Author Topic: GVB Ammit - 2013 MODELING CONTEST ENTRY - NEWCOMER DIVISION  (Read 29878 times)

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
nice update
make sure to release this before the end of september though, NO matter how unfinished it is
you might win the newcomer price of the modeling contest, since so far i'm not having any competition on the shivan models and i would be your ony competitor in that area ;) *shrug*

also we need to crack that 10 model threshold to activate the public prize  :lol:
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
make sure to release this before the end of september though, NO matter how unfinished it is
you might win the newcomer price of the modeling contest, since so far i'm not having any competition on the shivan models and i would be your ony competitor in that area ;) *shrug*

also we need to crack that 10 model threshold to activate the public prize  :lol:

I have every intention of finishing and releasing in time for the contest, even if the texture ends up looking mediocre. TBH, if I had to bet, I'd say you'd win the Newcomer prize, but I'll give it a shot.

The contest has turned out to be a disappointment. Unless a lot of models are entered at the last second, we won't have a lot of entrants. While that DOES give me a better shot at the newcomer prize than I'd have had otherwise  :) , I'm more disappointed that the contest hasn't inspired a lot of next-gen Vasudan and Shivan models.

Then again, modeling is hard, what can I say.  :)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Mine won't be done.  School and work took precedence.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Okay, heading into the home stretch. This is about as good as my basic map's probably gonna get, but it should at least be functional. Still got to do the shine and normal maps.

I'd use p3d instead of screenshots, but I'm having problems getting p3d to show textures, and I don't want to bother getting it to work right now.

"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline fightermedic

the texture is too clean for my taste
just slap a bit of surface irregularity on it
slightly overlay the beige and brown areas with a proper tile texture
if you don't want to search use this one:

[attachment deleted by ninja]
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
You have the base colors down.  Now use layers and add in grime, oil, panels, etc.  Also put those lights on the side onto another layer.  Also bevel said lights.

R

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks, guys. I'm still a newb, and I can still use all the help I can get.

Rampage, the side lights are already part of my glowmap. I'll still try to fix them up, so they look better.

I'm thinking about deleting the cockpit and the pilot model, to boost performance, as I've been having performance problems with the Ammit in FRED. Opinions?

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I don't know about FRED but in FSO, what gives the most problems is textures. Lots of big textures = bad. You can have a lot of modelled details if you keep your texture count and size down.
However, if your fighter has less than 20k triangles and has one square texture of 1024,2048 or 4096 pixels, your ship is fine for FSO. Most of what I've done is above 10,000 triangles and uses 4096 pixels textures and I haven't had any troubles with them.
My advice: keep the cockpit. If you want to optimize it a bit you should use a decimate modifier on the pilot. He's 1500 tris and you don't need all of those.

Offline fightermedic

yes keep the cockpit, it should be almost insignificant for fps with modern graphic cards
also, don't forget to post a download link today ;)
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I've still got until tomorrow, and as a major procrastinator, I'll take whatever extra time I can get.

The problem with the cockpit is that, between it and the pilot, it adds two more textures to the model. I'd heard that texture count really makes a real performance difference. I'll try decimating the pilot, and if I test it in FSO and that doesn't make a difference, I'd rather just ditch the pilot and cockpit and shave two textures off the model. I run FSO with Intelgrated graphics, and I'd like to keep this model manageable [or at least no worse than other MediaVPs models] for people like me with lower-end machines.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Release it as-is for the contest. You can bake your textures into a single texture afterwards. It's what I do to have baked glows on my pilot.  I can give you detailed instructions later if you want. It's easy once you know how.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Release it as-is for the contest. You can bake your textures into a single texture afterwards. It's what I do to have baked glows on my pilot.  I can give you detailed instructions later if you want. It's easy once you know how.

I think I'll take your advice.

Time to finish this thing up.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: GVB Ammit - 2013 MODELING CONTEST ENTRY - NEWCOMER DIVISION
Inb4 deadline. I hope it works. Didn't finish the Khepri, though. I'll add it in in a later release.

Big thanks to everyone who helped and gave me ideas. fightermedic, if I beat you, it's your own fault. :p

Offline fightermedic

nice :)
Downloaded and added to model-contest-example-mission
seems like with your ship added i've now got all the models, tomorrow will be a busy mission freding day

edit: after a first glance at it ingame i can say it does look much better now, thanks to the changed texture and of course specularity
baking the glowmap would improve the quality even further, make sure to follow The Daggers instructions and do that :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:30:19 pm by fightermedic »
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
My release was rushed (for one thing, I made the cockpit canopy completely transparent), and the extension will give me some much-needed time to patch my release up.

Offline fightermedic

if you haven't noticed: your mirror reflectivity is way over the top, you probably should increase the transparency of your shine map
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
As promised, a little guide into baking maps in Blender.

1) I suppose that you have your model looking sharp and good with all debris and stuff done. I will be using the Sekhmet to show you how to bake your pilot (or other parts) into a single texture, in order to reduce the quantity of textures. Beware that texture baking may be a math intensive process for your PC; so if you have an Intelgrated setup, you'll need a lot of patience.

The Sekhmet as released uses 3 materials:
-Sekhmet-map for the diffuse, mapped into Sekhmet.dds
-Sekhmet-trans-map for the transpared cockpit, mapped into Sekhmet-trans.dds
-Vaspilot-map for the pilot, mapped into Pilot.png
The UV layout is called UV1 and is refered by all materials. Here's an image of the materials configuration:

UV1 includes UVs for debris too (I did it the complicated way, but since 2.68 you can use the AtlasMap addon to map several different objects into one map).

2) You'll need a new UV map. First add a new UV layout (in my case, UV2), select it and then do whatever you like to fit all your stuff into a single map. Of course your pilot UVs are huge so you'll have to reduce them. You can use the Stretch->Area option to ensure your resolution is good enough. Blue means your texture resolution is like the average, so I scale down to blue and then go up a bit, which makes it green or something (being a detailed object, the pilot deserves it).
Fortunatelly, I was able to fit my pilot UV into some unused space, so I won't touch the texture further. If you can't do that, you can move things all you need, it won't change much, but take into account that baking can blur textures a bit, so I prefer to keep the other parts the same and just add the new parts in GIMP.

3) Now, create a new texture with the same size as your original one. If you don't, you'll be trying to read and write from the same file and Blender won't let you. Assign your UVs to the new map (mine's called Bake).

4) Before baking, make sure that your UV2 has the little camera on (this means that the render will use that UV instead of the other, the materials however are specified to use the other).
Now you're all set. Go to the bake menu, select textures, select your mesh and hit bake!

5) Once your rendering is over, save your file and you should have something like this:

6) Now, you have to reexport your model. In order to do so, I have to delete VasPilot-map as a material and apply Sekhmet instead. If you don't want to do all the conversion again, you can just delete your subobject from PCS2 and load the new one from your dae. Don't forget to check the export options, you should have "Copy" and "Material textures" checked but nothing else in the texture part. Finally, don't forget to remove your vaspilot reference from your pof. And we're done... are we?

7) You can also bake from one object to another and this is specially usefull for debris. First, you should already have your debris mapped. Select detail0 then your debris. Then hit bake, but this time check the option (Selected to active). This way, your debris will reflect perfectly your ship texture without using it directly. The problem when your debris is mapped to your normal texture is that your glowmaps will remain glowing after your ship is destroyed which looks stupid. And once you have integrated that bake into your diffuse you can add all the wear and tear you want to those debris.
This is how it looked like with debris baked:

[

There is some nonsense there over the cuted areas but you should be texturing over those anyway so it's no problem.

So, why should we go into all this trouble?
1- Lots of textures is bad for Freespace AFAIK. Reducing them is good.
2- Having firing debris instead of glowing blue bits of a ship looks cooler.
3- You could use the same technique to transform a tiled ship into a "UVmapped" ship.
4- Once you have a mapped mesh, you can add ambient occlusion and baked glowmaps. But baking glowmaps is another story...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:54:44 am by The Dagger »

Offline Husker

^^ I think your pics are missing. Just sayin'.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
^Yeah, thanks for the heads up, photobucket decided to change my images names when I move them to folders...  :banghead:

Offline Husker

You're welcome. This wouldn't be great unless it had at least basic textures. Btw, nice ship you've made! I like it.