Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377703 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.2
Wow, that just looks so professional. Congratulation on the release Goober. :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You've got to move on from this "graphics are everything" attitude Luis!!! :D

Actually - the screenshots did show me one thing - the red/green globes are looking much nicer on Windows than on Linux.  Is it possible to use the same icon on both platforms?

I know this minor/nitpicky stuff, but it adds to the professional look of the installer.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Arparso

Trying to do a clean fresh install and installation of the GOG package fails for me. There's an error while trying to extract the "setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe" and the installer tells me to check access rights of the install folder. I double checked the rights and that doesn't seem to be the issue... or else it shouldn't have been able to install everything else, right? That's the message I've got on the summary screen after installation:

Installiere FreeSpace 2 mit dem GOG Packet: Ein Fehler ist aufgetreten während Dateien aus dem GOG Paket ausgepakt wurden.  Prüfen sie die Rechte Ihres Spielverzeichnisses oder besuchen sie Hard Light Productions für technische Hilfestellung.
Kopiere GOG Zwischensequenzen in das data Verzeichnis, das von FreeSpace Open benutzt wird.: Übersprungen weil Elternmod nicht installiert wurde.

Additionally each run of the installer creates a new temporary folder for InnoExtract (such as "D:\Games\GOG\Freespace 2\10b33cfb798243d8875b9f60cad4202c\innoextract-1.4-windows-r2") and doesn't delete them afterwards.

So how to proceed now? Is it safe to install the GOG package on top of what's been installed by the FSO installer? Should I install that to a new folder and then move the mediavps and everything else there? Or am I doing something wrong?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
That installer is so 2D and "texty" I am completely underwhelmed. Definitely not worth the download.

the point of the installer isnt to look pretty, its to download and install things without breaking other things. it does this job very well, so well that even i, the guy who has to do everything manually, am using it. to improve the look of the thing is unnecessary and superficial. its not going to make it do its thing any better. i cant imagine why it would be hard to give it a super sexy interface skin to make it more attractive to new players, except id rather continued work going into bugfixes and features.

i tend to frown on software that tries to be unnecessarily shiny.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
zzzzfffffffwwwwWWWWOOOOOSHHhhhhhhhh

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Actually - the screenshots did show me one thing - the red/green globes are looking much nicer on Windows than on Linux.  Is it possible to use the same icon on both platforms?

The same icons are being used on both platforms.  Almost everything about the installer is the same no matter what platform you run it on.

It looks like the icons are being stretched since your progress bars are taller than the Windows ones.  I can make the icons centered in the panel rather than stretched to compensate.

Trying to do a clean fresh install and installation of the GOG package fails for me. There's an error while trying to extract the "setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe" and the installer tells me to check access rights of the install folder. I double checked the rights and that doesn't seem to be the issue... or else it shouldn't have been able to install everything else, right?

The access rights are merely one possible reason for the failure.  Please upload your logs folder (created in the directory where you run the jar) and I'll take a look.

Additionally each run of the installer creates a new temporary folder for InnoExtract (such as "D:\Games\GOG\Freespace 2\10b33cfb798243d8875b9f60cad4202c\innoextract-1.4-windows-r2") and doesn't delete them afterwards.

The temporary folder is deleted after the installation successfully completes.  I'll change it so that it's deleted even if there's a failure.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
also as I am using an old CRT monitor atm I am limited to 1024x768 resolution which might also affect pixalation
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Incidentally, does anyone know what's up with FreeSpace PL?  I was going to announce the Installer there and ask for a Polish translation, but the site has been offline for several days.

Offline Arparso

The access rights are merely one possible reason for the failure.  Please upload your logs folder (created in the directory where you run the jar) and I'll take a look.

Ah, didn't realize there was a logs folder for the installer. I've attached the logs to this post and had a quick look myself. Seems this is the culprit (from fsoinstaller.log):

Code: [Select]
2014-05-15 09:17:16,844 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stdout: Done with 1 error.
2014-05-15 09:17:16,844 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr: stream error: failed opening file: Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden.
2014-05-15 09:17:16,844 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr:
2014-05-15 09:17:16,844 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr:
2014-05-15 09:17:16,844 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Could not extract files using innoextract!
java.io.IOException: InnoExtract reported exit code 2
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.runProcess(InnoExtractTask.java:192)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.innoExtractExtractFiles(InnoExtractTask.java:258)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.call(InnoExtractTask.java:128)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$3.call(InstallItem.java:363)
at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InstallItem$3.call(InstallItem.java:287)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Seems it's not able to open some path when trying to use InnoExtract to extract the contents of the GOG package. Not sure why that would happen. The involved paths are:

installers:
D:\Games\FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
D:\Games\setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe

target dir:
D:\Games\GOG\Freespace 2\

Oh, btw: when you hit cancel while being asked to locate the Freespace 2 GOG package, the installer tries to continue without installing FS2. If you then try to go back to select the GOG package again, the menu asking you about your FS2 installation doesn't come up anymore and you have to restart the installer to get that menu again.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:21:22 am by Arparso »

Offline Khenmu

Hi Goober,

Thanks for the awesome installer!

One small thing I've noticed is it seems to install 3.7.0 & 2014 MVPs. I thought they weren't compatible? I've been using 3.7.1 10275.

Sorry if noob, it's my first post. :P

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've attached the logs to this post and had a quick look myself. Seems this is the culprit (from fsoinstaller.log):

[...]

target dir:
D:\Games\GOG\Freespace 2\

Good detective work. :)  The issue is probably that your target path has spaces in it.  I'll make a new build later that will accommodate this.

EDIT: Build uploaded.  Try it again.

Oh, btw: when you hit cancel while being asked to locate the Freespace 2 GOG package, the installer tries to continue without installing FS2. If you then try to go back to select the GOG package again, the menu asking you about your FS2 installation doesn't come up anymore and you have to restart the installer to get that menu again.

Yes, this is intentional.  The installer doesn't re-do all the intensive configuration checks once they've completed the first time.

Hi Goober,

Thanks for the awesome installer!

One small thing I've noticed is it seems to install 3.7.0 & 2014 MVPs. I thought they weren't compatible? I've been using 3.7.1 10275.

Sorry if noob, it's my first post. :P

:welcome:

Correct, the 2014 MVPs are not compatible with 3.7.0.  That's why the 3.6.12 MVPs are also available (scroll down).

As I said in the first post, it is up to the mod makers to determine what they want to put in the Installer.  The current situation is rather awkward since 3.7.0 is the most recent official SCP release and 2014 is the most recent officlal MVP release, but this will clear up once 3.7.2 is out.  Alternatively, the SCP team could update their text file with the 3.7.2 RC1 builds.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:56:29 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Where's our text file?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Where's our text file?

http://scp.indiegames.us/scp_files.txt

I've uploaded version 2.1.3 with the following changes:
  • delete the temporary folder even if GOG installation fails
  • change orb scaling for non-stretched display on Linux
  • quote path, if necessary, when using InnoExtract
  • some text and code tweaks

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.3
Ok, I'll see if the release script can automate that some way too.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Sorry, double post, but is there support for multiple mirrors for the same file?  If so, is more advanced syntax like that in a wiki post somewhere yet?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You mean for the text file, or the downloaded files?  The wiki page has info on MULTIURL for the latter. I don't know about the former.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Thanks, just what I needed!  I'll have 3.7.2 RC1 in the installer shortly.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok, mirrors and hashes added for almost all SCP builds.  I gave it a test run, and two of the builds were corrupted on the first try, but not on the second.  Kind of odd, I don't usually get corrupted downloads from the mirrors.

Also, it seems only the .zip files are extracted, is there any plans for support for Bzip2, Gzip, DiskImage, 7z, etc support?  Otherwise we'll need to go back to zipping all FSO builds just for the installer which is really inefficient.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:43:43 am by chief1983 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
As I said in the first post, the Installer supports all formats that 7zip does.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So should these archives have been extracted automatically?  I have tar.bz2 and .dmg files after downloading all the SCP builds.