Author Topic: Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.  (Read 6916 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.
Hooray, I r a winner.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Microsoft may want to make Holodeck(esque) game environment to follow up kinect.
(You forgot the hashtag #winning)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm too unsocial for social media!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Luis Dias

So you'd rather socialize in a forum? Eh!

Offline -Sara-

So, on topic, wouldn't a projector of that size and capability use an insane wattage?
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So you'd rather socialize in a forum? Eh!
  :nervous:
You kinda got me there.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Luis Dias

#winning

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
 :p
Urutorahappī!!

I'm wondering what possible benefits this could have over a VR system like Oculus Rift. Maybe for multiple people it'd be useful, but only if it looked really good and nobody's shadow got in the way. Basically if it were a full holodeck (visual) experience it could beat a VR headset, in my mind.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm strongly doubting the ability to properly account for the room furniture.  That goes double if you have something like a dark brown suede couch...how the hell is a projector supposed to show up well on that?

Offline -Sara-

But hey, it's still Microsoft.. just imagine. BLUE errmm.. ROOM OF DOOM?

Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've seen BSODs in Times Square, but that would be a whole new level. :D

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I was reading the following article and the comment quoted below made me think about the role of these types of interfaces in future titles.

Quoted from KevinM1
The elephant in the room is the ever increasing emphasis on motion controls and gesture controls. As a physically disabled gamer myself, this shift into a more 'natural' interface (natural for whom?) worries me. Gaming is one of the few activities I can engage in where I'm more or less on par with other people. Yet, all I see is an effort to leave people like me behind as technology progresses.

It's maddening, as despite the tech itself being used for adaptive uses - the Kinect is being used for some truly inspiring things - it will likely never be used in that way for games due to essentially no ROI for the developers.

It's something I've never thought of, that the trend towards natural interfaces while enabling a portion of the population, is also disenfranchising another.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mikes

Augmented reality will be a uh ... reality (lol) way faster than neural interface will be (if those will ever be ;) ).

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Augmented reality is just a vague term...

I could say my corrective glasses are an augmented reality device.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

When AR is finally working, I anticipate the entire Internet saying, "My reality is augmented." :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

When AR is finally working, I anticipate the entire Internet saying, "My reality is augmented." :P
You, sir, win an internet :)

Offline Mikes

Augmented reality is just a vague term...

I could say my corrective glasses are an augmented reality device.

It is a vague term... but in essence it's no more no less than having a virtual overlay over the real world. Some phones with Cameras can already do that - to some extent - as a feature in some navigation and similar apps.

There are also already some location based games that use real map data and GPS to make you, for example, run away from virtual zombies in the real world... zombies which right now, you can only see by looking at your phone ;)

If those Google glasses are a hit it may be another exploding market spawning all kinds of gadgets and games.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:55:27 pm by Mikes »

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
I was reading the following article and the comment quoted below made me think about the role of these types of interfaces in future titles.

Quoted from KevinM1
The elephant in the room is the ever increasing emphasis on motion controls and gesture controls. As a physically disabled gamer myself, this shift into a more 'natural' interface (natural for whom?) worries me. Gaming is one of the few activities I can engage in where I'm more or less on par with other people. Yet, all I see is an effort to leave people like me behind as technology progresses.

It's maddening, as despite the tech itself being used for adaptive uses - the Kinect is being used for some truly inspiring things - it will likely never be used in that way for games due to essentially no ROI for the developers.

It's something I've never thought of, that the trend towards natural interfaces while enabling a portion of the population, is also disenfranchising another.

I think this can go both ways. My dad is disabled, stroke, paraylized on the right side. He can't use traditional controls, but can use more "natural controls" such as the wii controllers. don't have a kinect, but I think that would work for him as well. So I think this depends on both the individual's situation. would it be possible for a third party to make a sort of  software/hardware "plugin" that would make it easier for disabled people to play?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:41:20 pm by Beskargam »