Author Topic: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress, HLP!  (Read 27562 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
Never give up. Never surrender.

Trust your instincts!
"No"

I do think it would be awesome... hell, FUN to try to persist with our fallen fortress, but I have no preference.

Same goes for me.

Wow that was intense, it's hard to really tell what's going on, but dang... Too bad I couldn't have gone berserk in the vicinity of the monster instead, like some sort of copper-clad elephant of dooooom.

And I would have to agree with Trashman, for what it's worth. I didn't really pay any attention to the screenshots, aside from the text at the bottom of the screens. One of those texture packs might make stuff easier to follow.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Whatever happens, I'd like my same job plox.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Patriot

Continue, but migrate to a new place with a little less Evil monsters to rape us.

Also, Smith again :3

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Let's start over and build a new fortress, with blackjack, and... hookers! ;)
Omg, after all that, you've gotta keep going! Put my vote in for persisting. If we actually manage to pick ourselves up after this, it would be extremely awesome.
Not only that, but you must avenge all of us and kick some giant monster ass!
Definitely setup a new place with what you've got
That's also a hell lot of purple
Let's not give up. This could be fun. :)
That's what I was hoping to hear! We've been handed a second chance, and I intend to make it count!

I've got a bit of experience with absolute bare-bones starts: zero gear, and zero skills. This should be a lot easier than a true bare-bones start, but it'll still be dicey. I'll hammer out a new session soon.

-
One other thing:
And I do reccomed you use the graphics pack. Makes for better screenshots.
And I would have to agree with Trashman, for what it's worth. I didn't really pay any attention to the screenshots, aside from the text at the bottom of the screens. One of those texture packs might make stuff easier to follow.

Two-and-a-half reasons why I'll be sticking with the basic tiles, rather than graphics:
1) It's what I'm used to. And...
1b) I don't want to try and acclimate to a new graphics system at this EXTREMELY delicate time in Wallbones' history. I'm 100% familiar with the tile graphics, and that familiarity will improve my information-gathering and decision-making abilities. Yes, I'm serious- it matters!
2) Dwarf Fortress combat simply isn't very photogenic, even with graphics. You will never see creatures lunging and swinging at each other, instead you get background color changes and the occasional chunk of one combatant will fly off. Oh, and the splattering of red all over the walls and floors. Furthermore, the wholesale slaughter of the fortress would have been mostly obscured by the clouds of miasma anyways.

I'd really like not to beleaguer this point. Tiles is simply the way I've chosen to portray this LP, and by my worldview that should pretty much be it.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, my point was that the only one who can understand the screenies is someone who played DF extensively. To everyone else the screenies are gibberish.

Even someone who never played DF can understand most of this:

But it's your LP, so do it in whatever way you like.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:01:32 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That's an interesting set! Is it one of the ones posted before?

I still find the original fascinating though, especially in this Let's Play. I would just never be able to play it myself. :p

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
2) Dwarf Fortress combat simply isn't very photogenic, even with graphics. You will never see creatures lunging and swinging at each other, instead you get background color changes and the occasional chunk of one combatant will fly off. Oh, and the splattering of red all over the walls and floors. Furthermore, the wholesale slaughter of the fortress would have been mostly obscured by the clouds of miasma anyways.

That may be true, but in most screenshots I couldn't even find the things which you were describing.
While I love reading your LP, the screenshots are basically useless for me. So yes, even a simple graphics set would help a lot.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Or just more highlighting on the pics. let the guy be, at least until the prolonged survival is likely.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That's an interesting set! Is it one of the ones posted before?

It's the one I'm using. I might have linked to it before.
Ironforge pack..or something like that.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Just a quick update, but perhaps the most important of Wallbones' history.

Digging through the Stocks screen to figure out our available resources actually isn't that easy. I need to sort out what resources are in the compromised Old Fort and what's out on the surface. What I'm looking for are "Forbidden" logs- they would have been dropped by the Elven caravans, and although they're technically ours now, they aren't available for use. After extensive poking around and confirming locations, I estimate that such logs (they have an "F" next to them and are tallied in red next to the log total) come to only 68 logs. That's not much.

It is enough to at least put up a full defensive palisade, make some food storage, and maybe a bit of roofed areas and furniture. The survivors will be safe from a ground attack if I can build the palisade, but I won't be able to stop a flying attacker without a full roof. If the Lyrebird Beast's cousin shows up, we're done.

This area is where the palisade will be. I assign a meeting area at what will be the interior of the palisade, next to the river. On the river, I designate a fishing/water source area. If I can't scavenge any food on the surface, our survivors will need to fish for sustenance. I really hope that a trade caravan will arrive soon- this will be a ****TY existence until then. Sure beats getting killed though.

This may not look like much, but under the cursor is the salvation of our survivors: a dead merchant's donkey with a big pile of usable wood. I Claim the whole pile, and direct the survivors to gather it by the palisade site.

I found another dead merchant's donkey with a sizable stash of tradeable goods. We might need to nick some of this stuff and sell it for pickaxes if we can survive until the next supply caravan arrives. I also notice a small number of Elven wooden weapons in there. While they're not straight-up training weapons, wood simply isn't a very good weapon material. Those weapons miiiiight be useful in an absolute last-ditch effort, but I really doubt it.

Palisade's up, and the only door can be walled over from the inside in the worst case. Also visible is the wood stockpile (with most of its contents vomited on), a butcher's shop, and a carpenter's shop. All the survivors were tasked with carpentry so that the construction and door-making could proceed ASAP. I slaughter one of the survivor's random stray animals and stock the Doomsday Palisade. Once the meat is barrel-ed up and stored away, the Palisade can house all the survivors quite safely if uncomfortably. Right after I take this picture, I order a Trade Depot built so we can actually keep going if we survive to the next caravan.

Nerves are fraying rapidly, and most survivors are in really bad moods. That said, everybody seems to be barely holding it together so far. And before too long, the prayed-for salvation arrives!

HNNNNNNNG IT NEVER ENDS. Right on the heels of the Dwarven caravan, a goblin siege shows up!

Fearing the worst, I immediately lock the lone door leading to the Palisade, sealing a lone dwarf inside. I did this not knowing the intentions or strength of the goblin attack force, although the caravan and all their guards have parked in front of the Palisade. I really hope I don't have to condemn most of the survivors to death so that Wallbones may endure. /nailbite

A lucky break! Well, for us at least. The goblin attack force (about a dozen hammertroops and a macefighter) decide to chase after the Dwarven Diplomat rather than our citizens! I think quickly and draft all the survivors into a military squad, unlock the Palisade door, then order them to station inside the Palisade. All but one survivor is smart enough to understand my order intent and get inside safely. I then re-lock the door and pray for the dumb bastard still outside.

The Dwarven Diplomat is swift for a dwarf, but is eventually chased down and slain. The goblins advance on the miserable wooden rampart that is Wallbones.

Did I mention that the caravan had several guards? Because they do.

The goblins charge Wallbones from the south and the merchants flee. The guards counter-charge the goblins, hell-bent on protecting their Dwarven brothers, despite being outnumbered 2-to-1!

Dwarven steel clashes with goblin iron, dwarf and goblin collide, and blade meets flesh! After a short and furious brawl, six goblins lie dead, the surviving attackers flee, and the caravan guards show little wear for their efforts! Once the goblins have fled the map, the merchants slowly return to the trade depot.

I order the wall over the door torn down and some of the slain goblins' clothing and gear gathered up for trade. Except things don't entirely work. Despite the danger passing and the merchants returning to the depot, they refuse to re-enter the "trading" state. If the merchants won't trade, then we can't get the picks we need! Will the goblins have the last laugh as the merchants prepare to pack up and leave?

**** no. Wallbones has survived the Forgoten Beast Electric Boogaloo from Hell and was given the stupid luck of split-second migrants, we sure as Hell aren't being stopped by a glitch. Recalling a horridly troll trick from the Bay12 Forums, I order the Trade Depot deconstructed with the merchants still on it!

The merchants instantly lose possession of ALL their trade goods, and I order every pickaxe snatched and used to dig out a new living cavern. Incidentally, we now have possession of all the goods the merchants would have had for sale- we'll be set for a long time if we can squirrel it all away to safety.

The main hall of Wallbones mk2. Not much right now, but we have survived! Of course, there may be repercussions. A slain diplomat will hurt relations with our patron nation, and a caravan that returns with a lower value of goods than they arrived with is another black mark. ...And since we basically just jacked an entire Dwarven caravan and an Elven caravan, relations between both nations WILL be strained. Hopefully they won't get pissed and go to war with us; that is a possibility should bad things happen to enough caravans.

We're still in the game, but that's all for now.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:06:15 pm by IronBeer »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Wooo! Go Wallbones!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline watsisname

Merchants don't wanna trade?  **** them!

Steal ALL their things!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Sometimes you have to roll a hard six.

BSG reference for the win
Unless that was used elsewhere, but I'll go with BSG

Love that trade thing. That was hilarious
"Don't want to trade? Well **** you" *collapse trade* *steal everything*
"No"

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Well damn that really escalated quickly.
Good that you decided to start over, I don't want to see it end just yet. Not without a fight. Wallbones Mk2 will rise! :yes:

Also I'm still in if ya get it going and need some HLP names. Gortef or Gortina, both will do just fine again.
Habeeb it...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Epic trolling manouver!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
What a day.

Since Wallbones is no longer in immediate mortal danger, I've thought about the ASCII vs tiles thing and come to a conclusion. As a matter of better presentation, I'll switch to Ironhand's tile pack from this point forward. Unless there's an absolute uproar over it (which I don't anticipate in the slightest).

So here we are, picking up from last time. It's still going to take me a while to adapt, but I'll bear with it for my audience.

I'm not at all keen on making luxuries at this stage, but Wallbones' mayor simply won't be happy until he gets 'proper' housing arrangements. Our current tantrumer, Mr. Febthob, is not the mayor. Nerves are frayed, but things should definitely start improving.

*Sigh*. At least he didn't go berserk. Down to 9 dwarves now.

Can't even go four minutes without tripping across a god-forsaken AMBUSH! FFFFFFFF. Oh yeah, I'm building a stone palisade around the pile of seized goods so we can at least hold those supplies for the time being. For some reason, the caravan pack animals and the guards won't leave. Good for us- they can chase off these kobolds.

Two of our dwarves take hits. Their wounds aren't serious, but they need to be cleaned pronto. Unfortunately, I'm near certain that the surface is no longer safe. Like even a litte.

Seeing the need for water, and the fact that I mis-judged the food situation a bit (we're not going to starve, relax- supplies are just lean)- I order a new well dug out. This one can actually be refilled with clean, clear brook water. Since the fortress is below the level of the brook, an actuated floodgate system is needed to manage the flow. Our mason is also a modestly skilled mechanic, and I set him to work.

Oh, good! We can hock some of the war scraps left around the fort for supp...

Goddamnit. Just.... goddamnit.

The elven caravan is dispatched in very short order. As the goblins march on Wallbones' stone palisade, a sneaking suspicion suggests that I should wall off our surface access.

Walling completed.

And not a moment too soon. Trolls are a common sight in mid- to late-game golbin seiges. Rather than spewing inflammatory comments over the internet, these trolls prefer to be a little more direct. Trolls love smashing up dwarves and buildings- these powerful building destroyers will happily bust down doors and open paths for their comrades. Too bad they'll do no such harm to us.

Verily, **** the surface. We can still get fungus growth on exposed subterranean dirt, and we still need new farms anyways, so I direct our cadre of novice miners to hollow out a large soil area.

It's a massacre outside. The trolls bust down the palisade doors, and the caravan has no chance against the seige. I think they managed to kill one or two gobbos. The remainder of the seige absolutely can't get in, but they aren't leaving any time soon. They'll camp out by the fort for a few months, and eventually they'll get bored and leave.

Remember when I used to get bent out of shape over births? Haha, those were the days. As of now, children may very well be our only chance at population growth. Also, not the large amount of job cancellation spam- our injured dwarves *are* OK, but without any wound dressings, the doctor I've assigned won't let them leave the hospital. I over-estimated the available resources from the trolled caravan; apparently there was zero cloth in that big pile of trade goods. Since we have only Plump Helmet and Dimple Cup seeds, it'll be really difficult to get some thread-bearing Pig Tail plants. There's a chance that dirt tiles will spawn usable plants, and Pig Tails are a possible spawn.

So, the insane dwarf finally died. Interesting note- the new baby's mother is currently in the hospital and can't properly take care of him. So the baby is just randomly bumbling around the fort, more or less fending for himself. If he matures before his mom gets out of the infirmary, he's going to be one tough kid.

So.... apparently some ghosts are malicious. Like this disgruntled former Marksdwarf who decided to kill our current star Mason. Ghosts have been floating around Wallbones Mk2 for a while, but they haven't really done much. This changes everything! These ghosts must be eradicated!

...by laying them to rest. Since there's no way in all the hells that I could recover and bury their remains, I order a number of Memorial Slabs made. At the very least this will let us quickly put down any dwarves that get uppity with their afterlives.

An unknown dwarf from Old Wallbones has come back as a smartass poltergeist. Since I don't know just WHO has decided to not stay dead, I can't specifically make a memorial for them. Of course, I could just make memorial slabs for all the 150 dwarves of Old Wallbones so we'll never need to deal with their cranky spirits again, but we don't really have the spare manpower for such a task.

Instead, I prioritize those that are known to have returned. Ah well. There's only so much we can do with fvie able-bodied dwarves.

(sigh) Make it *four*. In the process of digging out an indoor fishing pond, a section of floor fell loose, taking the mayor with it. As you can see, the mayor has a massive lower spine injury. From this point forward, he's going to be paraplegic, and infirmary-stuck for the immediate future. He can potentially return as a useful worker since he still has both hands, but he's going to have some quality-of-life issues even after getting put back together. Stupid and wasteful- I should have been more careful when designating the dig job.

Another child! At least this one's mother is healthy and can take care of the little tyke. And in just ten short in-game years, we'll have another able-bodied adult! (Ten in-game years is a long time! All of Wallbones' history is less than five!)

This is why we don't go outside anymore. Human caravan shows up, they get upset that our Trade Depot is still smashed by trolls. Less than a minute after I re-open Wallbones Mk2 to the outside world, two friggin' gobbo ambush squads appear.

....Aaaaand of course, one of our VERY limited dwarves is off prancing around on the surface trying to collect some pointless irrelevant object from the other side of the map. We're now down to THREE able-bodied dwarves.

Despite the incomprehensible nightmare that is Wallbones' recent happenings, a group of migrants arrives. While a gobbo kill squad is still on the map. I figure these migrants miiiiight have a chance at killing the gobbos. I mean, if they do, I'll let the surviving migrants in, since it'll be a relatively safe time to do so.

Silly me- the new migrants all die.

Here's our current roster. I'd give just about anything for a Pig Tail plant and/or some seeds so I could finally get the injured dwarves back on their feet. I did see a soil tile spawn a Pig Tail plant, but the dwarf I sent to pick the plant blew the skill roll and came back empty-handed. Frustrating, but we have all the time in the world. Everybody's doing OK mood-wise, and it's not difficult to feed only nine dwarves.

We're still scraping by, but not by much. Oh, and regarding requests for reincarnation- I don't think this would be a particularly fair time to honor those requests. Perhaps later when we have healthier population numbers.

So Hard Light, are we having !!FUN!! yet?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:21:45 pm by IronBeer »

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Wow!  That's incredible!

Yes! Good fun is being had! I can finally sort-of see what's going on, and the struggles and survival are quite interesting.