Author Topic: WoD discussion thread  (Read 52782 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: WoD discussion thread
Looks like it's getting recognized in a French gaming site as well.

Offline Lorric

Free Standalone game, perhaps it could lure some people who have never played Freespace before to make a purchase after playing this...

Offline Lorric

I know the names of the people in the headanis that weren't named. I don't think I missed anyone. Because unless Spoon is planting fake names in there, that's what they're called in FRED. :)
Spoiler:
The Cyrvan in the opening is Valria (Isa of course is also there), the woman on the Ostfront is Lena and the Cyrvan that shows up in that mission is Listra.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Oops... potential spoilers ho!

Spoiler:
I was intrigued by the dream-cutscene where you have the Cyrvan  fleet attacking something above your point of view.  There's a Hertak capship that jumps in and is almost instantly destroyed, presumably not by the Cyrvan's since they're all firing up. You start to pan up to see what they're attacking but it fades to black before you get there. Could they be fighting the Fir'kyr? Dawn was supposed to be the only one able to interface with Infi in WoD1, what if that has the potential to go horribly wrong and that's why the Cyrvans are all worried about Dawn and are treating her like an "evil artifact"? :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Oops... potential spoilers ho!

Spoiler:
I was intrigued by the dream-cutscene where you have the Cyrvan  fleet attacking something above your point of view.  There's a Hertak capship that jumps in and is almost instantly destroyed, presumably not by the Cyrvan's since they're all firing up. You start to pan up to see what they're attacking but it fades to black before you get there. Could they be fighting the Fir'kyr? Dawn was supposed to be the only one able to interface with Infi in WoD1, what if that has the potential to go horribly wrong and that's why the Cyrvans are all worried about Dawn and are treating her like an "evil artifact"? :)

Spoiler:
You can move your ship and look around before you jump. It's actually a combined Cyrvan/Zy/Cordi fleet. There are Zy on the left and a Cordi ship in the back. That got my attention right away as soon as I started playing it. And the Hertak ship jumps in and is immediately obliterated by something else before your own fleet gets crushed. There's a ship I don't know firing up as well (opened FRED to see what, it's Cordi. I also know what's up top, but I don't think that's our culprit, it's just serving as something to shoot at, there's a Fura'ngle Arbiter up there.) The Fir'Kyr are certainly a big possibility. Interestingly, in FRED, they have their own team in the list of teams. Now, I had thought beforehand of the Hertak prophecy from the first game, about how they were gathering their thralls to battle an ancient race that will return to destroy them. So maybe we all end up joining forces to face that race? Hopefully not after having been subjugated by the Hertak. Who knows, the Cyrvans could be part of the Hierarchy. But they have their own team too, so I doubt it. There's a Hierarchy team as well. I hadn't thought of the Fir'Kyr though. The name was known to me, but I had somehow imprinted them in my mind as the race the Cyrvans took under their wing, when that race is in fact the Yehio. That little wiki article says "the Fir'Kyr are an ancient species, as old or even older than the Aleyurians." So this could be the race the Hertak were talking about and we'll get to meet them. I think it's a good possibility. Infi was made by the Aleyurians though. But yes, that was something unique about Dawn. The Prometheus Frame is in the game, and that was but a light fighter of the Aleyurians and yet had incredible destructive power. If an evil faction could get Dawn to awaken something that was substantially higher up the totem pole than a light fighter...
EDIT: Apologies for some confusion that may have been caused, message has been edited after watching the cutscene again.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:21:43 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

Big spoiler:

Spoiler:
The Fura'ngle Arbiter I mentioned in the previous post is on the Fir'Kyr team.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That's certainly quite interesting. However I wonder if using the contents of the mission files is a good indication of what's going on, i.e. only 'what we see' is accurate to the story.  Maybe the ship being targeted is just a placeholder until the appropriate model is built?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Yeah, I said the same thing. My prediction is the ship is a placeholder.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Stupid question: Is spoon actually Japanese? Or does he just really like anime?
Stuff

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Or does he just really like anime?

AFAIK this                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
----
----

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is Spoon actually Japanese?
Not unless Japan conquered the Netherlands while I wasn't looking.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Well, stranger things have happened.
Stuff

Offline Flak

Both Japan and the Netherlands have conquered my land in the past at some point. Irony?

Offline -Norbert-

For me it'd be great if Japan invaded the Netherlands. Imagien how much the import-cost would drop if the postal service would have to send a package through only two or three other countries instead of literally to the other side of the globe. :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Macross Delta talk split and send to general discussion
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline QuakeIV

• test
So I just played this after the low level drama in the blue planet subforum, and I have to say this was quite enjoyable.  I eagerly await more.

Offline -Norbert-

You should also play the "old" WoD, it's a lot of fun.

And while the information isn't exactly up-to-date due to NuWoD changing things, it'll still give you a better feeling for what the universe is like and what may come in future releases in some form or the other.

Did I already mention that it's fun to play? Because it is.

Edit: Speaking of which... is there still a download link for the old WoD around somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:48:54 am by -Norbert- »

Check WoD Archive. ;)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
TIL playing a few campaigns with the original controls and going straight back to fighting Cyrvans is a good way to get your ass stomped. :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
 :lol:

(Remember that you can easily swap between the FS2 default control scheme and the WoD setup by pressing the 'defaults' button in the control config.)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them