a next generation communications platform or something, think openly, it's not only about gaming! (which if it continues to decline like it has I might forsake all together.)

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Who is this 'commoner' with no creative vision you speak of?

Now for all you going "HURK DURK DURP YOU ARE SO DUMB AND STUPID, CAN YOU NOT SEE THE APPLICATIONS FOR THIS DEVICE OUTSIDE OF GAMING!?"
Stop it and at least pretent to read the posts you are replying to.

Kinetic is a useless and ****ty gadget when it comes to gaming. Fullstopperiod.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/kinect-disconnect

No one here is obligated to judge an item's value the same way you do, even if it's you they're talking to.

Edit: you know what, before spoon gets here again I will satiate him and say that I agree with him 100%, the kinect is a poor game controller, and it is likely that this will not work well in that fashion either. But I stand by everything else I said as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 03:05:00 pm by Polpolion »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Kinect, open thread

Kinect, reply to post

Kinect -

seriously come on

KINECT OPEN FRUIT NINJAS