Author Topic: WoD discussion thread  (Read 52780 times)

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
I can highly recommend old WoD. It's got everything you could want in a Freespace 2 conversion: Interesting missions, sweet ships and a killer soundtrack. Wings of Dawn deserves all the love it can get.

Offline LoneFan

I can highly recommend old WoD. It's got everything you could want in a Freespace 2 conversion: Interesting missions, sweet ships and a killer soundtrack. Wings of Dawn deserves all the love it can get.
That's why I'm still here.

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
Re: WoD discussion thread
Alrighty, got a question here for ya if you don't mind answering.

Spoon, where did you learn how to draw like this and what did you use? It all looks bloody amazing.
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Photoshop and Emofuri, going by this.

Offline Wet Orange Ostrich Toilet

• Worst Modder HLP has ever seen
"I thought the Medal Display thingy was a baking tray!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Alrighty, got a question here for ya if you don't mind answering.

Spoon, where did you learn how to draw like this and what did you use? It all looks bloody amazing.
Thanks!
As Commander Zane already answered with the link to the previous blog post, I use Photoshop, and then Emofuri to animate (as seen in JAD, not yet to be seen in WoD).
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The ongoing Wings of Dawn episodes are a soft reboot right?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
More of a hard reboot really, while there a lot of common elements between old wod and new wod, they are kind of seperate entities at this point.
Urutorahappī!!

Is there anything specifically that you look for when considering the WoD soundtrack? I ask because I never watched Gundam 00, and the battle theme that you used for the original WoD was A: awesome, and B: very much anime in style. Some sound similar to Evangelion, others Macross, others original, which I'm sure is intentional.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Important things I look for is that anime feel, how well the music can match up with action, and set a certain atmosphere.
It's in general a lot harder to find ambient music than a high tension combat track.
Urutorahappī!!

If you had an "unlimited budget" so to speak for the setting. Is there any other type of game you think would work well? Not necessarily action, although it could be.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I would love to do a two layered turn based strategy game with the WoD setting. With a strategic and a tactical part and plenty of events to spice things. (so basically think of the WoD forum game, only done well)
Urutorahappī!!

So, I tried replaying the original Wings of Dawn, only to realize that I no longer have my 3.6.12 executable, and all the download links on that forum page are broken. Can someone rehost that file? I get crashes when trying to use 3.8 or 3.7.4.

Would be simpler to just fix the errors that happen on modern builds than trying to run it on some prehistoric exe.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Is anyone using a recent executable that can run WoD version 1.0?

WoD version 1.0 has bugs that the old builds couldn't catch, so newer ones will spew warnings at you when you try to run it. It's not too difficult to fix the tabling errors and make it run just fine on 3.8.1.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I spend the bare minimum time&effort to run it through a new debug build. What seemed to be causing the problems was a few cases of redundant ", in the ships.tbl.
https://mega.nz/#!tholEIjL!VXpUloQP64uhfJBtRGZ_SiIqJbULCsyCLcNJZpsuiko
It should probably run on new builds with this ships.tbl, though I guarantee nothing. I made it to the first mission at least, but didn't check beyond that.

You made me look at old WoD

I did not like what I saw.
Urutorahappī!!

Aw, don't be so critical of your old work. I still want to play it after all!

Aw, don't be so critical of your old work. I still want to play it after all!

Those are the drawbacks when you're a perfectionist.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Those are the drawbacks when you're a perfectionist.

This has nothing to do with being a perfectionist (although it being one makes it worse), it's just looking back and go "this was good enough?!". Just shows that you standards have evolved with your abilities.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."