Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.3  (Read 193863 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.3
I'm glad to see this is still being maintained. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'll keep fixing any bugs that I find.  That being said, I also depend on mod authors to keep their mods up to date.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I planned to do this, at least :)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.

Responsible for the german translation project FreiRaum - FreeSpace auf Deutsch.
Also responsible for the Nova Upgrade Project, which upgrades and fix older campaigns to make them play- and solveable again with current builds and MediaVPs.

Release List:
German Translations:
Awakenings, Between the Ashes 1, Deneb III, FreeSpace 2 (in development), FreeSpace Port, Silent Threat: Reborn & The Destiny of Peace

Nova Upgrades:
A Walk in the Sun, Into the Halls of Valhalla, Luyten Civil War, Renegade Resurgence, Revenge: Final Conflict (in development), Rogues!, Shadow Genesis (de-facto), Storm Front Saga, The Deuterium Connection, Venice Mirror & What If: Another Great War

I tried searching this thread and Iā€™m still a bit confused. Does the installer build wxlauncher for me on Linux, or does it just download the source and I still need to build it myself?  With all the problems Knossos is giving me, I was looking for an alternative launcher for FSOpen.
"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day to day living that wears you out." ā€“ Anton Chekhov

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Installer downloads the setup program for wxLauncher, which you can then run.  Alternatively, you can download the setup program for wxLauncher here.

Offline CT27

Is there a chance the newly released VPs (4.0) could get put on the Installer?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
  • Administrator
    • Goober5000 Productions
It is up to the individual mod authors to put their mods on the Installer, same as with Knossos.  I said as much here.

However, I have access to the MediaVP text file, so if nobody from the FSU project is willing to update it, I can take care of it.

I'm a bit late replying, but thanks for the guidance, Goober.  Work was pretty intense this week, and I barely booted my PC up at all until today.  Unfortunately, I still could not figure out how to "install" wxLauncher in Linux, but I think this is down to me just being pig ignorant regarding this OS and the way things are done in it.  I've seen that someone has made a tutorial for CMAKE somewhere on the forum.  Assuming I survive to Christmas vacation, I'll spend some more time teaching myself how to do this the right way rather than just mooching off repositories.

Which is what I finally did and was able to get to work.  Somewhat.  The wxLauncher deb I found has a somewhat strange version number "0.11.0+dfsg-1"  And for reasons I cannot figure out, the FSO ... what do you call them in Linux?  Are they still considered "binaries" or "executables?"  I don't even know the right lingo for this thing.  Anyway, for reasons I can't figure out, the FSO Linux executables downloaded by the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller did not work.  Wouldn't recognize my joystick.  Wouldn't show anything under the "advanced" tab in wxLauncher (no flag options).  But when I copied the ones Knossos downloaded over, they worked just fine in wxLauncher!  So I'm a lot better off than I was before.  Still pretty clueless, but I've got something that works!  So, thanks to Goober, tomimaki, Chief1983, and everyone else who helped out over the several threads I posted to.

Hopefully, eventually whatever is wrong with Knossos and Linux Mint gets figured out.  That thing just makes it all so easy I honestly didn't even think that much about how much it was doing in the background.
"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day to day living that wears you out." ā€“ Anton Chekhov

And for reasons I cannot figure out, the FSO ... what do you call them in Linux?  Are they still considered "binaries" or "executables?"  I don't even know the right lingo for this thing.  Anyway, for reasons I can't figure out, the FSO Linux executables downloaded by the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller did not work.  Wouldn't recognize my joystick.  Wouldn't show anything under the "advanced" tab in wxLauncher (no flag options).  But when I copied the ones Knossos downloaded over, they worked just fine in wxLauncher!
Probably binaries from FreeSpaceOpenInstaller doesn't have execute permissions.
In terminal
Code: [Select]
chmod +x ./path/to/file/filename(some more info about chmod)

or right click on file, properties -> permissions --> checkbox allow executing file as program

As for version number "0.11.0+dfsg-1". It's wxlauncher 0.11.0, rest is naming scheme for debian. Dunno why debian package maintainer never updated to 0.12.0rc3. But it still works so doesn't matter. I only compile fso builds from time to time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:37:13 am by tomimaki »