Author Topic: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition  (Read 179082 times)

Offline starlord

Re: [RELEASE] Shadow Genesis: 2017 Edition
A pity this was not continued. It had potential.

Sounds like the story would have gotten pretty crazy later on. I thought the Nightmares were just Ancients transformed, interesting that the Nightmares themselves were an even older race that approached the Ancients and transformed them.

SG is partitially based on Reciprocity, and the team made some quite similar decisions if you compare it with Aldos long dead campaign.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi all.

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but when I try loading Shadow Genesis up I get several error message pop ups. The game still appears to run, but i'm wondering if it may cause problems further along the campaign.

Any ideas?

Cheers :-)

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Probably it's configured to use either the wrong builts or the wrong MVPs.

Mhh.. in mission 8 "Ambushers from the shadow" there are two achivements.

Actually i am asking if it is possible to get the first one and also the keep the Meleager beams intact?  :confused:
I am only able to get it, if i am waiting for the Infiltrators at their entry point and blast them out before their missiles knock out the main beams.

Actually i was never able to keep the Meleager beams intact, because the Infiltrator are starting their fire even before their warp effect disappeared.
Should the player not have a few additional seconds to destroy them before they start to fire?

So there is a strategy to get the Achivement, but not to keep the beams intact in the same time. So that feels more like a exploit for me.

Nyctaeus, I would echo the first part of this post.  I was barely able to get the achievement by being in the exact right place and able to take down that wing.  However, is it actually possible to save the Meleager's beams?

Well, would like to get an answer to this question finally... because i never finished this campaign due to this.  :D
Yep, it's possible, but it requires perfect timing. Perhaps it will be rebalanced... some day. You must defend at least one beam to have the achievement. You can either be close enough to kill the infiltrators conventionally or use Angels to snipe them (that is the intended way to do this). You can also give orders to your wingmen, as far as I remember they use long range missiles quite effectively.

So Bosch took the bus to Shivantown? :D

Does he have any power over the Shivans besides being some sort of ambassador, making it possible to negotiate with the bugs, or does GTVNA (I really like this name!) wipe them out?
We didn't decide exactly on what Bosch's abilities should be. For sure his communication with the Shivans would be far more advanced than in FS2. He could point them targets by sending simple signals through the Shivan network, a bit like Psi Emitters in Starcraft. However, at this moment he is totally obsessed with Shivans and unwilling to share ETAK with the GTVA. During the invasion Cerberus tries to isolate groups of survivors and bring them to Bosch so that they can join his Terran-Shivan enclave. After the Nightmares and HS came to the rescue, under their pressure GTVA officially ceased any further attempt to communicate with the Shivans and focused on eradicating the threat. However in Act IV part of the GTVA would see the Nightmares as not better than Shivans and still try to retrieve ETAK and use it as contingency plan.

Hi all.

Not sure if this is the best place to put this but when I try loading Shadow Genesis up I get several error message pop ups. The game still appears to run, but i'm wondering if it may cause problems further along the campaign.

Any ideas?

Make sure you use build and mediaVPs version mentioned in release post, that is: Freespace Open 3.7.4 Official and MediaVPs 2014.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Hi all.

Any ideas?

If you're using knossos I believe the earliest build you can get is 3.8.0-2, which has never given me any problems in SG.  I'd switch to that.

Unrelated: is there any way to make the SG zoom script portable for easy use in other mods (preferably a plug n play, similar to wookiejedi's wingman hud script)?

The zoom script is available somewhere (Scripting release board) but it is probably broken on recent builts (it ignores to which ships/weapons it is limited), and on the most recent nightlies it generates errors when you close the game.

Offline CT27

I know SG4 wasn't fully planned out, but could you say in general how it would have ended?  Would the Shivans have been defeated fully?

Yes, I think they would be eradicated, at least in our galaxy. The final act would be a huge invasion involving the Nightmare armada, GTVA, HS and GE that finally bring the war to the Shivans, each with different motives - survival, revenge, will to purify the space from them. In most missions Nightmares would engage primary Shivan forces while their allies would be responsible for support, precision strikes, retrieval operations, exploring Shivan lairs, nests or whatever they have and discovering their secrets.

Beautiful. Shivans receive the Shivanocalypse, get all their secrets stolen (and their clothes too!) while their offspring is being offed~ :D

Offline CT27

In the recent answer (thank you for that BTW), GTVA and HS were mentioned as separate entities.  After getting separated in SG1, wasn't it the intention of HS to reunify with the GTVA once connection with the GTVA was re-established or was that plan changed?

They planned to reunify, but during the five long years of separation Herschel Supremacy formed their own quasi-national identity. HS would be more authoritarian and militarized than the GTVA, with Supreme Admiral Peters holding most executive powers and society mobilizing by fear of both Nightmare and Shivan threat. It would also be far less corrupted and better organized, as Peters carried out lots of reforms and successfully cleared the Wolf's Group of Cerberus' influence. It would not be a bloody dictatorship, rather something like Martian Congressional Republic in Expanse, with its society proud, disciplined and eager to serve their motherland.

When contact with the GTVA is re-established, the Alliance would be in the middle of Shivan invasion, so both factions must closely cooperate putting their differences aside. But still GTVA would be very unhappy to see their former colonies so independent, united and having their own agenda. Further in the campaign they would also have different view on the Nightmares - Sinclair has convinced Peters to cooperate with them while most GTVA officials still see them as no less threat than the Shivans. So there would be tensions between both factions, close encounters, provocations, perhaps some special operations, but Shivan threat (and our heroes' actions) would prevent them from escalating into an open war. It's possible that war between GTVA and HS would broke out after the Shivans are defeated, but it was never planned to be in the campaign.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The MCR becomes a fascist empire and carries out a genocide unprecedented in human history, though.

Never trust an authoritarian, militaristic state.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
One thing worth to be noted here is the fact that the Enclave and Nightmares decided to ally only with HS, maintaining neutral relationship on the surface, but in reallity their relations with GTVA would be rather ambivalent. Nightmares are not trustful towards anybody at all, while GE originated from NTF remnants and capella survivors, so they remember Second Shivan Incursion. I planned to combine three powers into allied but non-unified political body called The Trinity Covenant. I have nothing more. This plot dates back my beginning on HLP and we never developed it any further.

Anyway, R.I.P SG
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
On request aswell together with Nyctaeus i created an Update for Shadow Genesis.

There were quite a few errors in the original release. Version 2.2 offers the following things:

• Fixed tables.
• Fixed models.
• Added previously missed textures.
• Compatibility to MediaVPs 3.8.X.
• Updates for Zoom Script and Message Box.

The Zoom script was wrong packed in 2017. And i updated the files with the Zoom Script that is present in the HLP wiki, which should be the most recent one.
But as i did not playtest this campaign so far, i can not tell if the Zoom script is working at all, now.
Due to the missing playtest, this version is Knossos exclusive for the time being.

If i did a playtest on my own and also resolved all bugs that may got reported by players who play it before me, i will also offer a manual downloadable/installer version of it as part of Nova Upgrade later.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:50:48 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

AFAIK, the Zoom script still ignores whatever you write as per-ship or per-weapon limitation into the config file.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Okay... but in the original campaign there was no given limitation anyway... even this one would work... i could not even tell if this was intended to be only used for specific weapons.

The configuration is identical to that file that is in SG2017... the only difference is, that it is working now, because it is no longer in the wrong folder :D
Aswell the actual script was updated and fixed a post-game error message in this process.

-- Setting ship class options
Allowed Ship Class: **all**

-- Setting weapon class options
Allowed Weapon Class: **all**
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:15:50 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Ah ok, thought it had been limited to certain weapons, probably memory was wrong. :warp:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
oooh, thats good timing, I'm playing SG at the mo. I'll let youk now how I get on  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]