Author Topic: Witcher 3  (Read 18508 times)

Two days ago CD Projekt informed that their next important production  (which should be finished at the beginning of 2014) will be Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ou1rLU42c teaser. Nothing really special but more materials should be published soon :)

And I hope that in the main part of the plot I would be able to support Nilfgaardian empire :D

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So a little bit of NECRO.

A new trailer has been released. No gameplay, but definitely worth watching.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Lorric

but definitely worth watching.
Yes. I don't know anything about those games, but it was a very nice trailer, and unsettlingly-real looking. The "monsters" were not what I was expecting to see, and the ending was great, though I don't know how he knew he was doing the right thing, maybe I would if I played these games.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Played the 1st Witcher in the original Polish, and loved it. I'll play the second one when I finish the bonus content (and clean up my HD... again). Looking forward to the 3rd game. BTW, check out the novels if you can. Few have official translations, but they're a great read.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Poles get all the good stuff  :p Sapkowski is a fantastic author, I highly recommend his Witcher novels. Excellent in terms of narrative and atmosphere.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Quite the contrary, the works of Sapkowski and Stanislaw Lem are perhaps the only good stuff we get. :) That said, when something from Poland does get out to the world, it's usually very good. I especially love The Witcher series for a very original world based in large part on Slavic mythology, which is a rare occurrence in western fantasy. It creates a really unique atmosphere.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Big fan of the second game especially, but I really to finish reading The Last Wish. The Lesser Evil in particular was extraordinary.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

This makes me so glad I bought my new video card. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
This makes me so glad I bought my new video card. :D
I'm waiting until the benchmarks in this game come out before I pick out my next card.
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

If a GTX 650 Ti Boost can't run this, things are crazy.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Luis Dias

Hmpf. I'm really curmudgeonic today... but really buy an top of the line graphics card for hundreds of dollars so I can drool seeing a wolf with animated fur on its back? It's just not in me, sorry! If I want to see that kind of **** I turn Discovery Channel on, the digital fidelity on their wolves is ****ing A M A Z I N G ! It's like they are real or something!

Really, I rationally "get it" why all the fuss, but my guts just cry "what in the hell ****?"

It seems to me -- and this is a really hostile analysis -- that the Witcher is made by and for the stereotypical 'hardcore PC gamer', to satisfy a bunch of personal dogmas. The graphics are designed from the get-go to take advantage of all the latest blit-mapping and re-triangulating and what have you (but aren't so concerned with the actual art). The game mechanics and interface are very complex, none of that 'streamlining' here. The setting and story are all grit and darkness and moral ambiguity. The main character and tone are unabashedly macho (sex cards). It just... all seems like pandering.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:04:25 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Put me into the "slightly underwhelmed" camp as well. It's fantastic to see that we can do these things now, no doubt about it, but I'd rather see something like this that isn't bound to one vendor-specific tech.

It seems to me -- and this is a really hostile analysis -- that the Witcher is made by and for the stereotypical 'hardcore PC gamer', to satisfy a bunch of personal dogmas. The graphics are designed from the get-go to take advantage of all the latest blit-mapping and re-triangulating and what have you (but aren't so concerned with the actual art). The game mechanics and interface are very complex, none of that 'streamlining' here. The setting and story are all grit and darkness and moral ambiguity. The main character and tone are unabashedly macho (sex cards). It just... all seems like pandering.

There is that, too. Although to be fair, they did drop the sex cards after the first one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Darien

Game looks amazing. I never did finish The Witcher 2 (got bored during the stealth section in the prologue), but finally decided to push through a couple of weeks ago. Brilliant game.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Check out the source material. While out of context, this might seem like pandering, it fits The Witcher novels perfectly. Setting and the story, as well as large amounts of sex (yeah, the sex cards were a bit much, but just a bit) were all like that in the novels, too. In 1 you can, at one point, sleep with a townswoman you met 10 minutes ago, without much effort. Geralt was actually known for doing that, especially in the short stories. I've only played the first game, but I must say it catches the atmosphere of the novels perfectly.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In 1 you can, at one point, sleep with a townswoman you met 10 minutes ago, without much effort. Geralt was actually known for doing that, especially in the short stories. I've only played the first game, but I must say it catches the atmosphere of the novels perfectly.

Still not sure how that's a good thing in the context of a game that has seen far more circulation than the books ever did, and that is held up as one of the PC GAMING MASTER RACE must-have titles. Knowing that it's true to the source material doesn't make this **** any less crude or pandering (or misogynist).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
What I am trying to say is that you can't really blame game makers for making it like that. I suppose you could blame Sapkowski for writing The Witcher like he did, but the designers only stayed true to the novels, and did it really well. Also, it only seems mysogynist because it focuses on a male character. In the novels, it's clear that wizards of both genders sleep around just as much as Geralt, if not more (but only by virtue of living longer :)). This world is screwed up in just about every way possible, and you can see it very clearly, especially if you re-play the game to see both sides of the conflict. It's the same in the novels, and a major theme through the entire cycle.

Also, the designers never expected The Witcher to succeed the way it did. It's an obscure, Polish franchise that was pretty popular in it's home country, but unknown elsewhere until the game came out. While The Witcher 2 made a couple of changes accounting for that, it'd be foolish to mess with the atmosphere and the setting of the game. Afterall, that's why it became so popular in first place. It's a Witcher game, it should feel like one. You wouldn't want Newtonian flight mechanics in a Star Wars space sim, would you? It's the same here, the crappy, racist world with squabbling kings, backstabbing wizards and moronic peasants is what we expect from The Witcher.

I don't really think you can deflect critical analysis of the Witcher games by saying it's all taken from the books like that.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.