Author Topic: [Spoilers] Blood & Chrome - The Discussion Thread  (Read 75979 times)

Offline newman

Re: [Spoilers] Blood & Chrome - The Discussion Thread
besides, if you look previous shows, the 'realistic' shows suffered in ratings as they went on (bsg, stargate universe).

Yes, but linking that to the art style is.. questionable at best. 99% of comments about BSG when people were complaining were in the direction of the story getting into too much mythical BS after season 3. The fact that BSG's art direction also started to suffer after S2 (after the switch to Zoic) doesn't exactly validate your theory either, since BSG's ratings started dropping when they started making departures from "realism" in later seasons (not that I think this had a significant impact on the ratings - like I said, most people complained about the story, not the visuals).

Or in short, because a show with a realistic looking art style starts getting bad ratings, it doesn't necessarily follow that the art style is to blame. Especially if it had a realistic art style from the start and the ratings were fine.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:05:38 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Almost every serialized show loses ratings as it goes.

So far i like BaC. Even though i have to admit it wouldn't mind it could have more character development and less action scenes. But considering it's 10 short webisodes and not 3 hour long pilot, i think it's forgivable. I can imagine more of it in case it would become long running serie.

Story so far average and i think it would be great having 3 hours to develop a not being cut into 10 parts. Now it seems to me terribly rushed. What i can't stand is Doctor OneFacialExpression. Lense flare is little bit annonying and the scene after crashing raptor on planet looked terribly unrealistic, otherwise CGI is really good, at least for webseries.

Offline newman

The CGI isn't really good, and this wasn't filmed as a web series, it was cut up into one after it was made.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

well i have heard otherwise, that initialy it should have been webseries, but than SyFy considered making it pilot for new show, but that didn't happend. But maybe i am wrong. But i stand by my opinion that the CGI (minus lense flare) i good.

Offline Luis Dias

Almost every serialized show loses ratings as it goes.

Except when it's a show about nothing.

I did feel there was a very obvious cut after "you're going to regret this" which left things a little too lightly implied, that's probably my only gripe.

After the shower scene in part 2, I was like, "That's going to be the unrated part on the DVD." After part 7, I went, "No, that's the unrated part." I saw "The Plan" and listened to the commentary for "Razor," I know how these people think.

I'm looking forward to seeing where the additional scenes go. Awkward pacing aside, there haven't been a lot of obvious holes for additional material. The only other one I can think of is Adama mentioning they blew up two Cylon SAM sites on their way to the fleet in addition to the three raiders at the wreck of the Archeron, and I'd really prefer it if the long version is filled out with more character stuff and less pew-pew action and macho posturing.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
And here are the final episodes: http://youtu.be/mH8EDRptVAQ

Well, that tied together fairly well, if a little on-the-nose in the end. It was nice seeing what's behind one of those windows in the jaw. The closing narration had the same uneven quality as the opening, but there was too much live-action in it for me to assume it was totally put together at the last minute like I did before.

Their reach exceeded their grasp with the cylon at the end (which I don't really see the point of, being Another Thing That Already Happened In Razor In A Way That Made More Sense), and I might've winced visibly at the entirely different war-era Galactica revamp. And I have no idea how the hangar deck and launch tubes are supposed to work now.

Offline Luis Dias

The CGI work is a mess. It looks all crap. Frakkin amateurs can do a better job.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Second that. The script too. That was cringe-inducingly bad, especially the final Adama monologue and VFX sequence. Awful television on every level.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

The CGI work is a mess. It looks all crap. Frakkin amateurs can do a better job.

Speaking as a professional... go ahead. Thrill me.

Second that. The script too. That was cringe-inducingly bad, especially the final Adama monologue and VFX sequence. Awful television on every level.

You need to watch more TV if you seriously think this is awful on every level. Reality shows with poor people being tricked into being on TV to be made fun of are awful. Comedies that consist entirely of straight recreations of things from the 18-36 male demo's childhood are awful. Daniel Tosh is awful.

I have the same issue with the technical criticism. I've seen productions where the casting was so bad you wouldn't have been able to recognize which one was Coker and which was the Commander in the last scene. Where the mise-en-scène fails so completely that it's impossible to tell that the characters are supposed to be talking to each other, or are even in the same room. Where the dialogue and acting are both so atrocious that it makes you wonder if either the writer or the actor even spoke english.

You watch this actual, continuous scene from a 1980s direct-to-video action movie that real human beings made and thought was worth releasing to the public and then tell me with a straight face that Blood and Chrome is "awful on every level."

It's mediocre, at worst. It's okay to damn it with faint praise, even to rip every sub-par element to shreds, but you don't need to go all-out that Blood and Chrome was worse than cancer, and raped your childhood, and all that nonsense. It just wasn't that great. Too bad. Better luck next time. Maybe you'll like the Bryan Singer movie.

Offline newman

Bloody hell that "I, Robot" with a Tricia Helfer voice Cylon at the end was horrible. And just in case there was any doubt that this is about as deep as a particularly shallow ashtray, the line in the end: "just because you're more enlightened than the rest of your species, do you think we hate you any less?"

Why introduce any interesting concepts about the Cylons, when they can be evil robots that need to be killed without remorse? The audiences are simple and wouldn't get a shades of gray war where no party is good or evil, after all. Makes one wonder how come the original BSG was a success, then..

Offline newman

I have the same issue with the technical criticism. I've seen productions where the casting was so bad you wouldn't have been able to recognize which one was Coker and which was the Commander in the last scene. Where the mise-en-scène fails so completely that it's impossible to tell that the characters are supposed to be talking to each other, or are even in the same room. Where the dialogue and acting are both so atrocious that it makes you wonder if either the writer or the actor even spoke english.

You watch this actual, continuous scene from a 1980s direct-to-video action movie that real human beings made and thought was worth releasing to the public and then tell me with a straight face that Blood and Chrome is "awful on every level."

"Awful" is a relative term. Something can only be awful in reference to something else, and I for one see no reason to compare it to even worse stuff from the 1980's, taking it out of context in relation to the time period it was made in, or comparing it with the worst of the modern days (reality shows), when you can compare it to contemporary stuff of the same category; the most logical one to compare it with would be the 2004-2009 BSG re-imagined series. And compared to that, it is awful on every level. The fact that there were and are much, much worse things made for TV doesn't excuse it from being awful sci fi in general, or awful BSG spinoff in particular.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 02:52:39 pm by newman »

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Now that I've watched it all, I can honestly say that was... pretty underwhelming, and I watch of a lot mediocre stuff.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well SAAB set in BSG it wasn't, but you can't always get what you want.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 03:04:20 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

they add more turrets to galactica during the mission :S wtf

i agree with slayers pic. that's whats pretty much happening to the ship

Bloody hell that "I, Robot" with a Tricia Helfer voice Cylon at the end was horrible. And just in case there was any doubt that this is about as deep as a particularly shallow ashtray, the line in the end: "just because you're more enlightened than the rest of your species, do you think we hate you any less?"

Why introduce any interesting concepts about the Cylons, when they can be evil robots that need to be killed without remorse? The audiences are simple and wouldn't get a shades of gray war where no party is good or evil, after all. Makes one wonder how come the original BSG was a success, then..

That was really weird. It was like it was written by someone who'd only seen the Miniseries. It fits a lot better with the baby neck-snapping, "You repaid God's love with sin and depravity and deserve to die to the last child" Cylons of the pilot than it does with the Cylons after... which episode was it with the Six saying the bombed-out city made her sad? It was an early one. On the other hand, it's not like Cylon-on-Human racism ever went away entirely, there was that deleted scene of Adama and Tigh talking about how brutal the Cylons were in hand-to-hand combat.
Tigh: I'd never seen a dead person before. First one was Duncan Raverti. Deckhand Dunc. I found him in the corridor. His ribs were split open like a pig. His guts were strewn around him on the floor. You know, at first...at first I couldn't figure out why the Cylons would bother doing something like that.
Adama: Spread fear. Panic.
Tigh: No. You had to look into that red eye slit. They hated us. They hated us so much, it wasn't enough to just kill us. You know that Centurions have a stink? It's like machine oil. To this day, I get a whiff of grease or oil... I almost lose my lunch.

Now that's an evil robot that needs killing!

I don't know. It's still a weird scene. I wouldn't have done it like that. They should do more stuff with Centurions. I saw Wall-E, I know you can make machines emote. And if you want more subtlety... well, I thought they were going somewhere in Caprica that would've allowed Centurions to be portrayed by human actors under certain circumstances, but who knows.

"Awful" is a relative term. Something can only be awful in reference to something else, and I for one see no reason to compare it to even worse stuff from the 1980's, taking it out of context in relation to the time period it was made in, or comparing it with the worst of the modern days (reality shows), when you can compare it to contemporary stuff of the same category; the most logical one to compare it with would be the 2004-2009 BSG re-imagined series.

I don't see how "awful on every level" means "awful on an extremely specific subset of levels." If you want to say it's the worst thing nuBSG every produced, that's supportable (though, seriously. "Black Market." How many times did we need to see Lee's never-before-seen, never-again-mentioned girlfriend running off in tears? Or the soap-opera twists of "The Passage"? Or the conveniently resolved murder mystery of "The Woman King"? The original outline for season 4.5? And I'm sure a lot of fair-to-middling episodes would lose some luster if they were watched in four ten-minute chunks). If you want to say the effects are worse than whichever SyFy original movie with monster VFX done in After Effects just came out, that's hyperbole. If you want to say it's the worst thing ever in the history of ever, an utter failure on every level, well, have a little perspective. At least admit the dialogue was recorded clearly (cough, cough, miniseries, cough. Such a shame that the worst sounding scene made it into the most pre-episode recaps).

It's not great, sure, but reading this topic, you'd think it was the lovechild of Terminator 3 and Plan 9 From Outer Space. And it puts me in the awkward position of sounding like a cheerleader for an episode that I'd give a C+, tops.

they add more turrets to galactica during the mission :S wtf

The strange part is that the extra turrets along the spine disappeared, leaving just the ones on the nose (and the new-new ones on the nose). It's like they had two different concepts for an up-armed Galactica and accidentally used both in different scenes.