Author Topic: What would you like to see in a 'Freespace 1 Blue'?  (Read 16485 times)

Offline CT27

What would you like to see in a 'Freespace 1 Blue'?
Recently in Blue Planet Complete, the BP team released an updated version of the main FS2 campaign called FS2 Blue which had a number of changes.

Hypothetically, if the main FS1 campaign was to be 'redone' in a similar fashion, what would you like to see changed?

Re: What would you like to see in a 'Freespace 1 Blue'?
capships that do something
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Since people have said the in-game text lies to you about the Avenger vs. Prometheus, I think if there's ever a 're-do' of FS1 like this, Prometheus stats (shield damage, maybe range, etc.) should be buffed so it actually is better than the Avenger.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The campaign "What If: Another Great War" is a pretty good reimagining of the FS1 campaign.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Railguns. Freaking railguns or some other anti-capital weapons for all races. I hate capship battles in FS1
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Since people have said the in-game text lies to you about the Avenger vs. Prometheus, I think if there's ever a 're-do' of FS1 like this, Prometheus stats (shield damage, maybe range, etc.) should be buffed so it actually is better than the Avenger.
It's not that it says the Prometheus has better shield damage it's that it says it does more damage in general, both shield and hull, and the banshee claims to do more than the Prometheus.

Frankly, it would be kind of dull if each new weapon was straight up better than the last as the descriptors for each suggest.

Also, Synaptic bomb is near useless.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Once upon a time I had a dream of tackling this myself.

If I had to pick just one something, it would be to combine Evangelist and Doomsday into a single mission that captures the full scale of the Battle of Deneb. I actually had a pretty good working first draft of this at one point, but held back on releasing it in order to avoid stealing someone else's thunder. That thunder never materialized, and this all happened a half decade ago, though, so I think it's safe to talk about now. :)

In general, just making the "big" battles feel bigger now that engine limitations are no longer such a constraining factor. And of course all the AI tweak goodness.

I would add squadrons, as FS2 uses them and even references some from FS1:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84282

Polishing FS1 up to an acceptable standard is a topic that comes up a lot and there are tons of good ideas for it but nobody has managed to actually organise a project to do it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Railguns. Freaking railguns or some other anti-capital weapons for all races. I hate capship battles in FS1

I think giant laser cannons would be best, personally. Railguns don't have the right feel for FS1, but if those enormous turrets on the Orion actually fired big flashy WW2-style blasts they'd be a lot more interesting.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

While it would indeed feel cool, it would actually be counter to the way the universe is in FS1. The fact that capships can't kill each other quickly was actually a major plot point. It was the reason why the Terran - Vasudan war had gone on so long. Neither side was able to actually crush the other side's capships.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Karajorma's got a point canon wise. However, it still could be done...if done right. :) Say for example the Terrans were developing railgun technology for ship to ship weapons and they were in the development phase with some performance issues or reliability problems. Take that and run with it :)

Just my two GTA cents worth!

All the best,
Jadehawk
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I would go with classic blue railguns for terrans and yellow plasma drivers for vasudans and I would not make those weapons very strong. Maybe two times as Terran Huge Turret? The point is to make player aware that dedicated anti-capital ship weapons exist, but is not as efficient as we would like them to be. In practice, capship battles would be only a one quarter faster than retail ones.

Yes - I would make weapons which do almost nothing but looking cool :P. And yes - for canon reasons.

Whatever. Just rid off all those awful blobs away from me!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
The blob is freespace, the blob is life.

Just make it look good.

Do whatever the hell you want, but make the Capitals have OMPH when they fight. The only ship that has that is the Lucifer, thanks to its beams.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

While it would indeed feel cool, it would actually be counter to the way the universe is in FS1. The fact that capships can't kill each other quickly was actually a major plot point. It was the reason why the Terran - Vasudan war had gone on so long. Neither side was able to actually crush the other side's capships.

Dose bombers tho...

Seriously, FS1 as a setting doesn't really make much sense. Bolting a couple of dozen Apollos to the side of an Orion would vastly improve the destroyers effectiveness, but they don't do it, for game balance reasons obviously.

I would say range is a factor. Increase the range if FS1 anti cap blobs so they can engage at three or four thousand metres, giving them something to do before the fighters and bombers come I to play. That and more use of fusion mortars and similar.

Of course doing that would mean fundamentally changing the ships, their turrets, capabilities etc., so it's a bit more involved than simple, light touch rebalancing.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Polishing FS1 up to an acceptable standard is a topic that comes up a lot and there are tons of good ideas for it but nobody has managed to actually organise a project to do it.

dude did you even see what I wrote above

Sure, but that has no relevance to what I'm talking about, which is all the conversations I've seen in the last couple of years about improvements people would like to make to FS1.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
FS1 capship battles are fine, they need some visular polish (adding trails to the THT, VHT and SMT does it) but otherwise not much to change there on the table side ... sprincle in some cruiser support (Fusion Mortar FTW) and it looks good

Now bombers on the other hand need a little love in a reimagining of FS, away from the dive bomber style to something more akin torpedo boats or somthing (all FS1 era-bombers, exception for the Athena and the Zeus) are already patterned with a "flying fortress"-design in mind, esspeically the Osiris and Amun

But what I would want most off all: MAKE USE OF THE SD DEMON! and not just as a big target, the Demon can be made to look awesome (see ST:R)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

FS1 capship battles are not "fine". An Orion is incapable of destroying anything at all except by ramming. Capships in FS1 have absolutely no gameplay presence except as big setpieces to get blown up by bombs or the Lucifer.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The campaign "What If: Another Great War" is a pretty good reimagining of the FS1 campaign.
^ this

You could do another reimagining of FS1, but you'd have to bring something to the table that AGW doesn't. Does everyone in this thread has even played it?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras