Author Topic: Just Another Day Development Blog  (Read 233980 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Just Another Day Development Blog
The things I hide in missions that no one will ever see...  :drevil:

Offline Axem

As we hunt for the person who leaked that info, I'd like to share a wonderful milestone with everyone! All the missions for JAD2.22 are now "complete"!

And by "complete" I mean you can "finish" them (as long as you don't upset some fragile conditions (like hitting the 1 key)).

So yes! The mission count will be 16!

But half of them are just visual novel type missions.

So more like 8.

And if we assume work started on JAD2.21's original release date (September 2011) then we can interpolate that 1 mission took about 5-6 months to make.

And I still have to polish them all.

Holy wow am I slow.

This mod better be worth it!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
hey... how come the jad222-6a mission filename overlaps with JAD2.21? HMM??  Axem?!?!?

This mod better be worth it!

It will be! :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

I renamed all of the mission filenames in JAD2.21 (probably killing previous save files in the process!).

The reason for that is all fiction viewer/command briefing/briefing parts are being moved to visual novel like sections. But to do that I need to insert new missions to house those all over the place, which screws up my old mission numbering/lettering. So stuff got overhauled! The biggest change was making the mission 2 files part of mission 1 now, so everything dropped a number.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
That was fast. lol!

Offline Axem

That was fast. lol!

And if we assume work started on JAD2.21's original release date (September 2011) then we can interpolate that 1 mission took about 5-6 months to make.

Y-yes!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Surely JAD:XA was the release immediately preceding JAD 2.22? That'll make the time look better :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Axem

I wish...

JAD:XA was a by product of JAD2.22s development when I realized "hey this berserk gameplay is pretty fun, I wish I could share this stuff now".

(Or maybe... it was...)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Blimey, it's been that long already?

Offline Axem

You know what's lame?

Briefings.

Small briefing grid. Low quality monochrome icons. Barely any room to write deep and insightful text before it gets cut off and you have to start clicking the scroll arrows.

Some oughta do something about that!

Well maybe someone dida.

Please enjoy these still WIP previews of the new way I'll be doing briefings for JAD. You've probably already seen these briefings play out in JAD2.21, but now they are 1000% better. (2000% better once Spoon gets the artwork done!)

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
That looks pretty nifty. That being said, the feature creep is real. But it's good feature creep that can help everyone!
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Axem

I'd call feature creep something that pushes back dev on something I plan to do.

The new briefing system is already done and just an extension of the Visual Novel setup that I've been using for months and months now. Adding this took about a day or so and rewriting (copy pasting) all the briefings took another few days, so it's not quite feature creep.

But if you guys want me to feature creep, then could you give me $80 million and a few extra years so I can make the best FreeSpace campaign ever with new features like planetary combat, capital ship combat, multiplayer or open world systems! :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Dear Sir:

I have been requested by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company to contact you for assistance in resolving a matter. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for oil exploration in the sub-Sahara region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equaling US$800,000,000. The Nigerian National Petroleum Company is desirous of oil exploration in other parts of the world, however, because of certain regulations of the Nigerian Government, it is unable to move these funds to another region.

You assistance is requested as a non-Nigerian citizen to assist the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, and also the Central Bank of Nigeria, in moving these funds out of Nigeria. If the funds can be transferred to your name, in your United States account, then you can forward the funds as directed by the Nigerian National Petroleum Company. In exchange for your accommodating services, the Nigerian National Petroleum Company would agree to allow you to retain 10%, or US$80 million of this amount.

However, to be a legitimate transferee of these moneys according to Nigerian law, you must presently be a depositor of at least US$100,000 in a Nigerian bank which is regulated by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

If it will be possible for you to assist us, we would be most grateful. We suggest that you meet with us in person in Lagos, and that during your visit I introduce you to the representatives of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company, as well as with certain officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Please call me at your earliest convenience at 18-467-4975. Time is of the essence in this matter; very quickly the Nigerian Government will realize that the Central Bank is maintaining this amount on deposit, and attempt to levy certain depository taxes on it.

Yours truly,
Prince Spoon
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Axem

GTD Orion 1:100 Scale Models for sale soon*! This Deluxe Admiral Gold Edition is a limited 1000 unit run!

MSRP: To be announced
*Expected release date Q3 23XX

(Funny note, that model has about 3000 polygons, the retail Orion is in the 1000 range...)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Will this mighty engine of war appear in a mission, or were you just bored? :P
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Axem

Please please, it is the center plot device piece to an entire mission arc! Show it some respect!

EDIT: Here's a p3d if you want a closer look.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 09:14:50 pm by Axem »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
PhD required?
owwwww, why must I be neglected for being dumb  :(
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Axem... sometimes the things that come out of your brain make me really worry for you.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Axem

My friends call me moon unit. :)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
I for one, like his work and a portion of madness!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--