Pie
1 (2.6%)
Mr. Cuddles wins the war
9 (23.1%)
Snuffleupagus
2 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: November 03, 2013, 03:01:25 pm

Author Topic: (Spoilers!) Do you think the GTVA will survive Blue Planet?  (Read 4868 times)

(Spoilers!) Do you think the GTVA will survive Blue Planet?
The events of Act 3 in particular made me, as a GTVA supporter, very nervous about their chances of survival. It seems like the UEF has everything on their side in the cosmic scheme of things from the Vishnans and their own Fedayeen. Anybody else thinking the same thing?  :(

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Re: (Spoilers!) Do you think the GTVA will survive Blue Planet?
We have yet to see the GTVA from the inside, which frankly is probably doing a lot of what the UEF is, just with more experience.

I don't think either side is going to make it out intact. Both sides have exhibited cracks in their ideals. Sure, the feds have the Fedayeen on their side, but who knows what is going to happen to the Council of Elders, regardless of who actually wins the war? Likewise, I don't think the Terran Assembly and Toqueville are going to make it out of the war unscathed, even in a GTVA victory scenario. The biggest unknown, for now, are the Vasudans, which can stay more or less neutral, side with the GTVA or side with the UEF. The GEF are another wildcard. They don't have all that much impact on the military strategic scale, but idealogically and socially, they offer an interesting alternative. So far, I think everybody has been underestimating them, using them as a tool for asymetrical warfare and little else. At least until one nutjob proved how resourceful they can actually be.

So, short answer: there is still too many unknowns to conclude wether either sides are toast or not.

I too am a died-in-the-wool tev, but really I have no idea where the war will go: I can think up plausible narrative justifications for either side winning. Note that as of Universal Truth the Fedayeen seem to be having serious doubts about the Vishnans, and by extension the Elders; right now they're a wildcard.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I wouldn't be utterly surprised if the fedayeen turned on the federation given certain circumstances.  For instance, they could find out why the elders think that humanity will become extinct if the UEF falls, then find this reasoning to be invalid.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Read the last Fedayeen briefing. :P

It is very likely we'll be fighting White Brotherhood ships in Part 4/5.

Offline CT27

I suppose it partly depends on what's meant by "survival"?

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
I suppose it partly depends on what's meant by "survival"?

My thoughts exactly. Will the humans in the GTVA survive? I would assume so. Will the GTVA as an organization survive?
...I don't think so.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Luis Dias

It's obvious the question is meant for the organization.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I personally think that Go Go GEF Rangers will happen.  :drevil:

On a serious note, I don't know why some people are apparently under the impression *all* human organizations wouldn't be gutted.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Match ended.
Red ants win!
el hombre vicio...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
No one will survive Blue Planet.  ._.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
everybody's dead Dave, everybody's dead  :nervous:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline An4ximandros

I just realized there is no Snuffleupagus option. Fix this ASAP. :P

As far as the ending goes... I think Earth/BetaAq. will get glassed and we get to pick who bombs it. Thus the color of the ending: Red, Blue, Yellow, Turqoise...

Or they all get eaten by a Grue. Think about it!

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Spoilers: Those crazy ants have been behind everything the whole time. Everyone is in fact, a animatronic puppet piloted by millions of ants. The Shivans are actually ants. Earth is just made out of blue, green, and brown ants. Steele's brain is composed of ants.

We are all ants, and we are not grateful.

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
Super-Secret Spoiler:  The ants haven't been doing anything--it's been termites the whole time.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

we are all ant'dawa
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline An4ximandros

We are all ant summoners.

I really hope the GTVA doesn't fall as a political entity, despite what Ken and the Fedayeen claims. They are really the best hope for the vast majority of humanity and vasudans in a world manipulated by forces beyond their own control. They kept stability in a time that collapsed the UEF, so I think they are humanities best chance of survival.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Per DavetheGrave, I assure you that if the GTVA survives, then humanity (including their ancestors the Colonial Defence Force) will survive.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...