Author Topic: WoD discussion thread  (Read 52788 times)

Re: WoD discussion thread
There's really no reason not to play the optional level though. It's pretty fun(if a bit easy because you have a lot of backup) and you can get 2 capship kills.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Other than to see how the dialog changes in the VN scene.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Aright, that was pretty useful feedback.

Other than to see how the dialog changes in the VN scene.
It also changes what variable gets saved for future episodes
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
As in Episode 2? Mission variables can pass to different campaigns?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks to some of Axem's lua magic.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
That's very impressive. I've already done four playthroughs to see how many things I can do differently, and that's going to skyrocket.

I'm curious about the rooms made for the backgrounds, given they're from Space Engineers. Were those made by you or someone on the team? And were they part of a ship or station, or just single rooms?

Offline Axem

I made them with a bunch of mods (partial credit list is in the game somewhere). The sets were sort of constructed like movie sets. Dawn's room, the bridge and hangar were all connected with the hallways seen, but nothing was laid out like it would be in the actual ship.

Offline Lorric

So how does it work if I have more than one pilot with the same campaign or replay the campaign or make a separate pilot for each episode?

I intend on making a separate pilot for each episode.

Like for instance if I go through to see what happens when I skip that mission would that be saved as the variable even though my "real" choice would have been to save the Ostfront?

Or what if you have no variable at all because someone comes in and plays the episodes out of order?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I would assume skipping episodes or playing them out of order would load a default variable for a "canon" outcome.

Like FreeSpace 1, doesn't the third mission have additional ships if you don't find the ace? If you go to the Tech Lab and just load the mission doesn't it load as if the bonus wasn't completed?

Offline Lorric

Another question, do the variables carry over to the techroom for replaying missions?

I wonder if letting Ophelia live is a good thing or a bad (or inconsequential?). I don't know if you get to keep the Hazel. I assume she dies if the Zephy blows the Contravention.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Mmmm.. thinking I might need to replay it just to check if I missed something.
So many things being said that I don't recall!
el hombre vicio...

Offline -Norbert-

Another question, do the variables carry over to the techroom for replaying missions?

I wonder if letting Ophelia live is a good thing or a bad (or inconsequential?). I don't know if you get to keep the Hazel. I assume she dies if the Zephy blows the Contravention.
Wait... you can keep her alive? I thought calling in the Zephy to blow up the Contravention was the only way for the mission to succeed.

There's an alternate way to complete the mission.

Look around inside the colony very carefully before you call in the attack.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
It took me ages to find it... in fact I didn't after spending 20 mins flying up and down the station so edited the mission file to remove the stealth flag so I could target it at the mission start  :nervous:

Sure is a fun way to complete the mission though :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

This campaign has a heap of novel and varied weapons, but I never really felt comfortable experimenting with them when I was going into a live combat mission with no idea how my guns were going to perform. I realise it's probably not practical to introduce weapons piecemeal like in FS2, but have you thought about making some kind of sandbox where the player can experiment with different weapons and get a feel for them without any narrative pressure?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This campaign has a heap of novel and varied weapons, but I never really felt comfortable experimenting with them when I was going into a live combat mission with no idea how my guns were going to perform. I realise it's probably not practical to introduce weapons piecemeal like in FS2, but have you thought about making some kind of sandbox where the player can experiment with different weapons and get a feel for them without any narrative pressure?
Yeah, for that reason I only gave the players a small selection of weapons (only 4 primary weapons out of like 14 available) this campaign. In episode 2 I'm planning on giving the player access to a simulator during most of the VN segments, so you can experiment in peace with all the new weapons.

Campaign variables do not work when playing through the techroom.

I would assume skipping episodes or playing them out of order would load a default variable for a "canon" outcome.

Like FreeSpace 1, doesn't the third mission have additional ships if you don't find the ace? If you go to the Tech Lab and just load the mission doesn't it load as if the bonus wasn't completed?
The variables will mostly be extras, if you play it out of order or through the techroom you'll get none of their benefits.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Campaign variables do not work when playing through the techroom.
So I guess there's a "default" setting then. I decided to check the VN with the bath scene in the techroom and yes, the bath scene option is gone even though I unlocked it in the campaign. It's a shame that campaign variables will be one time deals. Not a problem if you only plan on playing through the missions one time, but a problem if you want to replay, as I will very much. So that unfortunately has me hoping there won't be anything too special, too awesome with the variables, as it will only be able to be experienced once.

Offline -Norbert-

I forgot to mention this before, but I really liked the diary, people and picture section.  :yes:

Offline LoneFan

Wait, there's no lets play yet on youtube. Get to work QuantumDelta.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yesterday I saw this 'spike' of like 10-20 visitors (yeah, that's a spike, WoD's download numbers are not exactly taking off like a rocket) on the moddb page, which let me to discover http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/04/wings-of-dawn-standalone-space-shooter.html this.
Neat.

Violation Inc. though  :lol:
Urutorahappī!!