Author Topic: What does HLP need more of?  (Read 12389 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
What sort of assets (campaigns/models/scripts/tutorials/etc.) do you think that HLP's modders need more of? What notable gaps, if any, have you found in our collection of assets? What old stuff could really use an update?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Re: What does HLP need more of?
hlp needs more uvmap slaves
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Axem is already throwing around a whole load of wunderbar tutorials. Thats covered.
Scripts are generally being supplied by our talented scripters when needed too.
Vasudan models probably?
Campaigns in general, there seems to be a big lack of new content being created recently.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Only assets? If so I'd say we need more civillian type ships of both vasudans and terrans. If not then definitely more fredders.
el hombre vicio...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Assets
 - Civilians
 - Ships with different/unusual roles
 - Shivan everything
 - Vasudan most things

UV mapping and texturing in general is in a shortage (modelers are fairly easy to find but good uv/texturers are like gold dust)

and like spoon says new campaigns
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How about tools?  Is there serious demand for a POF plugin for Blender?  Are there any particular shortcomings in the current workflow that could be solved by such a plugin, or should our efforts instead go toward creating a Collada spec that FreeSpace can use?

Spoiler:
I have a POF plugin for Blender about half finished and have been neglecting it for several months.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think FREDers are what we need most.  Many other issues/shortfalls can be worked around, but no FRED == no missions to play.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I think FREDers are what we need most.  Many other issues/shortfalls can be worked around, but no FRED == no missions to play.

Too true. Problem is, it takes a long time to mod and FRED a quality campaign these days. Gone are the days when you can just throw some capships and respawning bomber waves together and call it a mission. The sheer amount of work involved forces even HLP's pros to wait years between releases.

Hopefully, our influx of new talent from Steam will learn FRED and give us some cool campaigns. I just hope they aren't too daunted by the very high campaign standards we've set for ourselves.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How about a list of the most time consuming / tedious parts of Fredding good campaigns?

Then, can anything be done in FRED or elsewhere to make that less difficult and /or time consuming?

Templates? Better interface? What?

We do have auto-save, right?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Most of the time I spend freding is divided up between the events window and testing.  It's all about getting your logic right and giving something worthwhile to the player. 

It could be interesting to have user-defined event templates.  Maybe you just figured out a bit of sexp magic and you don't want to have to go back to that mission to grab it.  Ta-da! Just save the relevant portion in a sexp template!

There is already copy and paste, however, which helps in a lot of cases. 

Offline Darius

What would make FREDing nicer is copy-pasting sexps between different instances of FRED. At the moment the process goes: open a mission, wait for it to load, open events editor, copy, open new mission, wait, open events editor, paste. I'm not familiar enough with event syntax to do a similar process in notepad.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Waiting on wxFRED myself, most of the problems regarding fredding are gonna be resolved with it IIRC.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
more campaigns to be added to the installer.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline CT27

Campaigns in general, there seems to be a big lack of new content being created recently.

I understand what you mean by this and understand how you feel, but I think we should also give credit to Macfie and the FSCRP team.  They're constantly updating old campaigns to make them playable on modern builds.  Currently they're working on Procyon Insurgency.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Okay, so what can we do to get more FREDders?

Obviously Axem and I can make additional tutorials on how to use FRED but does that actually help us get more FREDders or is that actually having the effect of making our FREDders make better but more complicated and time consuming campaigns? To be honest, I suspect that the latter is what is going on. It's a good thing, but it does mean we get less campaigns as a result.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Do people around here prefer to wait years for super-awesome campaigns with all the bells and whistles? Or would they be willing to accept some less-fancy campaigns, if that meant more releases and less of the between-megaprojects drought we're seeing these days? Of course, I'm well aware that the level of a campaign's complexity is up to individual FREDders, but what would people personally prefer?

It's not like you don't have anything to play if people don't constantly release FS2 campaigns. I'm sure almost every PC gamer has at least 20 games on their backlog at all times. That and all the mods that get released for whatever else might be in your library and it's hard to see why you'd want to have a constant stream of mediocre content for FS2 specifically. I'd much rather just wait for really good content.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Do people around here prefer to wait years for super-awesome campaigns with all the bells and whistles? Or would they be willing to accept some less-fancy campaigns, if that meant more releases and less of the between-megaprojects drought we're seeing these days? Of course, I'm well aware that the level of a campaign's complexity is up to individual FREDders, but what would people personally prefer?

I know a lot of people simply don't take it up. They open up a mission in WiH and spend some time looking at the events and decide the bar is too high now. They're not completely wrong, either.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Only assets? If so I'd say we need more civillian type ships of both vasudans and terrans. If not then definitely more fredders.

This. More civvy ships. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Luis Dias

Perhaps the issue isn't exactly complexity and so on, but mere originality and good taste. It's not a surprise people are tired of 5-10 event FS2 missions. But good fredding is good fredding. I enjoyed your battleship missions quite a lot.