Author Topic: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread  (Read 142325 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
I think there was a file missing by accident that I had meant to put back in, but I was waiting until I was all ready for a completely new release with a bunch of new content...

So throw the attached file in the /data/tables/ directory (keeping its name as zLoadFirst-sct.tbm) and it should work... I hope... :nervous:

[attachment deleted by admin]

I think there was a file missing by accident that I had meant to put back in, but I was waiting until I was all ready for a completely new release with a bunch of new content...

So throw the attached file in the /data/tables/ directory (keeping its name as zLoadFirst-sct.tbm) and it should work... I hope... :nervous:

As in the actual master data directory or one I need to create in the mod folder?  Actually sorry, that's a dumb question, and it seems to be working now, thanks man! :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:25:17 pm by hack-wizard »

Offline Axem

Should be the mod folder, but root /data/ would work. Its just not recommended since players sometimes leave files that might conflict with other mods there.

Glad to hear it works now. :)

Offline Boyos

• Steam
Using the latest release of jad 2.21 with the build from the installer causes the launcher (I'm using wxlauncher if it matters) to crash as soon as I hit play, I tried re-downloading everything but had no success, am I missing something?

Offline Axem

Sorry to hear that. :(  Can you download this debug build and pastebin the fs2_open.log?

Offline Boyos

• Steam
It looks like it isn't even editing the fs2_open.log assuming it's the one in freespace2/data

Offline Axem

Newer builds are stuffing things like that in your AppData directory. Try looking in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\data for the log file.

(Where username is... your username of course :))

Offline Boyos

• Steam
My C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/HardLightProductions/FreespaceOpen directory is empty.

(where USERNAME is my username)

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Delta 1 still calls his MegaDOOM Torpedo (or something to that effect) the Helios Apocalypse.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Axem

Boyos: That's uh... very weird. What are your general system specs? Are you running a 64 bit operating system?

Thisisaverylongusername: Noted... :sigh:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
My C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/HardLightProductions/FreespaceOpen directory is empty.

(where USERNAME is my username)
Which version of wxLauncher are you using?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Boyos

• Steam
I'm running version 0.10.1 of wxlauncher, 64bit windows 7 service pack 1, 16 GB ram, AMD FX6300 six core processor at 3.5GHz, and an Nvidia GTX 760.

I'm also running wxlauncher as administrator.

Offline Axem

I guess try a wxLauncher test build? 0.12.something?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=89162.0

If that works, I'll be sure to add that to the list of requirements.

Offline Boyos

• Steam
Using the latest test build of wxlauncher fixed it, thanks for the help :)

Offline Axem

Good to hear! I hope you enjoy it!

I've added the wxLauncher requirement to the original post so everyone else will be aware.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
Why do I not have shields in Pirate Queen Holley?
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Axem

FRED didn't like the idea of Holley having fun in the sun so it decided to disable her shield subsystem. :nono:

No seriously, something weird happened that unticked the "Has Shield System" box for Holley, and reticking it and saving the mission didn't save that... And it only affected Holley, not her friends so... Yeah. I dunno. Clicking "force shields on" seems to fix it so... I'll upload a fix soonish...

EDIT: Okay, there's a fix available now. Update through the installer to get the update file.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:18:25 pm by Axem »

Is it possible to run the new JAD without SDL2? SDL2 takes a constant "left bank" command from my joystick no matter what I do. It makes completing any mission unbearable (http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92821.0). The joystick itself is fine (I can play older FS2 SCP builds, Star Citizen, Arma 3 and IL-2 games normally), so the problem must be within the SDL2 integration.

I remember there was a build consisting of APNG support before SDL2. But was the new "movie player" support before or after SDL2?  :wtf:

Any help is greatly appreciated  :(

Offline m!m

The new movie player was added after SDL2. You might need to rebind the joystick axes since the mapping may have changed with SDL2.

Offline Axem

I'm sorry to hear that, Lykurgos88. :( I don't know how easy it would be to have an SDL2-less build. Also I think there are some scripting IO quirks that required me to change things for SDL2, so even then it might not work correctly. I hope you can get it fixed (or... play mouse and keyboard? (just putting ideas out there! :nervous:))