Author Topic: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread  (Read 142322 times)

Offline m!m

Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
I think I found another bug in Get Revengeance (sorry...). You can jump to the junkyard multiple times but when you are already there and jump to it again then you break the mission.

Spoiler:
The storage station is present in the distance but nothing happens when I fly there.

Also, I encountered a CTD when
Spoiler:
fighting against Henrietta (is that her name? You know, the one with the pink ships) in the same mission.
I tried to reproduce it with an attached debugger but it didn't happen again. The last thing I saw before the crash was a HUD gauge with the title "Messages" and that may be related to the crash. Do you have such a HUD gauge and if yes, how do I trigger its activation?

Also, I played this on Linux and so far it works well. Great work!

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I accidentally made an epic fail in the last mission against the Hyper-Puddin' and it warped off, which gave me no debrief
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
In "Anything is Possible," I start the mission... and absolutely nothing happens.  :confused:
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Axem

m!m: The only gauge I can think of like that would be the retail messages gauge. But that gets auto-hidden on mission start so my scripted message gauge works.

And I'll look into your other issue. That was a tricky part to set up, even with all my testing I'm still not too surprised it can break. :(

JSRNerdo: Epic fail or... post-modern meta easter egg??? (I should fix that)

Thisisaverylongusername: Oh no! I'll take a look for sure later today.

Offline Boyos

• Steam
I found a couple arcade related bugs. The first is in the endless gauntlet if I take the Iapetus with a cloaking device in the third secondary slot I still get the lightning sword(spear?), and while the name of it doesn't change at max berserk tier I get a version that has the damage, charge up time, and visual effect of the max upgraded version with the lock on time and reload speed of the base version (all while having the cloaking device).

The other was that the HAXase virus secondary doesn't seem to work on anything in the endless gauntlet except the first boss, I tried it on various shivan fighters/bombers and the first two bosses.

Offline Axem

'Kay, I've made note of your bugs, I will hopefully get those (and the others) resolved tonight!

Offline Boyos

• Steam
I found a couple arcade related bugs. The first is in the endless gauntlet if I take the Iapetus with a cloaking device in the third secondary slot I still get the lightning sword(spear?), and while the name of it doesn't change at max berserk tier I get a version that has the damage, charge up time, and visual effect of the max upgraded version with the lock on time and reload speed of the base version (all while having the cloaking device).

The other was that the HAXase virus secondary doesn't seem to work on anything in the endless gauntlet except the first boss, I tried it on various shivan fighters/bombers and the first two bosses.

I tried playing with these some more and it turns out the Haxase virus bug happens after I use it on something, then if I shoot the same enemy I used it on while they're friendly till they become hostile (which also plays the "whose side are you on dialog"), anything else I use it on will just stay hostile.

The cloaking device one happens when I have a cloaking device equipped then once I hit the first berserk level it swaps it to a lightning spear and stays even if I lose berserk.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
For the first one, I think the game marked you as a traitor. (What did you expect to happen when you shoot a friendly?)
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Axem

Yeah, I think it's flagging you as a traitor. I'll be adding No Traitor mission flags to the XA missions where you can use the HAXase. (So just let them work for you! They'll self destruct after like 45 seconds)

Also I managed to fix most of the other bugs reported (just not m|m's messages related crash one, and the gatekeeper one is tricky so I'll look at it closer on the weekend), update will be going up shortly.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I've got two log files for you, from the latest and 2nd latest nightlies. Game CTDs on start in both cases.

One of them has a "Failed to read flag file" Error as well, but that may be a build-related issue.

Both builds coke up at the font.tbl

Logs attached.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I've got two log files for you, from the latest and 2nd latest nightlies.
Uh...
Code: [Select]
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.7.5.20160719
FreeSpace 2 Open version: 3.7.5.20160705
...No, those aren't even close to the latest nightlies. In fact, they're so old they don't have TTF font support, which is why you're getting this error:
fonts.tbl(line 5): Error: Required token = [#End] or [$Font:], found [$TrueType: OpenSans-Regular.ttf].
Try something more recent, like this nightly (and a newer version of wxLauncher that supports SDL2 builds).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Oops, turns out I had the folder sorted differently for no reason whatsoever, And I absentmindedly clicked on the bottom-most build.  :ick:

In other news: Now that I have the correct build selected, I get a "failed to read flag file" followed by a "Stopped working" the instant I run either the Win 64-bit and 32-bit versions of 12c9ba0.

I'll look in to it in a bit just wanted to say sorry for being dumb.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline CKid

Found a small bug in "Almost Anything is Possible". If you die with the cloaking field equipped and do a quick restart, the information panel for it disappears.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 03:30:42 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Axem

Thanks for the report. I'll add it to my to-fix list. :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Failed to load effect bleb!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

I'm going to need more detail than that. :p As far as I can see, the bleb effect is in the mod.

You're sure you have all the latest files? Can you do an fs debug log thing? Does a game restart fix the issue? What part of the zodiac was the moon in when it happened?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Can you do an fs debug log thing?

tell the ritual to summon el debugulo oh arcane one.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Axem

Dekker, Dekker, Dekker... You've been here how long? This will not look good for your final exam!

Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
What can i say,  yours is the first mod i've installed since 2012, i'm rusty....

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
What can i say,  yours is the first mod i've installed since 2012, i'm rusty....

You seem to have something wrong with the MediaVPs Radar Icons VP.  Maybe try:
1) rerun the installer
2) download & extract manually
3) delete the VP & move on :)

ASSERTION: "max_size > header_offset" at cfile.cpp:1760
 max_size (0) > header_offset in packfile D:\GAMES\Freespace 2\mediavps_2014\MV_RadarIcons.vp
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...