Author Topic: What to call the Terrans who live in the GTVA?  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
What to call the Terrans who live in the GTVA?
If one must contrast them with the NTF/Rebellion of the Week/Earth Faction of Choice, then we can't just call them 'Terrans", now can we? You can just call them the GTVA, though that designation sounds more appropriate when it includes the 'V' half of the Alliance. Personally, I think "Galactic Terrans" sounds like a good way to distinguish them from other Terran factions, though nobody seems to have used that designation thus far.

Of course, this question has no definitive answer, as :v: never bothered to address it, nor the fandom community. Because I'm probably the only one who cares. So what's YOUR preferred moniker for the Terrans of the GTVA?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: What to call the Terrans who live in the GTVA?
Well, Blue Planet uses the nickname/epithet "Tev" for pretty much exactly the reason you stated (to focus on the T part of GTVA).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Vrets

Tverrans, of course.

Hey, I wonder where "Alpha 1" hails from. Ribos? Delta Serpentis? Loyalist from Sirius?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Terrans.

It's a species, not a political, moniker. If you want political affiliation, they're GTVA.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
In TI, we have the pirates calling them "Teevers", but that's more of a slang term for the GTVA military generally, rather than the Terran half specifically.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Terrans.

It's a species, not a political, moniker. If you want political affiliation, they're GTVA.

yup
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Yes, but what's desired here is a term that refers specifically to the terran half of the GTVA.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
GTA.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Well, I had an idea of calling terrans "Earthers", because of all this home-longing sentiment.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

'GTA' already refers to the pre-Great War organisation, and it should stay that way IMO. 'Earther' is just a recipe for confusion if you're also going to mention the actual populace of Sol.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

'Colonials' works on a semantic basis but YMMV on whether it fits with the Freespace theme.

Offline Kie99

I agree with the logic but Galactic Terrans is a bit of a mouthful to be commonly used.  I think you'd more likely end up with GTerrans for GTVA, ETerrans for Earth Alliance etc.as long as their aren't a huge number of independent factions.   Neo Terrans sort of works either way.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes, but what's desired here is a term that refers specifically to the terran half of the GTVA.

Still Terrans, unless for some reason your viewpoint outside the GTVA. It's everybody else who gets adjectivized.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Still Terrans, unless for some reason your viewpoint outside the GTVA. It's everybody else who gets adjectivized.
That doesn't really make sense.

"Yeah, us Terrans are currently fighting those Earthers."
"Uh... aren't they also Terrans?"
"Of course not; they're not in the GTVA."
":wtf:"
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Spacenoids
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
A far break-away system would probably call the terran part of the GTVA "capellans", since most outworlders they'd know are capellan refugies relocated into their world by the GTVA government. It should also be quite an insulting nickname since we all know that Capella wasn't the GTVA's best moment.
I guess Sol could call them Tevs/GalTevs, exiles or Betas/Betacs/Betsys (for Beta Aquilae, capital of the GTVA).

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Mon-keigh? :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
GTVA = Gerrans ("Jerrans")
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Vrets

Betas (for Beta Aquilae, capital of the GTVA).

I love this one, it's so derogatory. :p

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Quote from: wiki
Galactic Terran Vasudan Alliance
Motto: Nos excreturi invitus facit.
Capital: Beta Aquilae
Largest City: New Burgerburgh
Population: ~10,000,000,000
Demonym: Home Slice
Walk up music: Who Let The Dogs Out?