Author Topic: [WIP] GTD Nuadha  (Read 35105 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't think PCS2 actually cares what the turret arm (or the turret base, for that matter) is called as long as its parent is the turret in question.

It doesn't matter at all what the arm is named.
The base, however MUST contain the substring 'turret' to be recognized as a turret. PCS2 doesn't care, but FSO does. But you can go really stupid things 'antidistabilishmenturretenism' and it'll work...given you don't run into string limits.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Aesaar

Ah, that makes sense.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I think I'm going to stick to turret## and turret##arm.

In the mean time, all flak and laser turrets are added. Check the P3D embed.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Not really sure how to describe it, but turret placement right now is....weird? Try downsizing the turrets a little bit and removing some of the centerline turrets, I guess.

Seems like what I'm getting here is that it's a bit cluttered.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well crap. Looks like I'm gonna have to make the dreaded multi part on an angled  surface.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Here the turrets are, scaled to about 75% of their original size. I also deleted two of the center line turrets and spread them out a little bit more.

Yes, I know they are floating, I just need to know if they are spaced better along the Y-axis now.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
 :yes:

You fixed whatever I kept getting when I was looking at the turrets at their original size. Not sure about the angled turrets, but yeah.

Edit: I noticed you updated the P3D with smaller turrets. Looks great!

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well that's a relief. I'm working on adding beam turrets (ie. single parts) right now. Should be an update some time tomorrow morning (relatively speaking).

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
To be honest I would like see rather more detailed base model. It looks like in too-early stage of modelling to be textured/turreted. Anyway I like the shape, it's very exotic and extraordinary :yes: .
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
All I can see is Funnels. Funnels everywhere. That's no destroyer, it looks more like a tiny little flying turret recursively possessing turrets itself.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I am sorry, but I agree with AoD's sentiment. It could really use more work.

Try making a sketch and add more details (No matter how "terrible") and make several derivatives. You'll learn there are many things you can add.

And don't worry, you can take all the time you want. You don't have any sort of pressure... :nervous:

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I hope by detail you mean greebling and more complex hull/armor shapes because I had several drawings made of it and this was the most logical to make in Blender. THAT I can do. I had originally planned on relying on normal maps for detail that would be too complex in Blender but if I work at it, I can make it work eventually, albeit at an extreme time cost (trying to make certain recesses and raised portions are difficult at this point in modelling).

I don't understand what you mean by funnels. Do I need to change the engines and remove the bow cannons?

I was originally hoping to release this before the contest extension was up but it appears that the almighty FreeSpace gods are thinking differently.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I was originally hoping to release this before the contest extension was up but it appears that the almighty FreeSpace gods are thinking differently.

The contest extension only applied to ships that had been announced as started - but not completed - prior to the close of the original deadline. This was to allow people like Esarai, Oddgrim and others to finish - basically recognizing that they'd put in a tonne of work but had been beaten by the clock. While you're obviously working hard on this too, given that you didn't announce it before the cut off, it unfortunately wouldn't have been acceptable for this particular contest anyway. So don't worry about your release date, and instead focus on making the model as good as you can.

With regards to the model specifically, I actually really like the shape - it really seems to capture the FS2 Terran design ethos - the wings evoke the Hecate, and the basic, shape-focussed design isn't an unrealistic projection of how Terran design might go - a sort of Orionesque design methodology but projected forty years into the future - a sleeker version of Inferno's EA stuff, maybe.

If you're looking for places to add detail, I'd suggest looking at the bridge and wings first, as they're discrete parts that can be worked on somewhat independently from the rest of the model. Also, consider detailing up the turrets and fighterbay - these are the areas that players are most likely to spend time very close to, after all. That sort of squashed-cylinder between the two prongs might also be a place to add some cool greebling too. Anyway, target the low hanging fruit, then take the work you did there and apply it more broadly over the rest of the hull.  But don't touch the basic shape! It's really good. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Ah well then, I guess there's no real need to rush then.
Thanks for the recommendations, I can see what you mean though.
The cylinder (reactor core for the top bow cannon) actually was not complete yet upon further inspection and I am working on detailing the wings better. Basically, expect more detailing of poor regions.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Husker

Yeah, it's a really cool design. Thumbs up all round so far. Just a tiny niggle, is it possible to add a few pictures of areas you're working on for those of us looking at this on a phone?

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Ask and ye shall receive.

Wings:

Main Cannon Reactor (ie. cylinder) :

Turret type to be detailed:

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Husker

Nice job there! I doth approve.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Here is an update on the cylinder thing (We really need to give it an official name).

Edit: What if I removed the bow cannon and made the cylinder some sort of super beam emitter?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Something like Sajuuk? How cool would that be!
el hombre vicio...

Offline Husker

I don't have any objections to it, but I would stick with the bow cannon and leave the cylinder as the reactor. That said, it's your ship design.

Although, the reactor being the cylinder makes for an interesting way to make missions against it. Blow up the reactor before a friendly ship gets on firing range to disable the main beam (which I see as being inset into the hull a fair bit).