Author Topic: WoD discussion thread  (Read 52781 times)

Re: WoD discussion thread
*unlocks "lewd"*

*shakes head at WoD team*

Not that I'm complaining...

On a more serious note, the more I replay the Blue Haven mission, the more fun I have with it. The first time around I didn't even realize there was an alternate way to accomplish it. My Gundam nerd is geeking out even harder somehow... :D
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Flak

The Blue Haven mission is very easy to cheese actually.

First time I did it in the hard way, running away from the turrets that is. Then, I just take a peek in, use the communicator to taunt them, run back out, and make a beeline for the ship. As soon as it is in range, call in the big guns. You can jump out immediately when they are done.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Debris damage is not fixed; it's calculated based on the collision and modified by a few factors. However, at capship scales, it is probably meant to operate in the scale of ships with a hundred thousand HP, because that's how much e.g. the Orion has; it might be worth tweaking the debris +Damage Multiplier (or, alternatively, setting its +Damage Type so that armor can apply).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

First time I did it in the hard way, running away from the turrets that is. Then, I just take a peek in, use the communicator to taunt them, run back out, and make a beeline for the ship. As soon as it is in range, call in the big guns. You can jump out immediately when they are done.

You sir, are missing the point so hard.

Why do something like that when you can
Spoiler:
steal a leftover Hazel, blow up some redshirts, live out your inner Zeon by blowing a hole in the side of the colony, and then have a showdown with the enemy leader in a dogfight?

Dawn suggested the nickname "Red Comet" for herself earlier. After doing that, it's pretty applicable, except she wasn't flying a red fighter. Or wearing a mask.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline -Norbert-

In mission 3 I'm supposed to set charges by hitting alt+x (it even says so right on my screen), but when I do nothing happens.

I tried resetting the controlls to default, but still nothing.

What am I missing?

Oh and while I'm at keyboard layouts, you mentioned that in WoD it's possible to swtich between new and classic FS2 controlls with a button-press... but which button is that?

You have to target the green circles, and then press Alt-X.

Tempest does mention this, but it's really easy to miss.

As to the keyboard layouts, hit the "Default" button in the control setting screen. Hit it once for FS controls, twice for WoD controls, and so forth.

Offline -Norbert-

Thanks, that did it. It's a bit confusing that you get the message to set the charge even without targeting the spot...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
I killed AndrewofDoom. Wonder if he knows about that...

Spoiler:
I do, and I my ghostly self is coming to your house for some sweet, sweet revenge.

I only noticed that I was a drone in the training mission just as I was blowing up. Probably a reference to how Axem was an enemy Nordera fighter in the original WoD. Hopefully. You're not being passive-aggressive with me are you, Spoon? :(

My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
When it comes to the Ray Mk. III and fleet logistics, are the E and W models now faction-exclusive (SF IIIE and DD IIIW), or do the other Terran fleets field them as well?

In-game suggests they're exclusive, while I may assume their use by the LSF because of "contribute ships, etc.," but the knowledge could be in what we haven't seen in the lore currently exposed.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The Blue Haven mission is very easy to cheese actually.

Fully aware this is possible, but after testing that mission 12367 times (and it's a painful one to test...) I simply lacked the mental fortitude to add even more checks to prevent this from happening. Mental fatigue was really setting in at the beginning of march.

*unlocks "lewd"*

*shakes head at WoD team*
Don't blame the team, that was all on me  :p

Probably a reference to how Axem was an enemy Nordera fighter in the original WoD.
Yes it was.
Hopefully. You're not being passive-aggressive with me are you, Spoon? :(
No I'm not  :p

When it comes to the Ray Mk. III and fleet logistics, are the E and W models now faction-exclusive (SF IIIE and DD IIIW), or do the other Terran fleets field them as well?

In-game suggests they're exclusive, while I may assume their use by the LSF because of "contribute ships, etc.," but the knowledge could be in what we haven't seen in the lore currently exposed.
Yeah those are faction exclusive. In theory the other factions could very likely reproduce those variants if they set their mind to it. But for various reasons have never decided to do so, It all depends on their fleet doctrines. The LSF (and thus the player) will have access to most of them though.

Debris damage is not fixed; it's calculated based on the collision and modified by a few factors. However, at capship scales, it is probably meant to operate in the scale of ships with a hundred thousand HP, because that's how much e.g. the Orion has; it might be worth tweaking the debris +Damage Multiplier (or, alternatively, setting its +Damage Type so that armor can apply).
Okay, so debris is not completely unworkable then! I should look into this...
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

So I went for that "100% player damage" replay. I think that was just the right difficulty to be enjoyable, got shot down by the Nordera once(what a shame, I know) and fighting the Zervium was such a rush. It can kill you in about 1.5 seconds if its beam hits you so you have to squeeze every ounce of performance out of your fighter while trying to catch the slippery bastard.
Had to use my primaries to force it to dodge, then rammed it with burners and unloaded with dumbfires and guns to force it to retreat. The 2nd time around was a bit easier because Tempest was somewhat useful in distracting it.

I don't think it's just the fighter itself though, whatever you did with the Cyrvan AI is great. It will zip around while trying to keep its guns pointed at you but it still prefers avoiding damage and won't suicidally rush you(like the Nordera).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Flak

The Cyrvans fighters are very vulnerable to those projectile weapons actually. Once the shield goes down, that whatever dumbfire secondary missiles will tear them like paper.

Yeah, the "El Derp" or whatever's it's called dumbfire is actually an energy weapon and will do massive hull damage once you blow through the pretty damn strong Cyrvan shields with the VK-03N. You just need them to stand still for a bit(which they usually don't, they keep gliding and side-thrusting all over the place).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Lorric

About the unlockable, can you get it through the techroom, or does a new campaign need to be started?

Spoiler:
steal a leftover Hazel, blow up some redshirts, live out your inner Zeon by blowing a hole in the side of the colony, and then have a showdown with the enemy leader in a dogfight?

Dawn suggested the nickname "Red Comet" for herself earlier. After doing that, it's pretty applicable, except she wasn't flying a red fighter. Or wearing a mask.
Whaaaaaaat... :eek2: Have to check this out…

Old WoD, which mission is Axem a Nordera fighter? Never saw that.

@AndrewofDoom

It’s your own fault. If you hadn’t started shooting at me, I might not have noticed you. :P

@ Spoon

About the debris, I was looking at Ralwood’s link, and it looks like you can make debris not be a factor at all by setting the max lifespan of it. Does that mean you could set it to like 1 second and it disappear almost immediately? Wing Commander Saga I’m like 95% sure doesn’t have debris.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The Cyrvans fighters are very vulnerable to those projectile weapons actually. Once the shield goes down, that whatever dumbfire secondary missiles will tear them like paper.
I found that Type 74 is the real best. If you're a good marksman, it'll tear CSA fighters apart with surprising ease. :) It's got plenty of range, doesn't cycle between firepoints and does massive hull damage as far as mass drivers go. It one-shots most shields, and the second shot will most often kill any small fighter that isn't a Cyrvan or Nordera. The drawback is, of course, the ammo limit and slow ROF, but I haven't ran out even once and if you aim carefully, the ROF won't be a concern. Cyrvans are notoriously hard to get a bead on with the mass driver, but if you get a few shots in in quick succession, they're dead.

Offline -Norbert-

Coming back to the unlockable stuff... I tried looking all over mission 3 (the one with the five charges, right?), but I only found asteroids. I tried blowing up the two right next to the starting point (and their impact debris looks almost Shivan oO ), but still nothing. Can someone tell me what I'm missing please?

Offline Veers

It took me ages to figure it out for M3, and I found it at the end by accident.

Second Playthrough, this time on Insane. Much more comfortable with the control scheme now, so probably why I was much better overall.
Spoiler:
'Borrowed' a ship, released a prisoner and kept two little elves for my growing... list of friends.

Quite good :)
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

You sure we played the same game Dragon? Because the Type-74 has by far the lowest hull damage of any weapon in WoD. It does 12 hull DPS compared to the VK03N's 25. Obviously the Energy weapons all deal far more than that.
It does have pretty good anti-shield alpha though, but the VK still deals 10 more sustained dps if you can stay on target.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:49:26 am by FrikgFeek »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You sure we played the same game Dragon? Because the Type-74 has by far the lowest hull damage of any weapon in WoD. It does 12 hull DPS compared to the VK03N's 25. Obviously the Energy weapons all deal far more than that.
It does have pretty good anti-shield alpha though, but the VK still deals 10 more sustained dps if you can stay on target.
It's true that the Type-74 has an abysmal hull DPS, even the light weapons will outperform it in that category. However there is something to be said for having 240-320 upfront alpha shield damage! I think it comes down to pilot preference, imo Dragon raises a few very valid points about the Type-74.

About the unlockable, can you get it through the techroom, or does a new campaign need to be started?
It's a campaign variable, can't do it through the techroom.

About the debris
Sorry, I still haven't taken a look into this.

Coming back to the unlockable stuff... I tried looking all over mission 3 (the one with the five charges, right?), but I only found asteroids. I tried blowing up the two right next to the starting point (and their impact debris looks almost Shivan oO ), but still nothing. Can someone tell me what I'm missing please?
Spoiler:
Don't move from your starting position in mission 3, rotate a bit to your right. You should be able to spot the container.

except she wasn't flying a red fighter.
The Ray I is half red!  :p
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Well, true, high alpha goes well with the Ray3 hammerspace device. You can fire off a burst then quickly switch to avoid losing DPS. Blowing through a shield quadrant with the type-74 then destroying the hull with the Vx-08 is a viable strategy, I just found it weird that Dragon said the Type-74
does massive hull damage
which it absolutely does not.