Author Topic: New Horizons Pluto Close Flyby - July 14, 2015  (Read 8023 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
New Horizons Pluto Close Flyby - July 14, 2015
Hey, guys. You may not have heard in the recent months that NASA's New Horizons spacecraft is now approaching Pluto, which was demoted from a planet status in 2006. On July 14, it will make a historic close approach to the dwarf planet.

Here's the image of Pluto/Charon:

Source: LORRI Images from the Pluto Encounter (displayed in raw form without special stretching)

Did you see that, Pluto and Charon gets bigger in raw images!

We'll keep you updated about New Horizons' flyby of Pluto.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: New Horizons Pluto Close Flyby - July 14, 2015
Theme song for this thread:

Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Thanks, Bobboau. I liked it :)

Check out this video from NASA:

Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Luis Dias

They have their twitter account as well for anyone into that kind of source https://twitter.com/NewHorizons2015

Offline watsisname

I'd been curious about how the image scale of Pluto would change with time as we get closer to the flyby, so I put together a couple of plots.  These assume a constant Pluto-relative velocity of 13.8km/s (good assumption; New Horizon's is going WAY faster than the escape speed) and a closest approach distance of 12472km (current objective if no debris hazard avoidance maneuvers are required).

Currently we're 21 days out and the angular size of Pluto is about 20 arcseconds (comparable to the size of Saturn as seen from Earth!).  This will improve to about 10 degrees at closest approach. But given New Horizon's fast speed and Pluto's small size, that good view will only last for a few minutes!  And we get a 1° view for about 5 hours.

That's a very short encounter for such a long time waiting.  Interplanetary travel is crazy.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, it's a pity that we can't flip on the infinite-fuel cheat and magic up some massive delta-v to get into orbit and hang around for a while.  But even the little time we have there should give us some amazing pictures.  The cool part is that the closest fly-by is right before my birthday, so I'll get some pretty pictures to look at as presents. :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Just be aware that it will take over a year to return all the data from the flyby.  (This is one of the more insane facts about this mission.)  During the flyby itself, New Horizons will be storing all the data to its on-board memory.  It can only return that data in a trickle because the power of the radio signal is so much weaker at Pluto.

And if the extended mission to fly past another KBO is approved, the situation will be even more constrained in 2019!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
A promotional video from the maker of "Wanderers":

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yeah, it's a pity that we can't flip on the infinite-fuel cheat and magic up some massive delta-v to get into orbit and hang around for a while.  But even the little time we have there should give us some amazing pictures.  The cool part is that the closest fly-by is right before my birthday, so I'll get some pretty pictures to look at as presents. :D

Yeah, having looked into this stuff for writing, holy crap does the willingness to do constant burns improve your life.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

*Insert Mass Effect joke*

Offline Luis Dias

Offline Luis Dias

19.7 million kms from target.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
I'm so anxious!  It's such a quick flyby!  What if a programmer goofed up?  What if we miss our chance?  What if the pictures are really horrible??  What if it's just a boring grey blob??   :shaking:

Offline Luis Dias

WHAT IF IT'S JUST A PLANET WITH FEATURES ON IT?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm so anxious!  It's such a quick flyby!  What if a programmer goofed up?  What if we miss our chance?  What if the pictures are really horrible??  What if it's just a boring grey blob??   :shaking:

Then lobby for another Pluto mission!

Or lobby for a Neptune orbiter.  That would have plenty of chances to study Triton, which scientists think is a captured KBO.

Offline Luis Dias

Offline watsisname

Hopefully the only glitch on this mission just happened:

Quote from: nasa.gov
The New Horizons spacecraft experienced an anomaly the afternoon of July 4 that led to a loss of communication with Earth. Communication has since been reestablished and the spacecraft is healthy.

The mission operations center at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, Laurel, Maryland, lost contact with the unmanned spacecraft -- now 10 days from arrival at Pluto -- at 1:54 p.m. EDT, and regained communications with New Horizons at 3:15 p.m. EDT, through NASA’s Deep Space Network.

During that time the autonomous autopilot on board the spacecraft recognized a problem and – as it’s programmed to do in such a situation - switched from the main to the backup computer. The autopilot placed the spacecraft in “safe mode,” and commanded the backup computer to reinitiate communication with Earth. New Horizons then began to transmit telemetry to help engineers diagnose the problem. 

A New Horizons Anomaly Review Board (ARB) was convened at 4 p.m. EDT to gather information on the problem and initiate a recovery plan. The team is now working to return New Horizons to its original flight plan. Due to the 9-hour, round trip communication delay that results from operating a spacecraft almost 3 billion miles (4.9 billion kilometers) from Earth, full recovery is expected to take from one to several days; New Horizons will be temporarily unable to collect science data during that time.

Status updates will be issued as new information is available.

Very scary for this to happen only 9 days from the flyby.  Unless it's not a coincidence?  Maybe Pluto is reacting to our sending it a lump of Plutonium...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:17:07 am by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, how would we react to a lump of plutonium arriving at low relativistic speeds on something approching a colision path from a distant part of the solar system we never considered possible for life to survive in
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together