Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 178026 times)

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
That's amazing work you've got there. :eek2:

Those look RAD. Keep it up!

Offline UndyingNephalim

After messing with APNGs the other day I sort of had an epiphany:

Since animated joints are not really possible in Freepspace 2 it kind of put an end to me portraying large armies duking it out on the ground. Buuuutttt I can kind of have it halfway using animated sprites in the background. Naturally this has all sorts of other applications, like having animated sprites for fleets battling to make the scale of conflicts look larger without the framerate crashing.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Wow that's very cool! I'm very interested in the detailed technical aspects of what's being done here. Did you use animated pngs or something and then used show effect or something?

Offline UndyingNephalim

Wow that's very cool! I'm very interested in the detailed technical aspects of what's being done here. Did you use animated pngs or something and then used show effect or something?

Yep, they are a pre-rendered and packed into an apng, much like the talking portraits. As objects they are just a flat plane and set far into the distance of a level. I initially tried to make them background elements like a planet or nebula but the animation doesnt seem to play in that case.

Did you tried using skyboxes for that kind of effect?

Offline UndyingNephalim

See y'all in a few months!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Great Universe...

How this is even possible on FSO o__O. Dude, your work denies any words I want to use to describe it. Whatever you do to achieve it, keep doing that!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

See y'all in a few months!

holy **** dude that looks amazing

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How is this stuff not constantly on the front page showing what FSO can do?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline UndyingNephalim

The fact that I vanish for 5 months between posts, probably.  :pimp:

Oh my oh my :jaw:

The fact that I vanish for 5 months between posts, probably.  :pimp:

Still it feels like some sort of horrible heresy.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well, browsing through the comment of the video and I'm still getting a lot of "I can't read any of the text comments!"
How exactly do I make the actual text itself much larger than currently in Freespace? I've used Axem's Scripted Message gauge and made $ScaleGauges = True, but while that makes the background behind the text and the UI around it larger I don't think it's making the actual text itself any larger.

You can specify custom fonts (and their size) here: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Fonts.tbl

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
In addition to adding a new larger font you also need to tell the HUD gauge to use it in the hud gauges table (I dealt with that with FotG). I would be happy to give more detail and specifics if needed!

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
This looks incredible!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Well, browsing through the comment of the video and I'm still getting a lot of "I can't read any of the text comments!"
How exactly do I make the actual text itself much larger than currently in Freespace? I've used Axem's Scripted Message gauge and made $ScaleGauges = True, but while that makes the background behind the text and the UI around it larger I don't think it's making the actual text itself any larger.

What made it hard to read was mostly the video's compression, IMO. There were many moments during which the text became blurry and pixelated.
Potato!

I'm not sure if the old pixel fonts rendered well on all 4k systems.

Offline UndyingNephalim

In addition to adding a new larger font you also need to tell the HUD gauge to use it in the hud gauges table (I dealt with that with FotG). I would be happy to give more detail and specifics if needed!

That would be nice, considering I can't even find a font.tbl file.  :lol:

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."