Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377667 times)

Offline qaraq

Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.7
Thanks for doing this. I had an installation from a couple of years ago that was a much bigger pain, so this is great to have.

I had one small problem during installation that I wanted to report just in case anyone else has the same issue. I've seen it mentioned in passing here and there but not set down in one place. So I hope this is helpful to someone.

I'm doing a brand new install to a clean directory, using the GOG installer. I'm running Windows 7. I accepted the default directory name "Freespace 2" but placed it in "D:\games\flightsims\Freespace 2". Everything but the GOG installer worked OK, but that part logged an InnoExtract error:

2014-07-02 21:13:47,260 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - Command to run: innoextract.exe --quiet --list E:\installers\games\GoG\freespace_2\setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe
2014-07-02 21:13:47,461 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - ...done
2014-07-02 21:13:47,462 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Extracting 243 files...
2014-07-02 21:13:47,462 [pool-1-thread-1] DEBUG com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - Detected Windows; using CMD.EXE...
2014-07-02 21:13:47,462 [pool-1-thread-1] INFO  com.fsoinstaller.utils.MiscUtils - Command to run: innoextract.exe --quiet --output-dir "D:\games\flightsims\Freespace 2\7b0eab4643ad460b8307e8e23f5173ac" E:\installers\games\GoG\freespace_2\setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe
[... trimmed the innoextract usage message, in both DEBUG and ERROR level logs ...]
2014-07-02 21:13:47,536 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr: Error parsing command-line: the argument ('D:\games\flightsims\Freespace 2\7b0eab4643ad460b8307e8e23f5173ac') for option '--dir' is invalid
2014-07-02 21:13:47,536 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr:
2014-07-02 21:13:47,536 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Could not extract files using innoextract!
java.io.IOException: InnoExtract reported exit code 1
   at com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask.runProcess(InnoExtractTask.java:215)

On a hunch I renamed my install directory to 'Freespace2' and tried again, and that worked fine. I'd think it would have been fine because of the quotes around the path, but I'm a Unix guy and not an expert on the windows shell. My setup must be unusual (maybe the extra path element?). I didn't test with an equally long path but no space, so maybe it's a length issue not a space issue; the install path is 32 characters without the hex junk and 64 with it, and things going wrong around powers of 2 make me nervous.

(watch, not the very next thread I read is going to be a huge blinking warning about this I somehow missed before.  :))

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, phooey.  Yes, the quotes should have accommodated this.  It's possible that this is a bug in innoextract... that the path with a space failed to work despite being quoted properly when passed to the program.  Don't worry about the hex junk; that's just a UUID to ensure a unique extraction directory.

Would you mind running a few tests using innoextract?  First, run the extraction command outside of the FSO Installer, using the same path, right on the command prompt, and see if you get the same error.  If you do, then try running the command again, but this time quoting just the "Freespace 2" part instead of the entire path.

Offline qaraq

Running directly from the command line using the same arguments gives the invalid argument error if there is a space in the output-dir option:

D:\games\flightsims\fs2orig>innoextract.exe --quiet --output-dir "D:\games\flightsims\freespace 2" E:\installers\games\GoG\freespace_2\setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe
Error parsing command-line: the argument ('D:\games\flightsims\freespace 2') for option '--dir' is invalid

Looks like the --dir error message is itself a small bug, though not affecting this.

Quoting just the "Freespace 2" was a little weird: but didn't work either:

D:\games\flightsims\fs2orig>innoextract.exe --quiet --output-dir D:\games\flightsims\"Freespace 2" E:\installers\games\GoG\freespace_2\setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe
could not create output directory "D:\games\flightsims&"Freespace"

D:\games\flightsims\fs2orig>innoextract.exe --quiet --output-dir D:\games\flightsims\\"Freespace 2" E:\installers\games\GoG\freespace_2\setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe
Error parsing command-line: the argument ('D:\games\flightsims\Freespace 2') for option '--dir' is invalid

I tried a slightly different target dir "test foo" with the same result, and the same if I put it in "D:\Freespace 2" instead of the deeper path.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks for your tests.  Historically, PCs have not been fond of spaces in path names, which is why recommend against them (and why the default path is C:\Games\FreeSpace2, not C:\Games\FreeSpace 2).  But most recent Windows programs are able to handle this if quotes are used.  Anyway, I've contacted the author of innoextract to see what he thinks.

Offline qaraq

Hm, I thought I'd left  it at the default with a space, but now I figure I must have changed it the first time I ran the installer- I pointed it at my old install directory that I'd cleaned out but not renamed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Okay, the author of innoextract has confirmed that there's a bug in the program.  He'll have a fix in the next release.  In the meantime, if you use the Installer to extract the GOG setup package, don't extract it to a path containing spaces.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.8
I've uploaded version 2.1.8 with the following changes:
  • Allow reopening of HTTP streams using the Range parameter so that we don't need to seek through the entire file first (this removes the long wait before 7z downloads begin, which should cut 50% off the total download time)
  • Removed the prompt to copy an installation from another location, now that 3.7.2 RC3 is out -- though it's still there and can be reactivated if needed
  • Fix some idiosyncracies with the file copy task (dialogs appearing out of order, and copy progress measured in number of files rather than total bytes), though that is now overcome by events
  • Minor additional logging if temporary files aren't deleted as expecte, or if file modification times aren't set as expected
  • Some tweaks for improved cross-platform support

This does not yet have the innoextract bugfix, but I'll add that as soon as the author releases a new version.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:16:09 am by Goober5000 »

i'm find this file.
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/filenames.txt

and it comment out this line:
http://fsport.hard-light.net/installer/fsport.txt

it seem to prevent fsport install...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
i'm find this file.
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/filenames.txt

and it comment out this line:
http://fsport.hard-light.net/installer/fsport.txt

it seem to prevent fsport install...

Yes, the FSPort files were disabled for a time, due to mirror overload.  With the new HTTP seek feature and the rollover of the mirrors into the next month, these mirrors should be re-enabled soon.

EDIT: FSPort is now re-enabled.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:54:31 pm by Goober5000 »

it gived this error
The following error was encountered:

Enhanced Graphics: The hash value for 'blueplanet\adv-bp.vp' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.

Offline Axem

Try the download again, the installer.txt and the actual VP md5s match so the download might have gone wrong.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I had the same issue with BP Enhanced Graphics, but the 3rd time I tried it worked beautifully! 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Ariel

just wanted to add something that: when it's downloade the recent builds of  freespace open  my virus protection identefied some of the builds as viruses.

currently i only have the  cds from 1999 (yeah very old)   when  will be a version that supports the disks?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
just wanted to add something that: when it's downloade the recent builds of  freespace open  my virus protection identefied some of the builds as viruses.

You should be posting in the SCP forum about that.  We don't put viruses in FSO, so those are probably false positives.  (It is technically possible that the hosting site has been compromised and the builds affected, but that is extremely unlikely.)

currently i only have the  cds from 1999 (yeah very old)   when  will be a version that supports the disks?

That might happen sometime in the future, but it isn't a priority.  I have a large number of other projects I need to turn my attention to first.

However, if someone submits a patch for CD support, I'd be happy to look at it.

I'm running OS X 10.9.3.  The mods mostly installed just fine, but the innoextract piece is failing:

Install FreeSpace 2 from GOG package: An error occurred while examining the GOG package using InnoExtract.  The file may not be a valid GOG setup file, or the system may have been unable to launch InnoExtract.  Check the log file for more details.
Copy GOG cutscenes to the data directory used by FreeSpace Open: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
MV_RadarIcons: The file 'MV_RadarIcons.7z' could not be downloaded.

I played around with innoextract manually and couldn't get the command "innoextract-1.4-osx --quiet --list /Applications/FreeSpace2/setup_freespace2_2.0.0.8.exe" (taken from the log file) to work.  However, if I put the full path to innoextract-1.4-osx (i.e. I put it in the Applications folder, so "/Applications/innoextract-1.4-osx") that worked fine and it gave me a listing of the files in the .exe.

I tried editing InstallerUtils.class by hand to add the full path but that's where I reached the limit of my abilities.  Help?

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Could you attach a zip of your logs folder?

Could you attach a zip of your logs folder?

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bleh.  Linux (and I guess Linux-derived shells on OSX) has a weird "feature" where an executable will not be found in the working directory unless you fully specify the directory name, you use ./, or the executable is in the path.

I've implemented something that will hopefully fix this.  Try this build:
http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/temp/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
what's so weird about not automatically having the current working directory in the PATH? :p

(And IIRC its not so much a Linux thing as a shell thing, all the way back to the original Unix systems)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Bleh.  Linux (and I guess Linux-derived shells on OSX) has a weird "feature" where an executable will not be found in the working directory unless you fully specify the directory name, you use ./, or the executable is in the path.

I've implemented something that will hopefully fix this.  Try this build:
http://staff.hard-light.net/goober5000/temp/FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar

I think we're getting closer.  Now I think it might be running into OSX's protections against programs downloaded from the internet.  From the log file:
2014-08-07 06:16:32,144 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - stderr: /bin/sh: /Applications/FreeSpace2/fcf7658203b64e63beb5e0f6776f50a7/innoextract-1.4-osx: Permission denied
2014-08-07 06:16:32,144 [pool-1-thread-1] ERROR com.fsoinstaller.wizard.InnoExtractTask - Could not obtain file listing using innoextract!
java.io.IOException: InnoExtract reported exit code 126

I've attached the logs again.  As a side note, I set Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere (Gatekeeper, if you're familiar with OS X) so I don't think that's it. 

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]