Author Topic: SimCity (5) HLP Region?  (Read 7835 times)

Re: SimCity (5) HLP Region?
Yeah, turns out a mathematician working for the art makes a terrible software engineer.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Out of curiosity, is DF multi-threaded?
No. Dwarf Fortress is single-threaded and essentially held together with the coding equivalent of bubblegum and duct tape.

It's also limited to 2GB of memory, which is a big problem with larger fortresses.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, so I gather that nobody wants to join in on a region with me? :rolleyes:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

yes, and also your taste in games is horrible
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

If you look carefully, most - if not all - the reviews complains about a couple of very high-profile issues... the launch debacle, and the always-on requirements. Sure, some have issue with the AI & pathing, but what game doesn't have those kinds of issues? Besides, that's half the fun - figuring out what's going on, why, and how to work around it, or even better, utilize it.

In any case, it's a game I generally have fun playing. Yes, I still have issues with it, but many of those can be resolved by regional play... hence the reason for this thread.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
SimCity 5 is not a good simulation of a city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytk1agmcXhU

Notice the airliner(s) below you.

If you look carefully, most - if not all - the reviews complains about a couple of very high-profile issues... the launch debacle, and the always-on requirements. Sure, some have issue with the AI & pathing, but what game doesn't have those kinds of issues? Besides, that's half the fun - figuring out what's going on, why, and how to work around it, or even better, utilize it.

In any case, it's a game I generally have fun playing. Yes, I still have issues with it, but many of those can be resolved by regional play... hence the reason for this thread.

Well as I see the problem, it's not that the game isn't any decent or wouldn't be fun to play with friends, it's that it's essentially a prettier, but less functional version of SimCity 4, with a few new features that don't make much difference. Also 4 is way cheaper, and proven to work well, and doesn't need an always-on connection.
I'm not the sort to boycott a game with a stupid requirement or a few problems (such as MMOs), if it's going to be worth it. SimCity 5 just isn't worth it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
SimCity 5 is not a good simulation of a city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytk1agmcXhU

Notice the airliner(s) below you.
You know, I think that video actually increases the game's value for me. :lol:

If you look carefully, most - if not all - the reviews complains about a couple of very high-profile issues... the launch debacle, and the always-on requirements. Sure, some have issue with the AI & pathing, but what game doesn't have those kinds of issues?

sandwich

did you even read

the last page of discussion

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

If you look a little more carefully you will realize that exactly the opposite is true, this game is fundamentally broken.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Freespace is fundamentally broken. Space physics just don't work like that. And what is up with that retarded AI always crashing into capital ship hulls?

You get the point, I trust? Games don't have to be perfect (and nobody is claiming that SimCity is perfect!). They just have to be fun. I happen to be having fun playing SimCity. If you are so biased against it that you're unwilling to even try it, kindly shut up - this is not your thread. If you did try it and don't enjoy playing it - kindly shut up, this is not your thread.

If you want to try playing in a multiplayer region with me an other forumites, speak up. Otherwise, go ***** in the other SimCity thread.

Freespace is fundamentally broken. Space physics just don't work like that.

Yes, but the physics still work. Simcity's "physics" on the other hand...

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
For ****'s sake, I got to side with Sandwich here if only due to people throwing complaints about the game (ones which I assume he is aware about) or insults about him directly (Phantom, was that really necessary?)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
I have no idea whether or not it's a fun game, as I haven't played it.  If you like it and find it fun, kudos.

But on a simulation level, that **** is miles behind where the previous installments were.  It makes me wary about the future of Maxis.

AIUI Maxis of old is completely gone, now it's fresh-faced EA-hired staff for everything.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Freespace is fundamentally broken. Space physics just don't work like that. And what is up with that retarded AI always crashing into capital ship hulls?

You get the point, I trust? Games don't have to be perfect (and nobody is claiming that SimCity is perfect!). They just have to be fun. I happen to be having fun playing SimCity. If you are so biased against it that you're unwilling to even try it, kindly shut up - this is not your thread. If you did try it and don't enjoy playing it - kindly shut up, this is not your thread.

If you want to try playing in a multiplayer region with me an other forumites, speak up. Otherwise, go ***** in the other SimCity thread.

I'm not super sure how to respond to this. You're correct, you have every right to set up a multiplayer game, though we also have every right to warn people off buying this game. But the other points you're making are wrong - the analogy with FreeSpace physics doesn't hold, since FreeSpace physics function as designed whereas SimCity cannot, and it's not a question of bias since bias involves attention to nonsalient information rather than diagnostic information, whereas this is literally 'the game does not work'. I feel like we haven't done an adequate job explaining that the issue here isn't 'SimCity is a game with bad design choices', it's 'SimCity is a game that fundamentally and almost randomlydoes not function'. This is why so many people who had fun with the game initially have actively revised their reviews.

I'm not sure how to balance correcting these misconceptions with your expressed desire to keep this thread on a different topic. Open to advice!

edit: I guess the question I'm asking is, do you want to talk about this:

If you look carefully, most - if not all - the reviews complains about a couple of very high-profile issues... the launch debacle, and the always-on requirements. Sure, some have issue with the AI & pathing, but what game doesn't have those kinds of issues?

or not? Because this statement I've quoted is flat-out wrong. On the other hand, it being wrong does not deny you the right to enjoy the game and to try to organize multiplayer, nor does it mean that people should be allowed to insult you.

The other thread is also over a year dead, are we gonna get yelled at for necroing :ohdear:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:47:40 am by General Battuta »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
My frustration stems from the fact that I didn't care one iota what other people thought about the game; I wanted to play the game with others who were willing. Instead, the thread got intentionally, forcibly, and repeatedly derailed, in spite of my repeated attempts to refocus on the one simple, original question. :sigh:

I'll necro the other thread for you; we can debate the game's brokenness there.

EDIT: There, happy? http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80219.new#new

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yes, that's perfectly fair.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Tell you what Sandwich, give it a couple of months and then re-boot this thread and I may well be interested.

I don't own the game at the moment, mostly because of concerns about the launch-day readiness (and because I always felt a bit burned by the atrocious 'Societies'), but I actually quite like the look of it. Hopefully in a few months the worst problems will be ironed out and I will definitely take a look at picking it up :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'll be honest with you, Flipside, I started playing perhaps one week after launch, and haven't seen a single instance of the "Unable to connect to servers, retry in 20 mins" launch-day problems. Twice while playing I had momentary notifications go off that the game lost connection to the servers, but it resolved quickly and didn't cause any actual problems.

The only thing I have noticed repeatedly - and this may be by design - is that if I start the launcher (which connects to the servers itself to get the latest patch), get sidetracked by something, and then return to the still-open launcher 20 mins later or whatever, it will have in essence timed-out without any notifications of such. You just go to launch the game and it says "Unable to connect". In 100% of those times (I think this happened to me 3 times or so), the problem was simply resolved by exiting the launcher and reloading it again. Hmm... actually, I'm not sure whether that happened to me in the launcher or in the main menu in-game, but either way, the problem and resolution were as described - long periods of inactivity led to "timeout"-style disconnects resolved by simply reloading the launcher/game.

My only remaining real complaints are the lack of terrain-editing capabilities, and the diminutive size of the cities themselves - the latter being more frustrating than the former.

ANYway, bottom-line is that if the game interests you, there's no real reason to wait IMO.