Author Topic: HLPX-COM 3: A Very Firaxis Sequel  (Read 29539 times)

Offline crizza

Re: HLPX-COM 3: A Very Firaxis Sequel
Voice out of the grave:
"We have hunting seasons in Germany."
Great...all return alive.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Well I'm glad someone is getting assaults. I swear I've got like six or seven snipers out of twelve on my roster. :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
First sortie, first kill of the war.  Back in business, baby.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
--Rodd's personal Log--

Entry 16:
Date 01-04-15 11:32:40

First mission out with the squad, boy that was intense!
These guys are real badasses, I watched amazed as Talon rushed to taze one of those sectoids.. only to be surprised even further by the bold stunt Polpolion pulled out of his ass! He literally buried his shotgun's barrel on the forehead of a frikkin' sectoid.
I mean, these guys are like... NUTS!
Baumgartner?, who's that guy???

Anyways... seems like I'll have to get some more training... a lot more, to get in level with them.

On the positive side, I killed one of those floating bastards.
He tried to blast me to hell a few times...

I'm starting to think that maybe...
never mind.
-Log End-
el hombre vicio...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
One thing I've noticed, at least on Classic, seems like the non sectoid aliens with full HP seem resistant to the arc caster.  I think you need to take a piece out of an alien before you can taser it successfully. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
One thing I've noticed, at least on Classic, seems like the non sectoid aliens with full HP seem resistant to the arc caster.  I think you need to take a piece out of an alien before you can taser it successfully.

afaik the target needs to be below 50% hp for them to be reliably effective

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's actually worse. The standard taser only works reliably on targets with 3 health or less. The advanced one raises that to 6.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The A-team need to take a break.
Next mission, send a team of all rookies. It will be a wonderfull meat grinder.

B.t.w. - anyone make Sgt? The squad size increase is one of the first things I get. Extra firepower!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well I'm glad someone is getting assaults. I swear I've got like six or seven snipers out of twelve on my roster. :p

Considering I won the game on the skills of my Snipers, Fox and Checkmate, I'm not sure I see your problem. Seriously though, they can reach further and handle more than pretty much anyone else. Four ten HP hits with high crit chance per turn was a thing of beauty. If I had another Sniper of the quality they were I'd probably have used them.

It's actually worse. The standard taser only works reliably on targets with 3 health or less. The advanced one raises that to 6.

I almost never tried to use it on someone with more than three health. Some aliens seem to have better innate resistance, regardless; Mutons and up require the upgraded taser for real effectiveness at even 3.

B.t.w. - anyone make Sgt? The squad size increase is one of the first things I get. Extra firepower!

I actually just bought that.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
You probably should bring along a few more rookies on easier missions because the vets will get wounded and the last thing you want is a full team of rooks

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So we interrogated the Sectoid.

The bald report omits several things. We would never have been permitted to use this process or many of these techniques on a human, regardless of the stakes. Most of the techniques used were immensely painful to the Sectoid. At least two of our soldiers who were present for part of the interrogation have expressed concern about the method and manner of it.

The probes caused permanent brain damage starting during the third hour, and ultimately the Sectoid entered a coma by hour six. There is no reason to suspect it will recover and it has been given over to the Special Weapons Group for biochem weapons testing.

Capturing the Sectoid also meant that its weapon did not self-destruct. As we suspected from wounds to our soldiers and damage to the environment, they are plasma-based. We haven't conducted full research on the subject, however, though there is news on that front.

The X-9 battle rifle has been the standard weapon of X-COM since the agency was first skeletonally set up in the 1990s. Designed by Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal, it has a number of features that are not present in other weapons. The cartridge is significantly heavier, a special 9mm rifle round, and the selector offers single shot and five-round-burst options rather than the common single and three-round. We had no idea what we'd fight ultimately, so massive overkill for humans was considered necessary. As a result the weapon has significant overpenetration issues against human or humanlike targets, punching small neat holes through them without doing much damage, which is why some aliens manage to stay up after a hit.

We have a solution.

The X-L1 Rifle. Using what we learned from examining the miniaturized power sources for the implants in the Sectoid, and the heat dump systems from their plasma pistol, we've managed to develop a workable, non-chemical laser weapon and the means to reload it in the field. It's expensive, each individual weapon costs over thirty thousand dollars US, but it is currently the best rifle deployed on Earth, even slightly outperforming known alien weapons.

As we are responding to alien abduction being reported in Manchester in the UK, the two prototypes have been issued to Esarai and rookie LHN91. Also attending are Polpolion, Talon 1024, and Rodo. (I switched it around so everyone's names would be visible in screens like this if they had a 1-part name.)

Look children! Targets for Esarai to test his new laser rifle on. Then he misses, disappointing me greatly.

Rodo clears up a minor cover-related issue with a grenade. Sadly our standard frags aren't actually powerful enough to kill Floaters. Their mechanical bits provide just enough protection to their vital organs for fragmentation weapons to lose a lot of their value.

Talon, being Talon, turns their flank and kills one.

Polpolion gets the other. Nothing to see here folks, just the HLPX-COM Assaults cleaning house again.

Well, the laser rifle made a hell of a mess of that door anyways.

And nobody can use it now because it's on fire. This causes some Sectoids to come check it out and then immediately run for cover when they realize that HLPX-COM is here to **** them up. Esarai fires, but misses again, and says something about still trying to compensate for recoil his weapon doesn't have.

Moving up, he finds the Sectoids, who blow their reaction shot at him.

And he also found some Thin Men who are pretty awkwardly placed and could flank without much effort, so he pulls back again...and gets shot by another Sectoid which apparently didn't spend its reaction fire. The injuries aren't too serious. (But since he followed the same path it doesn't really make sense there was unspent reaction fire.)

Polpolion tosses a grenade, clearing cover and hurting a couple of the Thin Men. Rodo follows up by bringing one of the injured ones down.

LHN91 moves up and puts Esarai to shame by scoring a solid laser hit, which kills one Sectoid directly and one from psychic backlash.

The aliens retaliate. Rodo is hurt by one of the Thin Men spitting some kind of poison, while another tries and fails to hit Talon at a range of about two meters.

Polpolion does some more of that turning the flank thing that Talon made a name doing. Say goodnight, Thinnie.

LHN91 moves up and the last Sectoid blows its reaction shot high and to the right. Then comes the laser back along the shot trajectory, and it's all over for this particular Grey.

Talon stuns the Thin Men that's still alive and was injured in the grenade blast.

A couple of Floaters turn up. LHN91 misses his first laser shot of the mission, but severely ****s up a building with it. Talon and Polpolion combine fire to kill the Floater that didn't retreat out of sight. (Note that I added a screenshot of Polpolion knocking out the window with a shotgun butt; your troopers do this for windows and doors when they're standing next to them and going to shoot through them.)

Then the one that retreated hops forward and blows away LHN91 with a single shot. Son of a *****! I thought we had this mission in the bag and then some alien cock jockey ruins everything.

Esarai rushes forward and fires, finally connecting. The Floater goes down dead with half its head gone.

The mission to Manchester must be considered a success, despite the loss of LHN91 on his rookie mission. He showed great promise, and was instrumental in the proving of the X-L1 Rifle, making making his loss triply painful.

Others have survived similar hits without being nearly so injured. (It was a straight 6-damage no-crit on a weapon that usually does 3 or 4 damage despite its theory cap of 6.) As near as we can tell, LHN's armor was defective. z64555 has sacked the responsible technicians and testing of the existing armor stocks is underway. This won't happen again.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:27:12 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Another tragic loss for the HLP X-Com :(

Victoy is won, but it has been paid for in blood. Farewell LHN91, we salute you.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I really wish y'all'd  come back in one piece... the deck on my bird is getting messy and smells.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Always the rookies
It seems if they make it past their first mission, they last a great deal of time

Shame. It was going so well

Rk. LHN91

Techs gone ****ed up, and cost him his life
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I can't recall ATM, but if a soldier dies, his equipment is gone, right?

EDIT:
Hey, if you put in me the team, I request a man avatar. Cause I am a MAN. *punch*

Also, put a helemet on me . The 3rd, stormtrooper-like one. It's too dangerous out there to be running around without a helmet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:14:48 am by TrashMan »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Personal Log: Lt. Esarai
Date: April... something
Well the techs have done well, that X-L1 is a beast.  Did everything the training videos and documentation said it would, and then some.  Sure yeah we get to vaporize Sectoids like they vaporize us, but the real fun starts when this thing starts lighting **** on fire.  I just wish I hadn't accidentally switched rifles with LHN... I couldn't hit jack without a properly zeroed sight and he might still be here.  They're telling me it was a defect in his armor that cost his life.  I just... don't know, man.

These newbies have it rough, our sorties chew through them like potato chips.  Should ask the commander if there's anything we can do to increase squad survivability.  Also, should talk to commander about sunscreen for X-L users.  I've got a pink rectangle on my face.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:00:16 am by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
--Rodd's personal Log--

Entry 17:
Date 01-04-?? ??:??:??

Another day, another corpse, this time LHN91.

I didn't knew the guy that much, but he seemed ok.
He was all pumped up with his experimental laser, well to be fair I would be myself... after watching that display of firepower.
His demise was a weird combination of unlucky events that chained together, like for example equipping a defective armor with some kind of crack or something like that (as the techs said) and then getting shot right on that spot!
I don't know... the regular team seems to be discussing about changing the team nickname to 'rookiegrinder' or something like that.
I wonder how will I go.

Yes, I no longer hope for survivability, I know I'm as good as dead.

Might as well kill some alien scum in the process.

Speaking of which, +1 to the count. (I've been scratching the wall right to the side of my bunkerbunk so I can keep track of my kills)

That's 2 aliens for me so far, need to get to 20 to consider myself satisfied.

RIP LHN91, farewell fella.
That's all.

-LogEnd-

Edit: lol
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 02:09:22 pm by Rodo »
el hombre vicio...

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
[Personnel Log: "z64555" (Head of Tech)]

Damn it, I told those dumbasses that our boys and girls needed the best the Earth has to offer...

With the death of our 3rd soldier in the field, I personally examined the armor to see just what the hell was going on. I've read a memo back when we first got the armor that there was a 5% chance of the armor failing due to high temperatures. It seems that is in fact closer to 40%, because when I took samples of each armor near the impacts, I found that they had lost its hardness by well over 70% and didn't disperse the heat as it was spec'd to do.

In short, the armor didn't melt, it vaporized, instantly leaving all of the poor victim's vitals exposed to the heat and God knows what else is inside that "plasma" bolt.

I've since sacked the two techs responsible for the development and manufacturer of the armor, perhaps they'll do well in marketing as they have a talent for passing bull****. In the mean time, I've instructed the quarter master to send the armor we have to the labs to double check their integrity, and the labs to reject the armor if any defect is found. Our soldiers need the best gear, not the second best!

<ding>it's about time... <grumble>
[end log]

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes, I no longer hope for survivability, I know I'm as good as dead.

Offline Patriot

Oh in case im close to getting a sortie in, i would like to change my class to Support, because i don't like shotguns in this game :)