Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 377716 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.3
I'm glad to see this is still being maintained. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'll keep fixing any bugs that I find.  That being said, I also depend on mod authors to keep their mods up to date.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I planned to do this, at least :)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

I tried searching this thread and I’m still a bit confused. Does the installer build wxlauncher for me on Linux, or does it just download the source and I still need to build it myself?  With all the problems Knossos is giving me, I was looking for an alternative launcher for FSOpen.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Installer downloads the setup program for wxLauncher, which you can then run.  Alternatively, you can download the setup program for wxLauncher here.

Offline CT27

Is there a chance the newly released VPs (4.0) could get put on the Installer?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It is up to the individual mod authors to put their mods on the Installer, same as with Knossos.  I said as much here.

However, I have access to the MediaVP text file, so if nobody from the FSU project is willing to update it, I can take care of it.

I'm a bit late replying, but thanks for the guidance, Goober.  Work was pretty intense this week, and I barely booted my PC up at all until today.  Unfortunately, I still could not figure out how to "install" wxLauncher in Linux, but I think this is down to me just being pig ignorant regarding this OS and the way things are done in it.  I've seen that someone has made a tutorial for CMAKE somewhere on the forum.  Assuming I survive to Christmas vacation, I'll spend some more time teaching myself how to do this the right way rather than just mooching off repositories.

Which is what I finally did and was able to get to work.  Somewhat.  The wxLauncher deb I found has a somewhat strange version number "0.11.0+dfsg-1"  And for reasons I cannot figure out, the FSO ... what do you call them in Linux?  Are they still considered "binaries" or "executables?"  I don't even know the right lingo for this thing.  Anyway, for reasons I can't figure out, the FSO Linux executables downloaded by the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller did not work.  Wouldn't recognize my joystick.  Wouldn't show anything under the "advanced" tab in wxLauncher (no flag options).  But when I copied the ones Knossos downloaded over, they worked just fine in wxLauncher!  So I'm a lot better off than I was before.  Still pretty clueless, but I've got something that works!  So, thanks to Goober, tomimaki, Chief1983, and everyone else who helped out over the several threads I posted to.

Hopefully, eventually whatever is wrong with Knossos and Linux Mint gets figured out.  That thing just makes it all so easy I honestly didn't even think that much about how much it was doing in the background.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

And for reasons I cannot figure out, the FSO ... what do you call them in Linux?  Are they still considered "binaries" or "executables?"  I don't even know the right lingo for this thing.  Anyway, for reasons I can't figure out, the FSO Linux executables downloaded by the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller did not work.  Wouldn't recognize my joystick.  Wouldn't show anything under the "advanced" tab in wxLauncher (no flag options).  But when I copied the ones Knossos downloaded over, they worked just fine in wxLauncher!
Probably binaries from FreeSpaceOpenInstaller doesn't have execute permissions.
In terminal
Code: [Select]
chmod +x ./path/to/file/filename(some more info about chmod)

or right click on file, properties -> permissions --> checkbox allow executing file as program

As for version number "0.11.0+dfsg-1". It's wxlauncher 0.11.0, rest is naming scheme for debian. Dunno why debian package maintainer never updated to 0.12.0rc3. But it still works so doesn't matter. I only compile fso builds from time to time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:37:13 am by tomimaki »

Offline Sutehp

Ok, new poster here.

I'm replaying FS1 and FS2 after almost two decades since I played both games the first time. I'm trying to play FS1 on the FS2 engine but I've hit a wall. I installed the FreespaceOpenInstaller but how do I actually get this thing to run so that I can play FS1 on the FS2 engine? Since the "noob-friendly" Guide to Installing FreeSpace 2 Open is obsolete, I could use some pointers on how to get FS1 as FS2 to run.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not any kind of computer programmer, so please keep the instructions simple. I'm looking in my GOG/Freespace 2 folder and I'm not seeing Launcher.exe. However, I *am* seeing "fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2_SSE2-FASTDBG" and "fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2_SSE2" in my GOG/Freespace 2 folder. What do I do next?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Honestly, use knossos (link in my sig). It's easier and more user friendly. Think Steam.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Sutehp

Ok, installed Knossos, and I just found the option to enable my joystick. Testing it now.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:45:09 pm by Sutehp »

Knossos promotion in th topic of the other installer

kek.jpg

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ok, new poster here.

I'm replaying FS1 and FS2 after almost two decades since I played both games the first time. I'm trying to play FS1 on the FS2 engine but I've hit a wall. I installed the FreespaceOpenInstaller but how do I actually get this thing to run so that I can play FS1 on the FS2 engine? Since the "noob-friendly" Guide to Installing FreeSpace 2 Open is obsolete, I could use some pointers on how to get FS1 as FS2 to run.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not any kind of computer programmer, so please keep the instructions simple. I'm looking in my GOG/Freespace 2 folder and I'm not seeing Launcher.exe. However, I *am* seeing "fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2_SSE2-FASTDBG" and "fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2_SSE2" in my GOG/Freespace 2 folder. What do I do next?

1) Using the FSO Installer, install FreeSpace Open, the FreeSpace Port, and wxLauncher.

2) Install wxLauncher.

3) Using wxLauncher, select your fs2_open application (in this case fs2_open_19_0_0_RC2_SSE2) and the FreeSpace Port mod.  Then configure your settings (graphics resolution etc.) and launch the game.

Using Knossos is fine, but it's a good idea to make sure the original question is answered too.

Honestly, use knossos (link in my sig). It's easier and more user friendly. Think Steam.
It really is, when it’s working. Unfortunately there is something seriously wrong with the Linux implementations at the moment. At least the pre-built 0.13.3 I can get from the repository.  I’m having to use a hybrid of Knossos, FSOInstaller, and a package of wxLauncher I happened to find to get all mods working. So, I’m very much glad multiple options are still available.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
One thing I'm most assuredly not getting is The Second Great War, Part II. Apparently from what I've gleaned from comments (located even in its own Details page!) about it is that it so utterly went past So Bad, It's Good and went all the way to So Bad, It's Terrible. Just blowing stuff up is boring after a while; it's the story of a video game that keeps me coming back. One of the reasons the Freespace games still have a special place in my heart is the story. Without that, a space sim is just an arcade game (though without the need to spend a bunch of quarters). :doubt:

SGWP2 is great!  What other campaign out there has you blow up three Sathanas juggerauts?!

...in the same mission?!

...in subspace?!

SGWP2 had some very stupid ideas, others seemed quite fine like the "you're on the wrong side of a collapsed node", but then there's this stupid endless wave spawning like in Derelict...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.4
I've uploaded version 2.3.4 with the following changes:

• Fix compatibility with the new HLP server
  • Fix a bug in task cancellation

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5
Version 2.3.5 is now released, with the following changes:

• A PR from Spongman to work around a Java bug that prevented mod.ini files from being downloaded

Also thanks to Spongman, there is now a GitHub workflow that will create a build whenever a new commit is pushed or a PR merged.  Builds can be downloaded from here.