Author Topic: The Big Bad HLP Sex and Dating Thread  (Read 34573 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The Big Bad HLP Sex and Dating Thread
the idea comes from the person behind it. you spawned the idea, it's a reflection of yourself, or else it's call schyzophrenia ( dunno the spelling in english )
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
hehehe...check out some "analytic philosophy" books and you will see what a silly statement that was. :D For the purposes of the argument, it makes no difference at all who I am.

I did??  Zoinks! I've got to see this! (You see, I'm still catching up and therefore not entirely aware of what is going on).

Yeah, remember in that old "oh hell" thread? :D

However, I could be about to agree with you again: In all likelihood, you could bring about changes in large populations that now seem impossible. After all, abortion, suicide and euthanasia have all been view by various societies as unfathomable and abhorrent at one time or another, yet today they are subjects in the realm of public discourse or frequently practised. Although my rationale isn't mathematical, I can see how a campaign of coercion, propaganda and free exchanges of information plus erosion of retroactive forces such as religion could besuccessful in getting people to adopt or stop certain behaviours. It gets easier once people start doing it too, because of group conformity pressures and demystification.

Exactly; I agree with just about everything there.

However, getting people to adopt a behaviour is sometimes easier than getting them to give it up, as you may have noticed. Racism was relatively easy to instill, but getting rid of it is a tremendous challenge.

Yeah, it need to be emotionally appealing, but the nice thing in this case is that those who refuse to accept the new system will end up falling up behind and will be unable to compete. ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2002, 06:47:10 am by 296 »

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by CP5670
hehehe...check out some "analytic philosophy" books and you will see what a silly statement that was. :D For the purposes of the argument, it makes no difference at all who I am.

her, I have better things to do ( well, I'm supposed to work right now, I'm at college :lol: ), be thankful I'm not basing all my beliefs ( in a non religious way ) on art as you do on maths ;)
Do you like chocolate?
SCREW CANON!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
her, I have better things to do ( well, I'm supposed to work right now, I'm at college :lol: ), be thankful I'm not basing all my beliefs ( in a non religious way ) on art as you do on maths ;)
Do you like chocolate?

I'm on my summer break, so I have some time. :D Regarding chocolate, it's okay I guess.

Offline Nico

• Venom

I'm on my summer break, so I have some time. :D  

well, there's at least one thing I'd like to have in common with you :(
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Yeah, it need to be emotionally appealing, but the nice thing in this case is that those who refuse to accept the new system will end up falling up behind and will be unable to compete. ;)

The old "once you've opened up Pandora's box..." argument. Imagine if somebody refused to use cars, like the most orthodox Mormons do - and as a result, you don't see them as a dominant force in, well, anything. The same priniciple can be applied to other technological creations and I have no doubt that unless (and probably in spite of) strenuous regulation of the cloning and biotech sectors is employed, it will prove no different. CP would find his views expressed to an extent in the film Gattaca; an ordinary person in a world where people have moved beyond the ordinary would have to work very hard just to keep pace with their 'normality'.

Regarding what you said about what was natural, I assume that your line of argument is that since the dawn of our species humans seem to have had an innate ability and drive to innovate, create tools and use them. Therefore, the construction of spaceships, cloning technology or ball-point pens is just an extension of that first innate ability, and is therefore a product of 'nature'. Am I correct (or at least on the right lines?) :)

It occurs to me, CP, that we're not so different. I can see the merits of what you're saying with regard to manipulation of people's minds through propaganda, improving people's bodies, the fact that overarching society will crush inviduality, and even the criticisms of nihilism. However, the difference is that I'm still unwilling to accept them as the only option, or the best option. Perhaps you view my priorities and motivations as being in the wrong place, but at least I can understand your views to an extent - even if I disagree with them strongly on moral and ideological grounds.

I'm not saying that to start an argument - just observing it. :p

Offline Nico

• Venom
I wouldn't say no to a neural implant, a "female thoughts" translator :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Hmmm, you guys arguing with CP need to learn something, it's a little adage that I once read that's saved me a lot of time and angst it is simply:

Never argue with a person who knows they are right.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Never argue with a person who knows they are right.

Although the concepts of right and wrong as far as the validity of an untestable statement are based on the results of arguments. I cannot of course know whether or not I am right, but the purpose of the argument is to settle that, so keep on arguing! :D

Regarding what you said about what was natural, I assume that your line of argument is that since the dawn of our species humans seem to have had an innate ability and drive to innovate, create tools and use them. Therefore, the construction of spaceships, cloning technology or ball-point pens is just an extension of that first innate ability, and is therefore a product of 'nature'. Am I correct (or at least on the right lines?)

Exactly; this is quite similar to what I was thinking of. All universal processes (including human affairs) are natural because they are all unseparable parts of the universe, which is the definition of "natural." ;) (or in other words, nothing can be unnatural)

It occurs to me, CP, that we're not so different. I can see the merits of what you're saying with regard to manipulation of people's minds through propaganda, improving people's bodies, the fact that overarching society will crush inviduality, and even the criticisms of nihilism. However, the difference is that I'm still unwilling to accept them as the only option, or the best option. Perhaps you view my priorities and motivations as being in the wrong place, but at least I can understand your views to an extent - even if I disagree with them strongly on moral and ideological grounds.

Hey, good enough; that is still a much better statement than most people provide. ;)

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Originally posted by Maeglamor
Hmmm, you guys arguing with CP need to learn something, it's a little adage that I once read that's saved me a lot of time and angst it is simply:

You mean "thinks they know that theyre right"

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Thorn

You mean "thinks they know that theyre right"

Nah. A person who knows that they are right will never give creedence to your ideas since if the ideas are different they have to be wrong.

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

Nah. A person who knows that they are right will never give creedence to your ideas since if the ideas are different they have to be wrong.

:lol:
Got Ether?

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
Too true.  No amount of arguing will ever change CP's opinion.  I guess we'll have to accept it.  We can disagree with it of course, though a mutual respect will have to be given, unless we all want to waste the rest of our lives bickering.  ^^
~Delta

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Meh, I just noticed that this has grown a few pages since my last post... I don't have the time to waste reading back trhough all of it, must work.

:sigh:
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
...Why does it take at least 11 posts saying the exact same thing to consider something said here? Really, no wonder everyone gets bored and screws up these threads- if you have nothing to say but a rephrase of what someone said perfectly well the first time, you can probably fill in the time you spend here getting a job as a stenographer.

Nooow... damn, I can't think of anything that won't get crapped here in short order. Never mind.

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Hmmm, you guys arguing with CP need to learn something, it's a little adage that I once read that's saved me a lot of time and [/i]angst[/i]...

It saved you time and fear? :confused: :D

Sorry, I just like pointing out to people from time to time that the word angst is German for fear, and is not a proper English word - or it's a malapropism. Anyway, I don't like it. Reminds me too much of "feel my angst!!!" bands... ;)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Angst:  A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
:wtf:

Oh! I see... you know, Kellan, I couldn't see the blue letters in your sig at first, and it looked like some admin couldn't spell and had a wierd sense of humor...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net

Actually, while sex was indeed necessary up to now, the cloning and other artificial systems will invalidate it very soon. And it would actually be interesting as hell because then everyone would focus on other things, such as the pursuit of knowledge. ;7

you need a sex life, seriously

you're like the dude that runs San Angeles in Demolition Man, you're going to be a 50 year old virgin
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Originally posted by Kazan

you're like the dude that runs San Angeles in Demolition Man, you're going to be a 50 year old virgin

THAT'S a good one!