Author Topic: If Doom Was Done Today...  (Read 6580 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: If Doom Was Done Today...
someone do one for freespace.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
someone do one for freespace.

Oh, that one is easy.

All you have to do is delete it from your hard drive, because it wouldn't even exist.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It'd have much less buttons to assign and flashier graphics (which we have anyway, thanks to FSO...), no modability and arcade-y flight model that doesn't even pretend to have anything to do with reality. Probably one, upgradeable ship with fixed weapons and an absurd number of missiles and unlimited gun ammo. Dinky capships with a gimmicky way of fighting them. 2D art would've been much cheaper and VA would've been amateur. All cutscenes done in-engine, and no mainhall (main menu used instead). It'd most likely be a low budget game, indie or otherwise. Oh, and it'd be completely obscure. Think Sol: Exodus or Project Freedom (aka. Starmageddon 2). You most likely didn't hear of the latter, and for a good reason. It's a medicore game from a Polish developer (IIRC).

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
and arcade-y flight model that doesn't even pretend to have anything to do with reality

* The E dies from laughter

On a more serious note: If FS were to be developed today, it would have streamlined controls (Seriously, does anyone actually use ALL of the various options available? I would bet noone does), and probably no Robert Loggia. Otherwise, most of it would be the same; but then I am someone who replaces the words "if it was made now" in this thread and the linked videos with "if it was made to appeal to today's mass audiences by the same developers doing today's AAA titles with a budget of a modern AAA title and all the corporate risk management structure attached to it", which while more accurate is also more unwieldy.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i use all the controls mapped to my hotas and not many others. frankly i cant even remember what all by hotas buttons do. i kinda know that one hat switch selects weapons and one distributes power. i remember all the keyboard commands i use. but if freespace2 was done today, it would be one of those games that supports an xbox 360 gamepad and no other input devices at all. all the gauges would be combined into a single everything gauge. all weapons would be on an aimbot. etc..
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

It'd have much less buttons to assign and flashier graphics (which we have anyway, thanks to FSO...), no modability and arcade-y flight model that doesn't even pretend to have anything to do with reality. Probably one, upgradeable ship with fixed weapons and an absurd number of missiles and unlimited gun ammo. Dinky capships with a gimmicky way of fighting them. 2D art would've been much cheaper and VA would've been amateur. All cutscenes done in-engine, and no mainhall (main menu used instead). It'd most likely be a low budget game, indie or otherwise. Oh, and it'd be completely obscure. Think Sol: Exodus or Project Freedom (aka. Starmageddon 2). You most likely didn't hear of the latter, and for a good reason. It's a medicore game from a Polish developer (IIRC).

Throw in changeable weapons, limited ammo for everything, in mission pre-rendered cutscenes and slightly more expensive VAs and you get Project Sylpheed!
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I love how that summary has roughly 80% similarity with the FreeSpace 2 game that we actually got.  Namely:

1) arcade-y flight model
2) unlimited gun ammo
3) gimmicky way of fighting capships (Avoid the beams, set them up the bomb)
4) the VA is about one step up from amateur.  If that.
5) The mainhall is just a pretty main menu.
6) It was a low budget game.

Of the things not covered in that, Blue Planet (and FSO) gave us:

1) cutscenes done in engine
2) main menu instead of mainhall
3) flashier graphics

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Project Sylpheed
NOOO! That game never happened, THAT GAME NEVER HAPPENED!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

wut.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

wut.

"Amateur" does not mean "bad".  If I recall correctly, GTVA Command's VA got picked up a few blocks from where they were recording because they liked the sound of his voice.  That is the very defintion of amateur.  Granted, there was also Robert Loggia and Ronnie Cox, but that's why I said a step above, instead of just plain amateur.

Random note: the Volition interview thread that I attempted to refresh my info on seems to have been fairly destroyed by something.  It ended three words into the first answer, and I'm not sure why.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah IDK what happened, I was so proud of it :(

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
At least it's still on the wiki.

Offline Aesaar

The nostalgia in that video is nauseating.  The original Doom is a complete and utter pile of **** by any modern standards.  It's only notable because there wasn't much like it when it was made.  I feel no hesitation in saying Halo 4 is better than the original Doom in every way. 

The only way Doom could be considered better is because of what it reminds people of.  Given the average age of gamers, that's typically their college years.  Big surprise.

Complaining about how modern games have no character is like complaining about how all Americans are stupid.  You're just looking at the ones that support your conclusions and omitting the ones that don't, all the while thinking doing it makes you cooler.

For the record, I've never been able to stomach the original Doom or its contemporary shooters for more than 5 minutes because of how incredibly bland and shallow they are.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:48:56 am by Aesaar »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
The nostalgia in that video is nauseating.  The original Doom is a complete and utter pile of **** by any modern standards.  It's only notable because there wasn't much like it when it was made.  I feel no hesitation in saying Halo 4 is better than the original Doom in every way. 

The only way Doom could be considered better is because of what it reminds people of.  Given the average age of gamers, that's typically their college years.  Big surprise.

Complaining about how modern games have no character is like complaining about how all Americans are stupid.  You're just looking at the ones that support your conclusions and omitting the ones that don't, all the while thinking doing it makes you cooler.

For the record, I've never been able to stomach the original Doom or its contemporary shooters for more than 5 minutes because of how incredibly bland it is.

"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Aesaar

Actually serious.

And do note you're talking to a guy who thinks that Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment are the best games ever made.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:57:54 am by Aesaar »

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
It's not trolling, just a fairly unpopular opinion. I agree in that a lot of the love for old games is suspiciously rose-colored. There are a lot of games that might have seemed awesome at the time, but only because we didn't know any better, and/or they brought something new to the mainstream. I never liked the Doom games, UT, or Counterstrike. Go back even farther and most of the games for the NES were smelly turds as well. I don't think that shovelware is any more or less prevalent now than it was back in that era. Our expectations are just higher.