Author Topic: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread  (Read 142320 times)

Re: Just Another Troubleshooting Thread
I bet it's reading your built-in throttle as an axis and ignoring your twist which would cause constant rolling unless the throttle is centred. You could get that fixed by running a virtual stick instead and remapping your real stick onto it.
It's also possible that one of your axii is getting read as a slider which would mean that when centred the game actually reads it as being 50% to the right.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I bet it's reading your built-in throttle as an axis and ignoring your twist which would cause constant rolling unless the throttle is centred. You could get that fixed by running a virtual stick instead and remapping your real stick onto it.
It's also possible that one of your axii is getting read as a slider which would mean that when centred the game actually reads it as being 50% to the right.

My god.... You are right!  :eek2:

My joystick thrust was sending two commands at the same time: the twist AND the speed. Funny how SDL 2 interpreted this, but I totally managed to fix this after a series of remappings. Thank you very much!

The only downside now is that the force feedback is a bit too powerful. Sometimes when something very intensive happens (like an exploding destroyer next to the player) the joystick goes all limp and I have replug it to get the FF working again. Never happened with older SCP builds. Is there a way to reduce the FF intensity from game registry or something? My joystick apparently can't take this much beating  :lol:

Nevertheless I can play these missions now, FF or not =)
JAD is always super fun, and I expect to be blown away with 2.22  :cool:

PS: I feel like I don't like the PBR super flashiness. Like, at all  :sigh:. Glows are pretty horrible looking now. I guess I have to further decrease ambient lighting and bloom ;P

Set bloom to 40 for a decently flashy but not blinding value. Ambient should depend on campaign but I'd recommend keeping it at or under 60 with HDR builds.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The only downside now is that the force feedback is a bit too powerful. Sometimes when something very intensive happens (like an exploding destroyer next to the player) the joystick goes all limp and I have replug it to get the FF working again. Never happened with older SCP builds. Is there a way to reduce the FF intensity from game registry or something? My joystick apparently can't take this much beating  :lol:
I don't think FSO has ever had any convenient levers for altering force-feedback behavior... however, some options along those lines might be a good idea (although you're unlikely to see them in 3.8, since we're in a feature freeze right now).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Axem

Nevertheless I can play these missions now, FF or not =)
JAD is always super fun, and I expect to be blown away with 2.22  :cool:

PS: I feel like I don't like the PBR super flashiness. Like, at all  :sigh:. Glows are pretty horrible looking now. I guess I have to further decrease ambient lighting and bloom ;P

I'm glad to hear you got your problems sorted and enjoyed the campaign. :)

Also what FrikgFeek said, my own lighting settings are -no_emissive_light -ambient_factor 60 -bloom_intensity 20 and I found they're pretty good.

I don't see talk between Merv, Holley and Delta 1 at the end The Power of Friendship.
In other words they talk but text doesn't appear. :(

Offline Axem

That is weird. I tried to reproduce it but nothing... I can only suggest either restarting the mission or restarting the game if that happens.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
So this is weird.

Spoiler:
I'm at the interactive VN sequence where you can switch rooms and talk to different characters. I've run into something where if you do all of Delta 1's interactions first, go to the cafeteria and talk to Meddy, in order, just before the conversation of the third option ends, you can no longer advance. The exact point is when the screen flashes and Meddy says "Silence!" I have to restart the mission after this.

However, if you go straight to Meddy and select the third option first, the conversation can be fully read and you can go through every other character interaction in all three locations.

Offline m!m

I think I am hitting the same issue. It seems that after talking to a few people the "white flash" thing breaks something. This is the Lua error that appears:
Code: [Select]
[string "vs2-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:252: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'Line' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
<same file>:22: in function 'NextLine'
<same file>:2582: in function 'Actions'
[... On Action Stopped"]:2: in main chunk

Offline Axem

Huh...

Very strange, I will look into it when I get home from work today.

(Silly Delta 1, trying to hog all the conversations for himself)

Offline Axem

Actually I have a feeling this is due to Clippy trying to show up for a hint. It might not crash on any playthrough after the crash, no matter what path you go.

Offline m!m

I can always reproduce the issue if I first talk to Delta 1 and then to Meddy. It happens with other combinations as well but that's the one I can reliably reproduce. I have encountered the crash multiple times now and it still happens so maybe the code that disables Clippy hasn't been executed yet? I'm not sure how you do it but that may be one explanation.

Offline Axem

Blagh, ok. :nono:

Obviously this is the work of an enemy last-minute-bug.

Offline Boyos

• Steam
In the mission "...Get Revengeance" I got both halves of the pass phrase, but when I go to use them the gatekeeper keeps rejecting it, I tried just brute forcing it too and none of the combinations worked.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
In the mission "...Get Revengeance" I got both halves of the pass phrase, but when I go to use them the gatekeeper keeps rejecting it, I tried just brute forcing it too and none of the combinations worked.
Hit this too.

Spoiler:
Tried it in the Tech Room instead of the mission map. The mission saves your previous clues normally, but it appears to still randomize the passphrase of that current mission run.

May not need to be in this spoiler, but I've played the first side-story that was teased before and the Rhea doesn't activate its guns when Delta 1 comments on the ship being equipped with the Prometheus R. You can enable cheats to ~0 from <No Guns> and everything seemed to work beyond that point.

I tried closing the instance of FreeSpace and starting a new one to see if maybe things were just acting up over time, but that didn't do anything for either aforementioned issue.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I can confirm the vn not continueing after Meddy saying silence, definitely a last minute bug that snuck in. Because I've went through that vn in all of its revisions (except, clearly, the last minute one) and never had it happen before.

I can't reproduce the pass phrase bug and the rhea's weapon bug though.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
...Maybe I didn't restart for Artificial Malevolence since it worked after I tried again. Ignore that part.

Here's exactly what I did during ...Get Revengenace

Spoiler:
First playthrough, ran the mission exploring systems that sounded inconspicuous ("...red and black" tipped me off so I went there last). The clue I got was "cheese pasta," and used them to fight Tenth. At this point the head .anis were starting to act up so I closed the game after finishing the mission and started it back up. The start now has two cargo containers that you scan to get the clues early. Because I got cheese and pasta before, that's what I got from the containers. When I went to the junkyard, I was told the passphrase was wrong. Fought Dissy and Miffy, who oddly enough gave me the same clues. That's when I switched to the Tech Room and got "ham sandwich." Start a third time from the mission map. Clues tell me it's "cheese pasta" again; gatekeeper says it's wrong again.

Offline Axem

Just to let you know how the passphrase system in Get Revegeance works...

Spoiler:
At the start of the mission, if its being run for the first time, or in the tech room, sexps generate a random passphrase. The passphrase is saved to player persistent variables, which means they should be the same in the campaign no matter how many times you restart the mission (in the tech room though, they'll always generate to be new ones). Obviously something's gone super weird...

Offline Boyos

• Steam
When I played Get Revengeance for the first time I also ran into a head ani bug causing me to restart.

Specifically what I did:

Spoiler:
Picked Alex as my wingmate, went to the location miffy was at. Partway through fighting miffy the headani's stopped showing up and only appeared as a black square. I went to the junkyard but didn't have the complete passphrase so left to the location Henrietta was at. Here the timer didn't display but for the full duration of the timer my fps dropped to about 10, this never happened the other times I tried to play this mission. After that I went to fight Dissy, then when the vn box came up to equip the new weapon the first three choices were normal, but in the fifth space was "chowder" from the 2nd half of the passphrase questions from the gatekeeper, after that was when I restarted the mission and the passphrase I got "ham pasta" didn't work but I never encountered the other problems.

Offline Axem

I apologize for the inconvenience, most bugs have been fixed (or so I hope, until the next round of silly errors). An update has been posted! Re-run your installer or redownload jad222_root.

The only major issue still present is odd headani/graphics/files not being loaded behavior. There's not much I can do about it on a mod side of things at the moment. I suspect its a bmpman issue, and I need to help coders debug it. So if you run into weird graphical issues, try a game restart and it should go away.