Author Topic: FS References You've Made?  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
We know about Battuta's Destiny ships. Has anyone else here slipped any FreeSpace references into your non-HLP projects?

I've written minor NPCs based on Steele and Misuzu into an MLP-based free MMO. :)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: FS References You've Made?
- I was inspirated by one of the Ancient monologues writing one important text in my dark fantasy novel.
- Main hero uses somekind of dark energy to fight, and his favorite form is "The Beam" [and U exactly know how I picure it :P]
- Commanding officer of one of the zeppelin fleets is named Fleetmaster Calderar
[Yeah, Abyssi Magister will be published in USA and other countries as well... One day :P]
- Beam glow of the Anchorage from Shadow Genesis was used in my school project... That later become my fb avatar.
- Antares background from Shadow Genesis is background picture of my brother's fb account.
- Brief5 from FS2 was used two times in power point presentations in high school.

And probably others. This game shaped my whole life :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:01:23 pm by Betrayal »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We know about Battuta's Destiny ships. Has anyone else here slipped any FreeSpace references into your non-HLP projects?

I've written minor NPCs based on Steele and Misuzu into an MLP-based free MMO. :)
Hah cool!

I don't actually have had any non-HLP projects going, so it's hard for me to put any references into them  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
In a tabletop game I'm GMing, I added a character named "Commandant Titanium", whose flagship is the "Menelaus". Of course, none of my players have ever played Blue Planet, so the reference was pretty much solely for my own benefit, but it still amused me.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
EV NOVA

Frigate i bought is named:

GTFg                                                                  Iris
   /\                                                                     /\
FreeSpace designation                                Name of my most successful ship in Starsector,designated WDFg Iris(Wolf-class if anyone interested)
                                                                                                                                                          (WarDog's Frigate)
Apart from that,none.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
My coworkers recognize by ear at least three different things from the Main Campaign. They just don't know it yet.

"You tell me pilot, I'm informed on a need to know basis." was once used to annoy interns around the office via autoplaying in their email. I've long since stopped, but I still hear it occasionally when I'm down that way, leading me to believe others have picked it up.

The names of various craft in Rogue Trader and Deathwatch campaigns I've run have been GTVA ships, among other sources.

I used the nodemap for an initial reference on several Bureau cruiser names in In The Service; the naming scheme ultimately carried over to Life After Hayate.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Heh, nice to know that I'm not alone in slipping the love of FreeSpace into everything!  :D

Speaking of 40k roleplaying, I once ran a Dark Heresy campaign where the players defected to the Neo-Imperial Front rebellion, which had allied with the Vasudans a Necron dynasty, gave the players guns including the ID-7 Kayser, and had an ultimate plan involving the TAKI device.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!

Now when you look up 'hard light' the first thing you get is a bunch of video reviews of dedicated gamers talking about an FPS carbine that presumably shoots 'hard light'.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Unfortunately that one's got nothing to do with FS/HLP.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
I once did a geometry project in middle school using the Freespace briefing to create shapes because I'm just that different >.>
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I totally would have if I wasn't entirely uncreative, but at the very least I've been in situation where I've had to fight the urge to yell out select quotes.  And I've really wanted to use :headz: references, but no one else would get them. :(

What MMO is that?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Legends of Equestria. For any bronies here, next open server, tour the Heartlands and you might spot some familiar-looking characters.  ;7